Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

Disney Maddux

Exactly this! If they NEED to slap an IP in there, go back to the original where Eisner wanted to put in an actual Alien. They own the franchise now. I loved that ride and let's be honest, Tomorrowland is missing a nice air-conditioned space that makes kids cry and gives them nightmares because parents can’t read.
Exactly. Plus it fits perfectly for Disney's new M.O. to have new attractions be as immersive as possible. So c'mon, revive Skippy and SIR, bring back that terrifying alien (or like you said, back to its original vision with the Xenomorph) and give us HHN at Disney.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Mermaid's queue in Orlando...
  • has interactive screens that
    • are a speed bump in the queue causing congestion
    • too high up for children to participate in... in a Mermaid ride... mostly for children
  • has leaks from the ceiling (last time I was there)
  • very, very long and almost always empty... people are voting with their feet... this is a pass

The Aracuan Bird

Exactly. Plus it fits perfectly for Disney's new M.O. to have new attractions be as immersive as possible. So c'mon, revive Skippy and SIR, bring back that terrifying alien (or like you said, back to its original vision with the Xenomorph) and give us HHN at Disney.
Disney’s current M.O. is family friendly entertainment the walks the line pretty closely to “children’s entertainment”. A show that would scare the bejeebus out of children in a castle park is something they definitely want to avoid. Maaayyybe they’d consider something of that caliber in the Studios. Maybe. Probably unlikely.

The Aracuan Bird

• too high up for children to participate in... in a Mermaid ride... mostly for children
  • very, very long and almost always empty... people are voting with their feet... this is a pass
The “rock work” looks nice though.

UNCgolf

Well yeah, why bother fixing leaks in the ceiling when no one has to stand under them? Saves money!

The queue length is baffling. Were they expecting the ride to have constant 2+ hour waits? It's an omnimover! Even if it was really popular it shouldn't fill up that entire queue.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well yeah, why bother fixing leaks in the ceiling when no one has to stand under them? Saves money!

The queue length is baffling. Were they expecting the ride to have constant 2+ hour waits? It's an omnimover! Even if it was really popular it shouldn't fill up that entire queue.
2+ hour waits for years to come, just like for Fast and Furious!

Ripken10

One of my favorite queues because by the time you finish walking it (esp if you pace yourself) you don’t have many people in front of you. But I myself love a good walk. I would much rather be walking a really long queue then standing still for 2 hours waiting for Navi River. Both rides I enjoy, but the wait for Navi used to ruin the ride

GymLeaderPhil

When they initially installed the hanging lights in the queue’s first cave section there was absolutely zero tension holding them still. Given that they also mounted them far too low, if they didn’t change it prior to opening, it would have easily been the best interactive element in the queue because all it would take is one Grad Night for all of them to be completely shattered everywhere.

Sharon&Susan

Mark my words, they're eventually going to find a way to monetize the Little Mermaid queue some day by converting most of it into a shop or restaurant.

Bocabear

Indoor version of Jetpacks from Shanghai.
That is a fun idea, though the jetpacks are way too clunky...but a spinner ride in an interior dome of space... then add show elements...it could be epic... This is what the Pixar Little Green Men saucers should have been instead of an outdoor plastic-y looking mess.
When I was a kid there was a ride at Dorney Park that was basically a Scrambler built inside an ice cave with strong air conditioning and a disco light package... It was a heck of a lot of fun... it felt like you were in a different place... and this was a low budget regional amusement park... Imagine What Disney could do if they wanted...

JD80

I don't know what you would do in Tomorrowland anymore. Mid-20th century the outlook of the future was flying cars, massive cities, urban sprawl and all the technology of big computers and space travel.

That is no longer the view of the future.

If we were going to make the a land based on tomorrow today, it'll most likely be green spaces, low density human sprawl, focused on climate change and low pollution and sustainable living (Living with the Land anyone?). So how do you make a fun theme park out of that, because it's not as exciting as aliens, space ships and fast moving people mover attractions.

Disney is probably going to have to ditch Tomorrowland for something else. I'm a big proponent of getting rid of everything and starting from scratch somehow. Lots of wasted space in that area.

Bocabear

The 90s approach to a Science Fiction of yesteryear Future was probably the best approach...but maybe less Buck Rogers and more George Jetson to fit the original fabric of WDW's Tomorrowland. Flying cars, futuristic cities and aliens are still fun... Eco future is not so much...
So keep the fun, styled in the more whimsical and streamlined Future of the 50s-60s... With EPCOT, Tomorrowland doesn't have to forecast our real future...

Heppenheimer

I don't know what you would do in Tomorrowland anymore. Mid-20th century the outlook of the future was flying cars, massive cities, urban sprawl and all the technology of big computers and space travel.

That is no longer the view of the future.

If we were going to make the a land based on tomorrow today, it'll most likely be green spaces, low density human sprawl, focused on climate change and low pollution and sustainable living (Living with the Land anyone?). So how do you make a fun theme park out of that, because it's not as exciting as aliens, space ships and fast moving people mover attractions.

Disney is probably going to have to ditch Tomorrowland for something else. I'm a big proponent of getting rid of everything and starting from scratch somehow. Lots of wasted space in that area.
I wonder why they didn't fully commit and stick with the retro-aesthetic. It will always be Yesterday's Tomorrowland, but at least they make it a fun theme by intentionally owning it, rather than the march of time always making it pitifully outdated.

I could see a more eco themed overlay working, though. Switch the Speedway cars to electric models, and plant more trees. This would at least bring some much-needed shade to the land, both in Florida and California.

Bocabear

I wonder why they didn't fully commit and stick with the retro-aesthetic. It will always be Yesterday's Tomorrowland, but at least they make it a fun theme by intentionally owning it, rather than the march of time always making it pitifully outdated.

I could see a more eco themed overlay working, though. Switch the Speedway cars to electric models, and plant more trees. This would at least bring some much-needed shade to the land, both in Florida and California.
There was a proposal to make Tomorrowland more eco themed... I think they called it the Montana Tomorrowland.. We got a little taste of it in California with crops used as landscape materials, but the overall was very green... I liked that, but prefer the Jetson's approach... We just need MORE

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom