Stitch Rage

JimboJones123

Original Poster
I pulled out my Lilo and Stitch DVD the other day and thought of something. We went through the extras and found the AWESOME trailers. The ones with the princesses (Ariel cracked me up) and it finally hit me. Stitch isn't all over the place JUST because WDW is milking his popularity, Stitch is all over because that is why the created the character! Months before the movie, the trailers and posters came out whith Stitch invading everything. The parks were always the next part of the plan. Not to say that they may have taken it further than originally thought, but the purpose of the character to begin with was for him to become an Icon. They knew they had a good thing when they started, otherwise they would have never had the original campaign with him. So, I guess the "Stitch Invastion" was probably planned from the beginning. And since it's still around, it looks like it worked. He served the role he was supposed to. It sounds like they are now weening away from Stitch now. Again, it has only been 2 years since Stitch's arrival at the parks. Most guests don't go but every few years, so there is still some untapped potential for the character. At least he isn't in the Luau yet. Just the song.

id totally take a pesky, annoying, rude alien over another freakin princess or singing woodland creature any day... dont get me wrong, i do enjoy the princesses and woodland creatures, but a little variety is fun

PixiePrincess

JimboJones123 said:
I pulled out my Lilo and Stitch DVD the other day and thought of something. We went through the extras and found the AWESOME trailers. The ones with the princesses (Ariel cracked me up) and it finally hit me. Stitch isn't all over the place JUST because WDW is milking his popularity, Stitch is all over because that is why the created the character! Months before the movie, the trailers and posters came out whith Stitch invading everything. The parks were always the next part of the plan. Not to say that they may have taken it further than originally thought, but the purpose of the character to begin with was for him to become an Icon. They knew they had a good thing when they started, otherwise they would have never had the original campaign with him. So, I guess the "Stitch Invastion" was probably planned from the beginning. And since it's still around, it looks like it worked. He served the role he was supposed to. It sounds like they are now weening away from Stitch now. Again, it has only been 2 years since Stitch's arrival at the parks. Most guests don't go but every few years, so there is still some untapped potential for the character. At least he isn't in the Luau yet. Just the song.

Here's something we adults don't normally think about, Disney really is geared toward kids! Lol, no really!
With that said, the kids, (I know mine in particular) LOVE Stitch. He may be obnoxious and rude but the kids love him! I personally do not like the Stitch ride, but my kids sure do. So perhaps that's why he's so popular.

hammysammy59

Stitch is loud, obnoxious and violent (but deep down sweet and wanting acceptance)... making him the perfect foil to the rest of the nicey-nice Disney characters. He brings some balance (and a previously non-existent edge) to the Disney crew. Stitch is easily one of my favorite animated characters. His ride was mediocre, but the original Lilo and Stitch film was a classic, and the character is a whole lot of fun.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
STR8FAN2005 said:
He's a pesky, annoying, rude, ugly character that I don't appreciate in the least.
Most adults share your opinion however most kids seem to love and identify with the character because the character fit a niche that had never really been explored by Disney. He was the "bad boy" that in the end did the right thing. Because of this I think the character is much more popular and successful then we, the members of a primarily adult Disney forum, give him credit.

I don't think anyone could argue that the Stitch presence n the parks went way past overkill but that is to be expected. Society as a whole has a shorter attention span than ever so when a idea gains market popularity it will inevitably be driven down our throats because that is what the average consumer wants. Many of us will claim otherwise but Disney would not keep producing Stitch t-shirts, plushes, coffee mugs, etc if the products were not being purchased.

I am one of the few that is really indifferent to the whole Stitch debacle. I am not super fond of the character but I don't want him erased from Disney history either.

TheLittleMerman

Oh, I loved the "Part of Your World (Reprise)" teaser for Lilo & Stitch. The ballroom sequence of Beauty and the Beast was pretty hilarious as well.

*tlm

THECARISMINE

hammysammy59 said:
Stitch is loud, obnoxious and violent (but deep down sweet and wanting acceptance)...

Stitch isn't violent he's just an alien that took over AE and made many (myself included:cry: ) cry. But his movie the first one anyway was a great disney classic like you said so we can't all be made at him for a mistake disney made with his charter and this problem would be making him literally take over everything and as a theme park look at then yes he is the worst change in disney theme park history but just as a character he's a great one no dought about it. So don't blame it on the poor blue armed fur ball blame disney for his takeover

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
I love Stitch, he is one of the best characters in the disney lineup. You can think of him simply as rude and evil, or you can get complex and try to think what he is thinking. Being programmed for evil and galatic domination, but slowly allowing himself to be turned by Lilo so he can find a niche in his new world. He suffers from depression caused by not having loved ones around him, while seeing many other families come together also causes a deep jealousy.

Either way I have the Stitch, here comes trouble window decal :D

LilRoo714

I can see both sides of this discussion and yes, Stitch is a more predominant character in Magic Kingdom than any of the other characters right now. This board sounds like Stitch is taking over all of WDW! He's not even in AK, MGM or Epcot in any significant way other than merchandise which he shares in part with other characters who are becoming a bigger presence like Tinkerbell who's seen an increase in visibility lately too.

But just because Stitch had the monorail spiel, a ride, merch store and a character breakfast... doesn't that simply elevate him to the same relevance as Winnie the Pooh and friends have? :rolleyes: (Actually they have 2 attractions!) Disney's building a brand with Stitch but don't worry, they're not taking out Mickey to do it! :p

Leighbert

CommandoDisney said:
stitch is the han solo of the disney charater world...

and that takes the cake for the nerdiest thing ive ever said.

LOL:lol: :lol:

Everyone in my family loves Stitch. My 5 year old daughter especially loves him. The thing that she loves best is that he was able to create his own family. A lot of little kids (and big kids too) identify with that aspect of his story.

Tim G

POOHKILLEDTOAD said:
Love him or hate him, you have to admitt he's one on the most original concepts disney has had in years.
Don't really like the ride, but I'm loving Stitch... :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom