Strange question about SSE

TB4244

Original Poster
A question has been bothering me for years about Spaceship Earth that I'd really like an answer to. Its regarding the figure of the kid that is selling the newspapers, you know, the one with his back to you yelling "Extra, extra, read all about it!"?

Does he have a face?

Technically they didn't need to provide one as you don't see it from the ride cars, so have his features been left weirdly blank?

I know its an odd question, but I'd love to know what he looks like from the other side. Does anyone know, or will it now creep everyone out for ever more?

DisneyJunkie

Yes, he does have a face. Actually, he used to face out towards your SSE ride vehicles calling out to get a paper. Apparently they moved his location due to the fact that it wouldn't make much sense for him to be inside the building (and facing inside) shouting out to people within it to come get a paper. Facially, he just looks like an animatronic kid with plain features.

I think they moved him to the back of that scene around the same time they did the other changes like Judy Dench's narration and the interactive touch screen stuff. Prior to that, he was right in front facing you.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

A question has been bothering me for years about Spaceship Earth that I'd really like an answer to. Its regarding the figure of the kid that is selling the newspapers, you know, the one with his back to you yelling "Extra, extra, read all about it!"?

Does he have a face?

Technically they didn't need to provide one as you don't see it from the ride cars, so have his features been left weirdly blank?

I know its an odd question, but I'd love to know what he looks like from the other side. Does anyone know, or will it now creep everyone out for ever more?
newspaper boy.jpg

TB4244

Original Poster
HAHAHAH! I never used to think about that but now, it's all I'll think about.
You're welcome, I pointed it out to a couple of other people and its freaking them out too ;)
No lie! I think this every time I ride!!! I am glad you asked this mystery question I have been wondering for years!
I had to ask, it was really bugging me.
Actually, he is now turned around because his face now has a "scar" on it. It's really not as horrible looking as the word "scar" makes it sound, but that's the best way to describe it.
So it's like a dirty smudge more than a physical scar?

Oh and thanks for the pics @epcotisbest and @Cmdr_Crimson
That helps!

DisneyJunkie

Actually, he is now turned around because his face now has a "scar" on it. It's really not as horrible looking as the word "scar" makes it sound, but that's the best way to describe it.

I heard that rumor too, but then a few CM friends of mine said that wasn't the case. They said it was more of a "well he shouldn't have faced the riders to begin with" thing.

BrittanyRose428

I heard that rumor too, but then a few CM friends of mine said that wasn't the case. They said it was more of a "well he shouldn't have faced the riders to begin with" thing.
When I was a CM and I did the backstage tour there our guide said that was the case, as well as my roommate who works at SSE. When we saw his face on the tour it wasn't really horrible looking, it was more like a little smudge or discoloration thatI guess could have looked like a scar from a small distance.

Goofyernmost

Does he have a face?

It has never been officially explained, but, even though for us it seems weird that he is facing the other way, one has to look at it as a depiction of real life. We are riding in a time machine. We are not visible to him, in the fantasy sense. To have him facing toward a non-existent group of people, on a non-existent train, selling newspapers to no one, never did make sense in the strict sense of detail. Now facing the street selling papers to people of his imaginary community is in keeping with theme and fantasy.

An argument has been made that something happened to the AA and it's face became distorted so they turned it around rather then fix it to save money. Logically, since they have a boatload of artist there that could recreate the face and are already on payroll, it would make no sense at all to move it, along with all it's mechanical components, to where it is now. Originally it was very, very close to the ride vehicles, so it was a significant move.

yedliW

The thing that has always got me is whose garage is it? Is it Hewlett/Packard.. Jobs/Woz.. Gates/Allen, or is it meant to be a generic representation of all 3?

There is writing on the mailbox, but I can never read it.. the cars are moving to fast for the lighting for me to read it..

baloofigment14

The thing that has always got me is whose garage is it? Is it Hewlett/Packard.. Jobs/Woz.. Gates/Allen, or is it meant to be a generic representation of all 3?

There is writing on the mailbox, but I can never read it.. the cars are moving to fast for the lighting for me to read it..
That's a good question. I'm not for sure, but based on the narration which says, "Young people with a passion for shaping the future put the power of the computer in everyone's hands", it sounds like it is meant to be everyone in general.
Full script here- http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/detail...eship-earth/spaceship-earth-script-judy-dench

yedliW

That's kinda what i figured.. since they are so vague about it.. I posed this question on another board, and someone responded that I was basically stupid for thinking it could possibly be anyone besides Apple..

TB4244

Original Poster
I've always assumed it was supposed to be a young Steve Jobs, but I suppose it could be anyone who was involved in the development in the early home computers etc?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom