Storyliving by Disney - a Disney-branded, master-planned home community

Lilofan

As someone who lived in the Coachella Valley for 6 years here's my take.

Rancho Mirage is one of the nicer and wealthier cities (next to Indian Wells) in the valley. These homes will be picked up by rich Snowbirds* in like 5 minutes and will only be used in the winter months when the weather is nice. This community will sit abandoned during the summer months.

View attachment 621574

*Snowbird is the term the year-round locals use for the retired grey-haired people that only live in the valley during the winter months. The population almost doubles in the winter and goes back to being light in the summer.
Would not be surprised if foreign investors / families swoop in and add to their real estate nest egg. I had family who lived in Corona Del Mar / Newport Beach . A number of the million dollar beach bungalows in those areas were owned by families from Asia and the Middle East who came approx 1-2x a year for a visit.

AJFireman

Here a local Desert Sun article on the development.

Keypoints I see is the Development was approved since 2019 with the developer DMB Development not sure if Disney has been involved since the begining. Its seems its been on the developers website as Section 31 for years. So like someone else said surprised this was not leaked even a bit. News article says about 1,700 houses and a hotel with some commercial and retail also.
Looking at the map and being familiar with the area its an ideal location. South of the freeway in the middle of the city not on the outskirts. Close to a good hospital that caters to the clientele that will buy into this planned community. It does have a 55+ section planned. They will probably heavily market to the Club 33 members.

Screenshot_20220216-091458_Maps.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Especially designed for not only the 1%, but those with an unhealthy and disturbing obsession with the Disney brand.

This is a little embarrassing.
A little? It’s borderline ridiculous. Especially since near everyday something comes out about the housing market being juiced. Like today when it was shown that “investors” bought a record share of real estate in 2021.

…cause that turns out so well when those with an unlimited expectation of money dabble in real estate.

Anyway…I miss this guy more everyday:
1645034712440.jpeg

Lilofan

A little? It’s borderline ridiculous. Especially since near everyday something comes out about the housing market being juiced. Like today when it was shown that “investors” bought a record share of real estate in 2021.

…cause that turns out so well when those with an unlimited expectation of money dabble in real estate.

Anyway…I miss this guy more everyday:
Money laundering is taboo, but one of the places to get into and continue to do so is buying up real estate. All cash offer is music to a real estate agent's ears.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Money laundering is taboo, but one of the places to get into and continue to do so is buying up real estate. All cash offer is music to a real estate agent's ears.
The reason it’s called “real” estate is because the asset has stable, tangible value.

“investments” are speculative. It is a risk for reward.

Remember the last time we crossed the streams, Egon?

how’d that go?

Minnesota disney fan

We're baby boomers and retired. , and Used to be uberdisney fans. But not anymore. No way does being in a disney based community interest us at all. We went to WDW to escape reality for 2 weeks vacation once a year. Not interested in it all the time. Like someone else said, this will be geared towards the rich who own several homes.

TP2000

If that’s the case, which I would assume it is, I wonder if residents will be allowed to rent out their properties, like for Airbnb, for example?

Nope. At least not in any normal gated and HOA community I've ever heard of. I know a couple from Seattle who retired to La Quinta nearby Rancho Mirage in one of these master planned places. You can't rent your place out. If it's summer, it just sits there.

That said, I am continually surprised at how many retirees live in the Coachella Valley during summer. Especially the northerners, they just love it. It honesly helps that as humans get older our blood thins and we get cold easy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom