Storytime with Belle...That's it?!?

Wow...those animatronics look absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see them myself.

If you have ever seen Remember...Dreams come true at Disneyland. In the show Julie Andrews at one point says "Walt Disney dreamed of a place that could be enjoyed by both the young and the young at heart". I think the young at heart will enjoy this experience. I will.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I did have to pick my jaw up off the floor when they revealed the Wardrobe and Lumiere.

Such a waste...

I just don't see why this is a waste? That statement has been put out a couple times and I can't quite wrap my head around it. Can someone help me understand the viewpoint of great AAs being a waste? Is this because it's in a M&G and you don't like M&Gs? Is it because it's in something that is not a dark ride? Is it because it's in an attraction that is aimed at a younger demographic? A little of all?
Not trying to troll. Trying to understand the viewpoint.

devoy1701

I just don't see why this is a waste? That statement has been put out a couple times and I can't quite wrap my head around it. Can someone help me understand the viewpoint of great AAs being a waste? Is this because it's in a M&G and you don't like M&Gs? Is it because it's in something that is not a dark ride? Is it because it's in an attraction that is aimed at a younger demographic? A little of all?

My Opinion only.... it's a shame (not necessarily a waste) that such great, technelogically advanced AAs and other techs such as that mirror are at this point only available at an experience that is strictly gauged to children and/or a Meet and Greet. It has nothing to do with the nature of the attraction itself, but that AAs of that magnitude are scarce right now. If there were other experiences where these were available (and maybe there will be) then I have absolutely no issue with it. But how many times can you go through a meet and greet without children (or even with children) before it gets tiring and perhaps awkward :confused: .

That's why I made the comment that it might be nicer if this "mini-attraction" was a self guided walk-through much like Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland. That way all guests of all ages would be able to experience the attraction and the great technology.

wannab@dis

The comment isn't whether or not it is better than the original Belle Meet and Greet/Story Time with Belle. He simply stated that this attraction is better than expected, which is as comical as saying this attraction is terrible when you haven't experienced it yet. It works both ways and I called him out on it. Doom and Gloomers get called on this all the time and I'm sure I've been guilty of it in the past as well (and I try very hard now to reserve opinions such as those until I've been able to experience them myself, or I put context around the opinion I am giving).
How is it comical to make the assertion this attraction is turning out better than expected? When was the last time you saw an effect such as the "magical" doorway in a meet and greet? When was the last time that you saw AAs in a M&G that are at this level? They took the existing Storytime with Belle and kicked it more than a few notches! Isn't that what we are always hearing the "Gloom & Doomers" want? Didn't they plus an existing attraction instead of gutting it or removing it entirely? Didn't they go the extra mile to make this a better attraction? Didn't they spend more than necessary to add to the experience instead of going cheap as they are always accused?

What more do you want? At what point does it become laughable when the standards set by the malcontents are exceeded and yet they STILL find something to whine and complain about? Why? What's the agenda?

Ignohippo

It's just an enormous amount of space and budget for really not much of an attraction. Not to put "Storytime With Belle" down – it is what it is and it certainly belongs at MK, I just wouldn't necessarily call it an attraction like you'd call Peter Pan's Flight, Winnie The Pooh or It's A Small World "attractions". Yet with the tech and the exterior work, the same amount of money is probably being spent.

A BatB dark ride probably would have appealed to a much, much larger demographic. Of course, Imagineering can't seem to design a dark ride anymore unless it costs $200 million +, so.....

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
My Opinion only.... it's a shame (not necessarily a waste) that such great, technelogically advanced AAs and other techs such as that mirror are at this point only available at an experience that is strictly gauged to children and/or a Meet and Greet. It has nothing to do with the nature of the attraction itself, but that AAs of that magnitude are scarce right now. If there were other experiences where these were available (and maybe there will be) then I have absolutely no issue with it. But how many times can you go through a meet and greet without children (or even with children) before it gets tiring and perhaps awkward :)confused:).

That's why I made the comment that it might be nicer if this "mini-attraction" was a self guided walk-through much like Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland. That way all guests of all ages would be able to experience the attraction and the great technology.

Ok, I do understand that. For the sake of argument would it be a fair (if not sore subject) to suggest that because my kids cannot enjoy the far superior Yeti AA, it was a waste from their perspective? The Yeti is not the best example I know, due to the whole Disco fiasco, lets just sprinkle some pixie dust on here and pretend it worked again, to full capacity, for the sake of the discussion.

wannab@dis

Ok, I do understand that. For the sake of argument would it be a fair (if not sore subject) to suggest that because my kids cannot enjoy the far superior Yeti AA, it was a waste from their perspective? The Yeti is not the best example I know, due to the whole Disco fiasco, lets just sprinkle some pixie dust on here and pretend it worked again, to full capacity, for the sake of the discussion.
No, because the basis of the "it's only for kids" argument has no merit. Instead, it's simply based on entitlement.

devoy1701

I guess we adults just can't have nice things... :(

;)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It's just an enormous amount of space and budget for really not much of an attraction. Not to put "Storytime With Belle" down – it is what it is and it certainly belongs at MK, I just wouldn't necessarily call it an attraction like you'd call Peter Pan's Flight, Winnie The Pooh or It's A Small World "attractions". Yet with the tech and the exterior work, the same amount of money is probably being spent.

A BatB dark ride probably would have appealed to a much, much larger demographic. Of course, Imagineering can't seem to design a dark ride anymore unless it costs $200 million +, so.....
Two questions. Did we ever get the budget strictly for this attraction?
Also, does it count that for the segment that this is targeting, this experience will last 10 times longer than say Peter Pan's Flight?

devoy1701

This is a good point here @sshindel for the "waste" argument. I was simply looking at it from the AA standpoint, but I could see how one can combine the AAs and the land use for a glorified meet and greet as a waste compared to what else we could have gotten. But that's a sucky way to look at it, because we could always think of what better offering could they have given us, and even so, I don't think building something else instead is a waste. Passing on an idea and building nothing instead...now THAT would be a waste!

devoy1701

How is it comical to make the assertion this attraction is turning out better than expected? When was the last time you saw an effect such as the "magical" doorway in a meet and greet? When was the last time that you saw AAs in a M&G that are at this level? They took the existing Storytime with Belle and kicked it more than a few notches! Isn't that what we are always hearing the "Gloom & Doomers" want? Didn't they plus an existing attraction instead of gutting it or removing it entirely? Didn't they go the extra mile to make this a better attraction? Didn't they spend more than necessary to add to the experience instead of going cheap as they are always accused?

What more do you want? At what point does it become laughable when the standards set by the malcontents are exceeded and yet they STILL find something to whine and complain about? Why? What's the agenda?

Might I ask what you were expecting if it turned out better than you expected then?

Simple question.

bdearl41

It looks to me as a fantastic attraction to its target audience. And I really love what they did with Lumier. Its obviously the next step technology from Turtle Talk. I think this attraction definately has its place, and it seems to be a decent people eater which is one of the main goals of FLE. The whole idea behind FLE is an immersive experience which really hasnt been the case in this part of the park, and I think this attraction builds on that. Is it fun for teens or young adults, absolutely not, but parents with kids will eat it up. Will the parent thouroughly enjoy the attraction, probably not, but I bet they enjoy the experience of watching their kids be part of the attraction.

Kudos to Disney for getting the kids involved in this attraction! I see it having lines for some time. This attraction will at some point have to be replaced as after 10 years or so, it will have definately worn out its appeal. Great attraction but without the longest of shelf lifes.

lexgoodsir

Not sure why there's arguments, I don't have kids and think this is beautiful and so much better than just lining up to do a M&G... This attraction doesn't affect me as, with no kids, I won't be going in - simple really. That's fine, I can marvel at the amazing animatronics on youtube or hear about it from others, i can appreciate how much more interesting it will be for children rather than just standing around.

We all knew that this wasn't going to be a ride (no matter how much people seemed to think it was even though Disney REPEATEDLY said 'it's a meet and greet') we all knew that children would be telling the story (look on youtube for all those interviews and the constant flow of information about what would be happening, even initial artists drawings of a child with the Beasts paws and cloak on) and we really ...REALLY should have realized that this was a MEET & GREET for FAMILIES - Sorry but if you are a fully grown man hoping to go in here on his own to a childs M&G with a video camera to take shots of Lumiere from every conceivable angle and then expect a dark ride that has indoor fireworks and a couple of zero g rolls in an underground space ship that morphs into a golden statue of the Beast, after everything that was said about it, then something needs to be addressed here.........

:)

bdearl41

Not sure why there's arguments, I don't have kids and think this is beautiful and so much better than just lining up to do a M&G... This attraction doesn't affect me as, with no kids, I won't be going in - simple really. That's fine, I can marvel at the amazing animatronics on youtube or hear about it from others, i can appreciate how much more interesting it will be for children rather than just standing around.

We all knew that this wasn't going to be a ride (no matter how much people seemed to think it was even though Disney REPEATEDLY said 'it's a meet and greet') we all knew that children would be telling the story (look on youtube for all those interviews and the constant flow of information about what would be happening, even initial artists drawings of a child with the Beasts paws and cloak on) and we really ...REALLY should have realized that this was a MEET & GREET for FAMILIES - Sorry but if you are a fully grown man hoping to go in here on his own to a childs M&G with a video camera to take shots of Lumiere from every conceivable angle and then expect a dark ride that has indoor fireworks and a couple of zero g rolls in an underground space ship that morphs into a golden statue of the Beast, after everything that was said about it, then something needs to be addressed here.........

:)

I think they saved the zero g rolls for the Little Mermaid attraction! :D

wannab@dis

Might I ask what you were expecting if it turned out better than you expected then?

Simple question.
I'll answer your question even though you ignored mine.

I expected the current Storytime to be moved to a nice new location. I didn't expect the "magical" gateway transitioning from the house to the castle. Nor did I expect the level of AAs they added to the attraction. I appreciate those new details they added. Details that some say are skipped today. Details that my kids will see and will help build their enjoyment. They'll be another generation of our family that will enjoy their Disney vacations and will someday bring their kids.

Afterwards, we'll head over to Space Mountain so I can introduce them both to an attraction I remember from my childhood... an attraction that neither could enjoy on our last visit since they didn't meet the height requirement.

WDWFanDave

I haven't seen the existing storytime, so I don't have anything to compare it to. What I can envision is enjoying this tremendously with my soon-to-be six year old. In fact, I must say, I'd go even if she didn't want to. I enjoy the E-Tickets just like everyone else, and luckily my little one is tall, so this year we'll be able to ride everything together (although the single-rider lines last year were great!), but I go to WDW for the whole thing. I take it all in, good and bad, and then decide whether or not we want to spend our money going back. So far, it's where we love to go, and from what I'm seeing and hearing, I'd expect that to continue.

But certainly, if one isn't happy with the new things that are opening, being developed, things that are being changed, etc, just keep the money in the checkbook and use it for something else...

ishmael0316

After watching the newest Imagineer tour of Storytime with Belle I have a disturbing feeling.
I feel that the attraction will be absolutely boring for adults, especially those without kids, and teens.

Maurice's cottage looks great, but that is just the cue of the attraction.
The magic mirror looks amazing...and that takes you into Belle's library.
The talking wardrobe is fantastic and fun....but then.....

The cast member starts handing out cardboard picture frames, horse heads, and mockups of the dog/footstool.
She throws a cloth cape on a kid to play The Beast and then they are going to be part of the retelling of Beauty and the Beast. (Yes, not even The Beast shows up....you get some little kid playing The Beast...seriously?!)

That's It?!?!? That's all we get after all of this time, money and build up. We get to be trapped in a room while we watch little kids reenact the story of Beauty and the Beast? No changing scenery? No moving us through the ride or revolving stage like Carousel of Progress? Just a cast member playing Belle, 6 or 7 little kids with cardboard props, and a room where we have to sit and watch them act it out?!

Explain to me how this meets with Walt Disney's vision of having attractions fun for kids AND adults?
The only adults that can thoroughly enjoy this are the parents of the kids in the show. Everyone else gets to watch and be bored like you are in Turtle Talk with Crush.

Why do the Disney suits have to tailor everything toward only kids now?

So if I have no kids, and want to check out Storytime with Belle here is what is going to happen.
1) I wait in a ridiculously long cue just to walk through Maurice's cottage.
2) I shuffle into a little room with a group of other people to watch the show and there is nothing else for me to dobut to watch the kids perform. Yawn.
3) Meanwhile the next group will have to wait for (probably 10 minutes) the show to end and the next group to come in.
This is not Philharmagic where an auditorium of people can file in and move the line quickly. This is a small group show.

I see a major problem with this attraction. No dark ride, no fast moving flow of peope, just walk and wait. It seems very much like ToonTown and walking through Mickey's cottage. As an adult it is fun once to check it out....and I never went back there again.

IF this is all Storytime with Belle is going to be....I see a tremendous missed opportunity by Disney imagineers to make this something even more special and inclusive.

I am curious to hear everyone's feedback, or if someone has more information that can prove me wrong.
The original story time with Belle was fantastic. It was an audience participation story at the side of the castle where Merida is now. I LOVE the Beauty and the Beast story and would certainly go to the story time, with or without kids. I cannot wait to see how much more magical they have made this new telling of the story. So super excited!

jt04

After watching the newest Imagineer tour of Storytime with Belle I have a disturbing feeling.
I feel that the attraction will be absolutely boring for adults, especially those without kids, and teens.

Maurice's cottage looks great, but that is just the cue of the attraction.
The magic mirror looks amazing...and that takes you into Belle's library.
The talking wardrobe is fantastic and fun....but then.....

The cast member starts handing out cardboard picture frames, horse heads, and mockups of the dog/footstool.
She throws a cloth cape on a kid to play The Beast and then they are going to be part of the retelling of Beauty and the Beast. (Yes, not even The Beast shows up....you get some little kid playing The Beast...seriously?!)

That's It?!?!? That's all we get after all of this time, money and build up. We get to be trapped in a room while we watch little kids reenact the story of Beauty and the Beast? No changing scenery? No moving us through the ride or revolving stage like Carousel of Progress? Just a cast member playing Belle, 6 or 7 little kids with cardboard props, and a room where we have to sit and watch them act it out?!

Explain to me how this meets with Walt Disney's vision of having attractions fun for kids AND adults?
The only adults that can thoroughly enjoy this are the parents of the kids in the show. Everyone else gets to watch and be bored like you are in Turtle Talk with Crush.

Why do the Disney suits have to tailor everything toward only kids now?

So if I have no kids, and want to check out Storytime with Belle here is what is going to happen.
1) I wait in a ridiculously long cue just to walk through Maurice's cottage.
2) I shuffle into a little room with a group of other people to watch the show and there is nothing else for me to dobut to watch the kids perform. Yawn.
3) Meanwhile the next group will have to wait for (probably 10 minutes) the show to end and the next group to come in.
This is not Philharmagic where an auditorium of people can file in and move the line quickly. This is a small group show.

I see a major problem with this attraction. No dark ride, no fast moving flow of peope, just walk and wait. It seems very much like ToonTown and walking through Mickey's cottage. As an adult it is fun once to check it out....and I never went back there again.

IF this is all Storytime with Belle is going to be....I see a tremendous missed opportunity by Disney imagineers to make this something even more special and inclusive.

I am curious to hear everyone's feedback, or if someone has more information that can prove me wrong.

Oh how you would complain if they designed every "thrill" ride to be accessable to all guests. Imagine if they had refurbed and dumbed down BTMRR to eliminate the height requirement. You would be making the exact opposite point.

:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom