Storyliving by Disney - a Disney-branded, master-planned home community

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Have you ever visited a Disney theme park resort, with its perfectly manicured and clean-scrubbed grounds, whimsical, yet reassuring architecture, chirpy employees, and general sense of cheery optimism, and thought how great it would be if you could take up permanent residence there? That’s sort of the idea behind the Mouse House’s latest venture: Disney-branded, master-planned home communities.

Today, the company announced “Storyliving by Disney, which will be part of the same division that oversees its theme parks, Disney Cruise Line, and other experiences. The first community, which will be known as Cotino and include about 1,900 housing units, will be in the Palm Springs city of Rancho Mirage, California.

“There is incredible demand for all things Disney. Our fans continue to look for new ways to engage with us, to keep Disney as part of their lives,” says Josh D’Amaro, chairman of Disney parks, experiences and products. At the branded communities, he adds, “you can be part of Disney all of the time.”

As for the “Storyliving” name, the communities will capitalize on the company’s sense of storytelling and placemaking. Instead of telling Mickey Mouse tales, however, they will focus on the culture, history, experience, food, and other attributes of the places in which they will be built.

Every single element of these communities will be steeped in a story,” D’Amaro notes. The residents, he says, will be active participants in the stories.

Prices, financing, and other details have not been announced, but the development will include a variety of properties such as condominiums, single-family homes, and estates. Rental units are not anticipated to be part of the mix. Families with young children and people of all ages will be able to purchase properties. Some of Cotino’s neighborhoods, however, will be designated for residents 55 and older, a market in which Disney seems especially interested."

More below -

FerretAfros

Well, this really came out of nowhere, didn't it? As someone who is generally plugged in to the ongoing rumor mill, I don't recall any hints about this being in development.

I guess it can be seen as a sequel of sorts to Golden Oak, but the scale, location, and target market are decidedly different. Among other issues, Disney's attempts at standalone properties beyond their existing footprints in Anaheim and Orlando (whether regional entertainment concepts like DisneyQuest; standalone DVC like Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, and National Harbor; or entirely new locales like Mineral King or Disney's America) have a remarkable tendency to underperform or die in development hell.

From the USA Today article:
“Baby boomers are moving into retirement. They’re going to be moving into retirement communities,” says Daryl Fairweather, chief economist for Seattle-based real estate brokerage Redfin. “Why not have it be a Disney-branded retirement community?”

If their target market for this is baby boomer retirees, they're about 10 years too late in announcing this. Realistically, it's going to take about 5 years to get the first phases of this built and functionally operational. The average baby boomer will be well into their 70's by then, and probably not looking to move out to the desert for a bizarrely story-obsessed mater-planned community. And given the relatively small size of Gen X, the demand for new retirement-focused facilities will only decline in the following decades.

Despite bearing its name, Disney will not own the communities or be the developer of record; nor will it be building or selling the homes. It will be partnering with third parties to handle those functions.

However, Disney’s fabled Imagineers, the band of creatives who bring the park’s animatronic pirates to life, will have a hand in designing Cotino and future communities. As the public face of the communities, Disney will manage the marketing and sales efforts. And once the communities are up and running, its “cast members” – Disney-speak for its employees – will handle day-to-day operations including customer service and entertainment production.

This sounds sort of like the opposite of Tokyo Disney Resort's licensing of Disney's name, but instead of offering design serviced, Disney will actually do the operations here. For someone as uncreative and risk-averse as Chapek, I can see the appeal to a licensed approach, but I struggle to see how it will pan out in reality. While Disney was once known for their above-average operations and customer service, it's really not worth bragging about in 2022. And neither owning nor developing the land themselves is an interesting move for the notoriously-insular company.

The number of times the video refers to the "Disney brand" or "Disney-branded" rather than just "Disney" gives me mixed feelings: on the one hand, it means that most of the design and development will be done by people who actually know what they're doing, rather than WDI swooping in with their endless bureaucracy while pretending they know better than those with experience. On the other hand, it means the Disney elements will be mostly superficial, relying on IP and tortured backstories in an attempt to tie together a larger whole, largely done independent of the actual design work. Incorporating creative elements into a place where people actually live permanently would be a struggle regardless, but this seems like it will make it even more of an afterthought.

The video is oddly serious, and devoid of the fun and joy that most people associate with Disney Parks, Resorts, and Experiences. It seems to target people who describe themselves as Disney fans as a defining personality trait, rather than expanding the Disney experience to be welcoming to everybody, regardless of fandom affiliation. The video is obsessed with marketing buzzwords, while not actually describing anything useful about the development: "creative concept"..."celebrating expressions of art and design"..."Crystal lagoons technology"...you mean chlorine like a swimming pool?

And since nobody has said it yet, the "Storyliving" name is hot garbage.

Californian Elitist

Well, this really came out of nowhere, didn't it? As someone who is generally plugged in to the ongoing rumor mill, I don't recall any hints about this being in development.

I guess it can be seen as a sequel of sorts to Golden Oak, but the scale, location, and target market are decidedly different. Among other issues, Disney's attempts at standalone properties beyond their existing footprints in Anaheim and Orlando (whether regional entertainment concepts like DisneyQuest; standalone DVC like Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, and National Harbor; or entirely new locales like Mineral King or Disney's America) have a remarkable tendency to underperform or die in development hell.

From the USA Today article:
“Baby boomers are moving into retirement. They’re going to be moving into retirement communities,” says Daryl Fairweather, chief economist for Seattle-based real estate brokerage Redfin. “Why not have it be a Disney-branded retirement community?”

If their target market for this is baby boomer retirees, they're about 10 years too late in announcing this. Realistically, it's going to take about 5 years to get the first phases of this built and functionally operational. The average baby boomer will be well into their 70's by then, and probably not looking to move out to the desert for a bizarrely story-obsessed mater-planned community. And given the relatively small size of Gen X, the demand for new retirement-focused facilities will only decline in the following decades.

Despite bearing its name, Disney will not own the communities or be the developer of record; nor will it be building or selling the homes. It will be partnering with third parties to handle those functions.

However, Disney’s fabled Imagineers, the band of creatives who bring the park’s animatronic pirates to life, will have a hand in designing Cotino and future communities. As the public face of the communities, Disney will manage the marketing and sales efforts. And once the communities are up and running, its “cast members” – Disney-speak for its employees – will handle day-to-day operations including customer service and entertainment production.

This sounds sort of like the opposite of Tokyo Disney Resort's licensing of Disney's name, but instead of offering design serviced, Disney will actually do the operations here. For someone as uncreative and risk-averse as Chapek, I can see the appeal to a licensed approach, but I struggle to see how it will pan out in reality. While Disney was once known for their above-average operations and customer service, it's really not worth bragging about in 2022. And neither owning nor developing the land themselves is an interesting move for the notoriously-insular company.

The number of times the video refers to the "Disney brand" or "Disney-branded" rather than just "Disney" gives me mixed feelings: on the one hand, it means that most of the design and development will be done by people who actually know what they're doing, rather than WDI swooping in with their endless bureaucracy while pretending they know better than those with experience. On the other hand, it means the Disney elements will be mostly superficial, relying on IP and tortured backstories in an attempt to tie together a larger whole, largely done independent of the actual design work. Incorporating creative elements into a place where people actually live permanently would be a struggle regardless, but this seems like it will make it even more of an afterthought.

The video is oddly serious, and devoid of the fun and joy that most people associate with Disney Parks, Resorts, and Experiences. It seems to target people who describe themselves as Disney fans as a defining personality trait, rather than expanding the Disney experience to be welcoming to everybody, regardless of fandom affiliation. The video is obsessed with marketing buzzwords, while not actually describing anything useful about the development: "creative concept"..."celebrating expressions of art and design"..."Crystal lagoons technology"...you mean chlorine like a swimming pool?

And since nobody has said it yet, the "Storyliving" name is hot garbage.
Regarding the brand/IP bit, I thought the very same thing when I watched the video. It’s very obvious that the brand will be everywhere, but the soul of the company will be absent.

VJ

Oh, absolutely. Without a doubt. They’re taking advantage of the loyalty, blindness, and blatant obsession that encompasses that particular fanbase. At this point, I would expect nothing less.
If they'll stand in line for hours or pay hundreds of dollars on eBay for a purple dragon popcorn bucket, of course they'll pay millions of dollars plus upcharges to live in a Disney-branded community.

But, also, the more people that encourage and enable Disney, the more Disney has the belief that they can never fail. And these "Disney fans" will make sure of that.

Californian Elitist

If they'll stand in line for hours or pay hundreds of dollars on eBay for a purple dragon popcorn bucket, of course they'll pay millions of dollars plus upcharges to live in a Disney-branded community.

But, also, the more people that encourage and enable Disney, the more Disney has the belief that they can never fail. And these "Disney fans" will make sure of that.
And this is why I’m staying away from the parks for now. I refuse to let myself excuse what’s going on and continue to spend my time and money there. It’s very obvious that I’m not the type of fan that they want around. Point well-taken.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
As someone who lived in the Coachella Valley for 6 years here's my take.

Rancho Mirage is one of the nicer and wealthier cities (next to Indian Wells) in the valley. These homes will be picked up by rich Snowbirds* in like 5 minutes and will only be used in the winter months when the weather is nice. This community will sit abandoned during the summer months.

1645032731891.png

*Snowbird is the term the year-round locals use for the retired grey-haired people that only live in the valley during the winter months. The population almost doubles in the winter and goes back to being light in the summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom