Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

TwilightZone

I was looking through videos on the trick or treat trail (btw saddest thing I've ever seen) and I saw this
Osggqnvf.png

after the easter egg in mission breakout, the odd naming of the stitch meet n greet, and now this something tells me that the imagineers have something alien encounter related in the works. even if it turns out to not be a new version of the ride. @marni1971 any signs of xs tech being brought back for a future ride? or is disney just being mean.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I was looking through videos on the trick or treat trail (btw saddest thing I've ever seen) and I saw this
Osggqnvf.png

after the easter egg in mission breakout, the odd naming of the stitch meet n greet, and now this something tells me that the imagineers have something alien encounter related in the works. even if it turns out to not be a new version of the ride. @marni1971 any signs of xs tech being brought back for a future ride? or is disney just being mean.
I'd vote for mean they know that xs-tech will get the fanbois in a lather and the'll push on social media for all they are worth. Come the 50'th it will still be a meet n grope for the hot IP of the day

CalebS

There isnt a ton of space, but couldnt they do a ride format like the minion ride? Is the plan even still for it to be a ride or has it turned into another show?

Jenny72

I liked Alien Encounter, or would have, but going on it for the first time with my mother was traumatizing. We had read the signs but figured that the warnings were probably a bit over the top and more aimed at kids. Scary scenes wouldn't bother us. But then once it started, the woman seated next to my mother had a panic attack (or similar) and started screaming -- and I mean *screaming* -- that she needed to get out NOW. My mother is also an anxious person, and then she started screaming. She has blood pressure issues and I was freaking out that she would give herself a stroke or something. So we were all freaking out. But no one stopped the attraction to help, so the screaming just went on and on and on throughout. My mother felt sick afterwards and was a really strange color.

So yes, we were one of the groups (well, plus this woman) that didn't expect something like this at Disney. Don't get me wrong -- I thought it was a clever use of space -- but I think they could have done a better job of helping people if they freaked out. We had to listen to this poor woman scream as if she were dying. It's not like anyone could have been enjoying the attraction while this was going on.

After this, I've never gone on SGE. Don't need to relive that memory, and also figured I probably wasn't missing too much based on the reviews. I hope they come up with something good for the space.

bclane

I liked Alien Encounter, or would have, but going on it for the first time with my mother was traumatizing. We had read the signs but figured that the warnings were probably a bit over the top and more aimed at kids. Scary scenes wouldn't bother us. But then once it started, the woman seated next to my mother had a panic attack (or similar) and started screaming -- and I mean *screaming* -- that she needed to get out NOW. My mother is also an anxious person, and then she started screaming. She has blood pressure issues and I was freaking out that she would give herself a stroke or something. So we were all freaking out. But no one stopped the attraction to help, so the screaming just went on and on and on throughout. My mother felt sick afterwards and was a really strange color.

So yes, we were one of the groups (well, plus this woman) that didn't expect something like this at Disney. Don't get me wrong -- I thought it was a clever use of space -- but I think they could have done a better job of helping people if they freaked out. We had to listen to this poor woman scream as if she were dying. It's not like anyone could have been enjoying the attraction while this was going on.

After this, I've never gone on SGE. Don't need to relive that memory, and also figured I probably wasn't missing too much based on the reviews. I hope they come up with something good for the space.
I absolutely loved that attraction. But I was also there once when this little girl, like 10 or 11 years old I would guess, started freaking out soon after the show started and she looked and sounded like she was being murdered right in front of all of us. It was like something out of a movie watching/hearing her. I felt so bad for her and her parents who were desperately trying to calm her down. Even after it was over she just sat in the chair screaming for quite some time while cast members tried to handle the situation. I've never seen anyone that scared before or since but anytime I did that attraction after that day I always tried to warn parents with small kids that maybe this wasn't the "ride" for them.

Jenny72

Well, I think that was the problem. Everyone was used to signs on Snow White, etc. for stuff that would not bother an adult, so after a while you barely see the signs anymore, especially when you know the ride doesn't even move. You think, what could possibly scare an adult if it's not moving? It's very typical of human nature to look past that stuff when you assume you know what's coming.

There was something about that experience that triggered anxiety in people. This woman who freaked out was screaming that she couldn't get out, couldn't move. I think people felt trapped in a way you don't on a moving ride.

If Alien Encounter had been in Hollywood Studios, people might have looked at the signs a little more carefully. It was kind of weird in the Magic Kingdom. I'm really not knocking AE, I'm just saying I can see how it caused a problem.

Matt_Black

There were warning signs literally everywhere....there was no way to miss them...
Heck there were even lots of warning signs on Snow White's Scary Adventures.... People just ignore them....

Remember the thread about the lady complaining about the Haunted Mansion and was surprised that it was dark and spooky? You know, as opposed to all those well-lit, calming haunted house attractions.

TROR

Alien Encounter really should have had what's stated on the signs really emphasized by also including that information in the preshow video as well as a cast member informing guests before entering the theater.

John park hopper

Alien Encounter was fantastic 1. if you saw the movie what did you expect? 2. signs were clearly posted all you had to do was read 3. If you still did not know anything about it all you had to do was ask someone who just rode it. WDW made a big mistake getting rid of this, heck their still making Alien movies. IMO bring it back for the 50th anniversary

Matt_Black

Alien Encounter really should have had what's stated on the signs really emphasized by also including that information in the preshow video as well as a cast member informing guests before entering the theater.

If guests ignored the signs AND the Cast Members, then no, they wouldn't have paid attention to anything repeated in the pre-show.

MichRX7

Premium Member
WARNING: THIS RIDE WILL SCARE THE HELL OUT OF YOU!

Maybe that would have done it? I take that back, if that sign had been there my mother-in-law who was in her 60's the time we took her wouldn't have gone on it and she thoroughly enjoyed it. It scared the hell out of her, but she went back to do it again.

brb1006

Even before you enter the actual attraction for Alien Encounter. The preshow actually served as a warning sign for what's to come for guests who didn't bother on reading the signs.

TROR

Even before you enter the actual attraction for Alien Encounter. The preshow actually served as a warning sign for what's to come for guests who didn't bother on reading the signs.
Tonally, yes. But from what I've seen over the years, it was the technology that made the ride so terrifying, not the tone. The feeling of being trapped and having this monster breathing right next to you. If it had just been an alien is on the loose in the building but without the specialized seats, I think the attraction would have a much different reputation among the guests who saw it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom