'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

_caleb

How does this true statement
PPV and all of Disney+ is a big black box of lost money.
Fit with this statement?
Soul, Onward, Luca, Mulan Remake, Raya, and Turning Red all lost tons of money by being sent to Disney +. The company did not make money on these films. Encanto tanked in theaters but did become popular and hopefully has made its budget back in toy sales.

That is 6 films that lost money, and a lot of it. When Disney and Pixar finally went back to releasing films theatrically after two years of trying to subsidize Disney + they had two big bombs, Lightyear and Strangeworld. So now we are at 8 high budget films bombing.
You say that these 6 films "lost money, and a lot of it." But then you acknowledge that you don't know how much they did or did not make, because Disney does not report this specifically.

TP2000

I'm surprised you aren't shopping at Harmon's.

I've been twice now and I love it! We don't have a Trader Joe's in town, yet. I was just reflecting on my previous life.

But the locals are convinced one is going in soon, according to various in-laws or realtor friends or spouses who know people in city hall, etc., etc.. I can't figure out yet if the Trader Joe's talk is the town's version of Texans convinced Disney bought 10,000 acres near Dallas for DisneyWorld II. :rolleyes:

My hope is that we actually start discussing the film itself.

I'd love to discuss more the marketing. I've asked a few folks specifically that question, but never get a response. There was purposeful decisions by Burbank to not market this film well and/or market it so lightly that even Disney fans who spend time on websites like this didn't even know it existed.

Why was that? Why did Burbank let this $180 Million film die a quiet and quick death in the marketplace? I've never seen Disney do anything like it with such an expensive family film, to be honest. At Thanksgiving! Why??? 🤔

TP2000

I don't have kids but the vibe I get from coworkers with kids is they can't trust Disney anymore. They don't know what topic might be in the next movie and whether they are ready to discuss it with their children.

This is key. Parents are now on guard for Disney/Pixar products, and that could be the death of those brands.

This Harris Poll is from last March, before Lightyear or Strange World were released as "family films", but I look forward to seeing what happens with the upcoming 2023 edition of this poll. The trajectory of Disney's reputation with American parents is clear. Does it get a "dead cat bounce" in '23, or is there still more of the cliff they have to fall off of in '23?

It's an ominous sign. And quite sad to see. :(

OffTheCliff.jpg

_caleb

This is key. Parents are now on guard for Disney/Pixar products, and that could the death of those brands.

This Harris Poll is from last March, before Lightyear or Strange World were released as "family films", but I look forward to seeing what happens with the upcoming 2023 edition of this poll. The trajectory of Disney's reputation with American parents is clear. Does it get a "dead cat bounce" in '23, or is there still more of the cliff they have to fall off of in '23?

It's an ominous sign. And quite sad to see. :(

View attachment 686703
Have you figured out what happened in 2014 that made Disney's reputation take a nose dive? Or what, in 2015, made it bounce back? And I wonder what happened in 2019/2020 that made such a difference? In your opinion, is this when Disney started injecting its social agenda into children's films?

You've posted data and charts, but the real fun is in interpreting and analyzing the data so that it can inform your conclusions.

SuddenStorm

I've been twice now and I love it! We don't have a Trader Joe's in town, yet. I was just reflecting on my previous life.

But the locals are convinced one is going in soon, according to various in-laws or realtor friends or spouses who know people in city hall, etc., etc.. I can't figure out yet if the Trader Joe's talk is the town's version of Texans convinced Disney bought 10,000 acres near Dallas for DisneyWorld II. :rolleyes:

There's one opening in the Sandy/Draper area, so if you're anywhere near there you're in luck!

TP2000

Have you figured out what happened in 2014 that made Disney's reputation take a nose dive? Or what, in 2015, made it bounce back? And I wonder what happened in 2019/2020 that made such a difference? In your opinion, is this when Disney started injecting its social agenda into children's films?

From 2012 to 2018 Disney was in the Top 5 of American companies for reputation.

The reputation index bounced along above 80% those years, in the "Excellent" category. Since the changes from year to year were 1%, I imagine it may just be within the margin of error for the poll. Most polls have a margin for error of 2% or 3% after all.

The real plunge happened after 2019. Going from Excellent, blowing through Very Good in two years, and ending up merely Good by '22. It dropped 7% in just three years, and appears to still be on a downward trajectory.

2012 = 81% EXCELLENT
2013 = 82% EXCELLENT
2014 = 81% EXCELLENT
2015 = 80% EXCELLENT
2016 = 81% EXCELLENT
2017 = 82% EXCELLENT
2018 = 81% EXCELLENT
2019 = 80% EXCELLENT
2020 = 78% VERY GOOD
2021 = 76% VERY GOOD
2022 = 73% GOOD

Those last three years also saw Disney as a company plummet from being rated #5 to being rated #65 in American minds. Disney now ranks well below Best Buy and Walgreens for goshsakes. Disney dropped 28 spots on the rankings in just the last year. :eek:

65thPlaceIs64thSecondPlace!.jpg

And the Harris poll quantified the reasons why Disney dropped so quickly being due to Americans reluctance to now rate Disney highly on the following polling categories; Trust. Ethics. Citizenship. Culture.

Hey, at least Disney is still ranked above Verizon, and only one spot behind Wendy's! Go Big Burbank, Beat Wendy's In '23!!! 📣

You've posted data and charts, but the real fun is in interpreting and analyzing the data so that it can inform your conclusions.

I'm not entirely sure we can pin any one thing on Disney's dramatic fall from grace. It would also depend on how heavily the states of California and Florida weighed in to the polling, as those AP and CM demographics can throw off polling I'd imagine. Much like a poll about General Motors would get different results if the respondents were weighted towards Michiganders instead of Arizonans.

But the trend the last three years is clear, and Disney's sudden fall in the rankings of big American companies held by Americans themselves is stunning. Who would have ever thunk it possible like this?!?

The question now is, how does Burbank reverse that trend? Is it too late to recover some of their reputation, or will it take years of hard work to crawl back up to at least the Top 30. Watch your back Walgreens, Burbank has awakened! Or something. 🤔

Last edited:

TP2000

There's one opening in the Sandy/Draper area, so if you're anywhere near there you're in luck!

That's got to be what everyone has been talking about here, or talking about people who talked about it. It's good news!

The funny thing???? The #1 spot on that Harris Poll for 2022 was... wait for it... Trader Joe's! 🥳

It's up around 82%, which is where Disney also was as recently as 2017.

Number1ForAReason...Samples!.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Here's how Harris conducts this poll each year, just in case anyone is afraid this is cherry picked misinformation, delivered fresh from a glacier-fed yet sun-dappled valley in the shadow of Mount Adams on a mild July day. 🍒

"Methodology:

The Axios Harris Poll 100 is based on a survey of 33,096 Americans in a nationally representative sample conducted March 11-April 3, 2022. The two-step process starts fresh each year by surveying the public’s top-of-mind awareness of companies that either excel or falter in society.

• These 100 “most visible companies” are then ranked by a second group of Americans across the seven key dimensions of reputation to arrive at the ranking. If a company is not on the list, it did not reach a critical level "of visibility to be measured."

Polls are merely a barometer, and some are better than others. But 33,096 Americans can't all be wrong, can they? 🤔

LittleBuford

I do think the so-called Culture War is somewhat at play in Disney’s diminishing reputation, but not in the way that some here suppose. The last half-decade or so has witnessed a hardening of the already longstanding view that out-of-touch “elites” are bent on the destruction of traditional society. Because Disney has made a few (ultimately quite cautious) moves in the way of inclusiveness, it has been selected as an easy target by those with reactionary grievances. Many of the complaints aren’t even based on firsthand knowledge of the things under attack—witness the outrage in this thread from those who haven’t even seen Strange World—but there’s no convincing the anti-“Woke” brigade that the liberal onslaught isn’t occurring. Disney can do nothing to get out of this bind short of reversing their diversity initiatives, and that isn’t going to happen. And so things will remain this way until the Woke Scare has subsided, at which point most people will look back with bewilderment at all the unfounded fearmongering.

GimpYancIent

I do think the so-called Culture War is somewhat at play in Disney’s diminishing reputation, but not in the way that some here suppose. The last half-decade or so has witnessed a hardening of the already longstanding view that out-of-touch “elites” are bent on the destruction of traditional society. Because Disney has made a few (ultimately quite cautious) moves in the way of inclusiveness, it has been selected as an easy target by those with reactionary grievances. Many of the complaints aren’t even based on firsthand knowledge of the things under attack—witness the outrage in this thread from those who haven’t even seen Strange World—but there’s no convincing the anti-“Woke” brigade that the liberal onslaught isn’t occurring. Disney can do nothing to get out of this bind short of reversing their diversity initiatives, and that isn’t going to happen. And so things will remain this way until the Woke Scare has subsided, at which point most people will look back with bewilderment at all the unfounded fearmongering.
Uhhhhh No. "Because Disney has made a few (ultimately quite cautious) moves in the way of inclusiveness," If TWDC had actually been low key and not in your face with its moves there would have been no issues, but no, loud / in your face succeeded in irritating. Guests enjoy Disney for a multitude of reasons but the in-your-face presentation of the supposed inclusiveness (which actually was not as it drove people apart rather than together) was totally counterproductive. People are amazingly accepting of different viewpoints, behaviors, activities, actions etc. when presented reasonably and not in your face.

BuddyThomas

Uhhhhh No. "Because Disney has made a few (ultimately quite cautious) moves in the way of inclusiveness," If TWDC had actually been low key and not in your face with its moves there would have been no issues, but no, loud / in your face succeeded in irritating. Guests enjoy Disney for a multitude of reasons but the in-your-face presentation of the supposed inclusiveness (which actually was not as it drove people apart rather than together) was totally counterproductive. People are amazingly accepting of different viewpoints, behaviors, activities, actions etc. when presented reasonably and not in your face.
There is nothing “in your face” in Strange World. If you blink, you miss it. This thread is freaking ridiculous. A bunch of people who have not seen the movie blabbing opinions.

TP2000

People are amazingly accepting of different viewpoints, behaviors, activities, actions etc. when presented reasonably and not in your face.

Amen!

I used the 1960's Motown example earlier in this thread; a group of some of the finest and most talented American artists in history helped change the world for the better at a tumultuous and very chaotic time in society. But instead of getting political and playing the victim, they did it all with pure class and oodles of grace and incredible style.

And they changed the world. Pure class.

Burbank handled the last two years rather poorly, and without much class.

I'm reminded of the Zoom call videos that were released of Burbank execs maligning and insulting the very audiences they needed to buy their products. It's unsurprising a growing number of the audience are no longer buying what Burbank is selling. Very tacky on Burbank's part, and showed no class. :(

LittleBuford

Can you give some examples of what you consider “in-your-face presentation of the supposed inclusiveness”?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom