'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

TP2000

Uh.... I don't get it. It looks weird, like something from an off-brand, second-tier animation studio. Or it looks like a Pixar cast-off from the early 2000's. So basically all Disney and Pixar movies are aesthetically indistinguishable from each other now, and you can't even claim that Disney cartoons are musicals with lavish production numbers in them. Because this didn't seem to be a musical, lavish or otherwise.

Disney really doesn't know how to make movies anymore, huh? Everything since Frozen has felt like a return to the early 2000's. This gives off such strong Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Lilo and Stitch, Meet the Robinsons vibes. Not a good sign.

Hm, I'm conflicted on this one. I LOVED the vibe from the original teasers, but this trailer does nothing for me. The cast doesn't seem likeable, and the lines that I think are supposed to be jokes don't hit with any actual humor.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Again, it feels like an off-brand animated movie from some second-tier studio, or maybe even a streaming service. Based in Canada, not California.

i’ll wait for the reviews, but will probably wait it out until it hits disney+.

Yup. Why bother taking the family to the multiplex at $18 per seat this Thanksgiving weekend when you can just make the family wait for a rainy weekend in January and watch it for FREE! on Disney+. :oops:

I would absolutely love to see the business plan behind sending these mega-budget $200 Million films to Disney+ for basically free after mediocre 60 day runs in movie theaters. Something tells me that wasn't the sales pitch the execs got in Burbank circa 2017 on why they should go all in on Disney+ while simultaneously spending $200 to $250 Million per film. 🤔
This feels very Disney+ to me. The characters designs are very generic for an animated movie.

Again, glad to see it's not just me on the Disney+ thing. :cool:

My impression after seeing the trailer = MEH!

Yup. But what's scary is that they spent $200 Million on the production budget for this. With big name stars, and a catering budget that must have been at least a couple million. For what? After their earlier box office tap-outs like Turning Red, or painful struggles like Lightyear, Disney's animated studios this year really need a big blockbuster hit this Thanksgiving/Christmas. 💰💰💰

But this movie doesn't look up to that task. Especially with the need to pull in $600 Million in box office between Thanksgiving and MLK Day just to break even.

Seriously, besides catering, how do they spend all that money making these cartoons??? o_O

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Uh.... I don't get it. It looks weird, like something from an off-brand, second-tier animation studio.

I thought the same, I cant figure out why the recent movies look weird but they don’t have the same look as previous Disney / Pixar 3d movies. Turning Red had the same issue.

The character style reminds me of Kung Fu Panda rather than Disney.

On the positive side the story looks good so I can’t wait to watch it once it hits Disney+.

Consumer

I thought the same, I cant figure out why the recent movies look weird but they don’t have the same look as previous Disney / Pixar 3d movies. Turning Red had the same issue.

The character style reminds me of Kung Fu Panda rather than Disney.

On the positive side the story looks good so I can’t wait to watch it once it hits Disney+.
It’s the Steven Universe look. Ugly characters made by ugly people for ugly people. Beauty is a sin to modern society and we must prop up the hideous. Strange world, indeed.

MickeyMouse10

This is definitely going to be put on D+ either right away or within a month or so after it debuts.

I'd love it if they put all their efforts into telling a great story with great characters. But that has become secondary for them for some reason. Even though that's what makes them money.

Magenta Panther

It’s the Steven Universe look. Ugly characters made by ugly people for ugly people. Beauty is a sin to modern society and we must prop up the hideous. Strange world, indeed.

To think that Pixar feels the need to copy that look is very telling as to the quality of its current leadership. Since when did Pixar have to copy anyone else's style? It used to SET the style. How far it's fallen...

BuddyThomas

Buddy LOVED the Pinocchio trailer because of bald Blue Fairy. Then the flick turned out to be a stinkeroo. Tsk. Maybe trailers can serve as a valid warning after all, at least to people with taste and discernment. :cool:
Incorrect. I loved the trailer because it was a great trailer. The film itself is unforgivably bad. But at least I waited for the freaking thing to be released before I came on here an babbled a bunch of baseless judgements like you, Mean Mickey, and that martini shaking dog do all the time.

Animaniac93-98

I loved the first trailer but didn't like the second. I agree that this feels weirdly like an early 2000s Disney movie. Now I happened to like Atlantis and Treasure Planet and thought Meet the Robinsons is better than its reputation, but all of those were commercial dissapointments.

And not just those movies, but Titan AE and The Iron Giant were also financial failures upon their initial release.

The track record for Western animated sci-fi in theaters is pretty bad, regardless of any one film's quality. Lilo and Stitch and Wall-E appear to be the main exceptions, but the former isn't really hard sci-fi after the prologue and Wall-E was released at a time when Pixar had a near flawless track record for critical and commercial success.

Given all that, it's surprising this movie even got green lit in the first place.

However, the lack of substantial promotion 2 months out suggests that Disney may have already regretted that decision.

Ghost93

However, the lack of substantial promotion 2 months out suggests that Disney may have already regretted that decision.
It also doesn't help that the movie is sandwiched in between Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Avatar: The Way of Water — two movies that have a good chance of making more than a billion dollars. Since Disney now owns Marvel and the Avatar franchise, the company will probably make more of an effort to promote those films than Strange World.

Animaniac93-98

It also doesn't help that the movie is sandwiched in between Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Avatar: The Way of Water — two movies that have a good chance of making more than a billion dollars. Since Disney now owns Marvel and the Avatar franchise, the company will probably make more of an effort to promote those films than Strange World.

It's like they feel obligated to have a more traditional Disney title for Thanksgiving, but that's also when Disenchanted comes to Disney+

The scheduling of Strange World's release is just...strange.

Sir_Cliff

And not just those movies, but Titan AE and The Iron Giant were also financial failures upon their initial release.

The track record for Western animated sci-fi in theaters is pretty bad, regardless of any one film's quality. Lilo and Stitch and Wall-E appear to be the main exceptions, but the former isn't really hard sci-fi after the prologue and Wall-E was released at a time when Pixar had a near flawless track record for critical and commercial success.

Given all that, it's surprising this movie even got green lit in the first place.
I'm more in the camp of being surprised that Disney green lit a new sci-fi animated adventure in the first place than thinking the trailer looks bad. The track record suggests the odds are stacked against it finding a big audience no matter how good it may be.

The trailer to me suggests the film that could go either way, but I don't have the negative reaction some people on here are having. I also don't really get the criticism of the film's look: it seems like Disney will either get criticised for all their films looking the same or new films not looking "Disney" enough. Overall, I'd rather they at least play around with new character designs rather than have everything look the same.

I do think there are a lot of things up against this film being a hit. However, the jury remains out on that and whether the film is any good or not.

erasure fan1

To think that Pixar feels the need to copy that look is very telling as to the quality of its current leadership. Since when did Pixar have to copy anyone else's style? It used to SET the style. How far it's fallen...
Yea I was saying that with Luca and turning red with their Ardman mouths. And it's a shame because they were the best in the business. You can basically say that about everything within the Walt Disney company now. They have decided to go with trends and follow what others are doing. Instead of blazing your own trail and setting the standard for yourself.

Vegas Disney Fan

And it's a shame because they were the best in the business.

I think that sums up why it looks weird, Disney historically has gone out of their way to make their animated motion pictures look as realistic as possible, now they’re intentionally trying to make them look cartoony. It’s a big difference.

Whether that’s good or bad is personal preference but I’m not a fan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom