Stitch has gone CRAZY!!!

M:SpilotISTC12

Original Poster
Screamscape spies sent us an interesting story that Disney apparently was able to keep under the news radar. It seems that things got a little out of control inside Stitch’s Great Escape a couple of weeks ago when apparently in the middle of a show the Stitch figure, which will filled with hydraulic fluid, apparently exploded that fluid all over the captive audience. Hydraulic fluid is said to burn and irrate bare skin on contact, so the whole theater full of people had to be taken backstage to be cleaned up, given all new clothing and apparently comped them to infinity and beyond to keep the occurrence quiet. Of course this isn’t the first time something like this has happened with an animatronic figure... there was a famous incident on Jurassic Park in Hollywood where the giant T-Rex at the end of the ride barfed up hydraulic fluid over several boats before the problem was discovered.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_-_magic_kingdom.htm

Why dont they just get rid of it. For the love of god.

1disneydood

:lol: It would have been worth it just to see him explode. :lol: :sohappy:

"And now you see kiddies what our atmosphe can do to extra terrestrials." :lol:

DisneyRoxMySox

Altough it is sad that the audience had to endure that, I am sure they were treated greatly for their troubles. I wonder what they got?

And it is funny. :lol: A sign to close it too. :lol:

Buried20KLeague

Something sounds fishy about this... All the people in that theatre, all those kids, plus the CM's that frequent this board... And we haven't heard a peep about this. As paranoid as Disney is right now, there's no way they don't send medical teams to the site just in case someone had fluid in their eye, or something of that nature...

Any tomorrowland CM's want to weigh in on this one?? Weren't they only using one theatre for SGE in the first place, meaning hydraulic failure would require a lengthy shutdown? Was SGE down a couple weeks ago?

I'm skeptical on this one.

M:SpilotISTC12

Original Poster
I thought that too. But I saw it was very recent on screamscape so I thought it could have happened and it just had reached here yet.

Rayray

I don't know if I believe that. First of all, doesn't Disney use a clear hydraulic fluid, and second of all, does the Stitch AA even use hydraulic? I thought WDI started using actuators and air pistons when they could. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

BTW, does hydraulic fluid get hot during use?:confused:

MickeyTigg

M:SpilotISTC12 said:
Screamscape spies sent us an interesting story that Disney apparently was able to keep under the news radar. It seems that things got a little out of control inside Stitch’s Great Escape a couple of weeks ago when apparently in the middle of a show the Stitch figure, which will filled with hydraulic fluid, apparently exploded that fluid all over the captive audience. Hydraulic fluid is said to burn and irrate bare skin on contact, so the whole theater full of people had to be taken backstage to be cleaned up, given all new clothing and apparently comped them to infinity and beyond to keep the occurrence quiet. Of course this isn’t the first time something like this has happened with an animatronic figure... there was a famous incident on Jurassic Park in Hollywood where the giant T-Rex at the end of the ride barfed up hydraulic fluid over several boats before the problem was discovered.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_-_magic_kingdom.htm

Why dont they just get rid of it. For the love of god.

The way the Orlando Sentinel operates...I seriously doubt that this could go under the radar for long.

This seems bogus to me.

lilphil6487

omg. lol thats so funny. i was there a couple of weeks ago. i wish i was on it when it happened. i love stitch and i aint got nothin against stitch's great escape but that would have just have made my day right there. lol thats great

Buried20KLeague

Rayray said:
I don't know if I believe that. First of all, doesn't Disney use a clear hydraulic fluid, and second of all, does the Stitch AA even use hydraulic? I thought WDI started using actuators and air pistons when they could. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

BTW, does hydraulic fluid get hot during use?:confused:

Yep. Hydraulic fluid gets VERY hot during use. I think it's due to the speed and pressure on the fluid, but I'm not COMPLETELY sure about that. I used to be an ops forman for Six Flags in STL, and they have a very large ferris wheel that's driven by being pushed along the bottom by 4 tires ran by hydraulic motors. One day we had a hydraulic line blow. I was right below it, actually. Instantly myself and the guests in the gondolas close by were sprayed. QUITE hot. It didn't for a lasting burn, but for 10 or 15 minutes, I was wondering.

Now, in that case, they did exactly what Screamscape is claiming... They took everyone backstage, got people cleaned up, and gave them all new clothes... To my knowledge they weren't offered any additional compensation. I certainly wasn't, at least!! :lol: But... That's a local Six Flags park, not WDW. Not as high profile.

Rayray

Thanks for the info buried20kleague. Maybe the viscosity of the fluid creates a lot of friction when it moves from chamber to chamber.

Does anyone know if the AAs use hydraulics still?

imagineersrock

Hey didn't someone on these boards tell us about this, in a trip report or something if I'm not mistaken..? I am almost positive I have read this story on here before and that the person was given a hard time because the story seemed so unbelievable!

PhilharMagician

Yes air can be used in some instances, but with the agility of Stitch I would put a bug no to air. The velocity that the hydrolic fluid flows back and forth through the actuators with pressure changes and friction it gets extremely hot. Logically he could have blown 1 line and sprayed one area of the theater. I would also expect that the system pressures are monitored and would go into a complete shutdown as soon as a pressure drop happens.

Just wait till the Yeti :hurl: all over you as you roll under him on EE. Think of a waterfall.:lol:

Now why can't I be lucky enough to get covered with hot oil and get comp for it.:lookaroun

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I doubt this as well.

First of all based on the size of the Stitch AA it is very doubtful that there would be enough hydraulic fluid running through it to "soak" the entire audience. At most if a high pressure line burst and flapped around under pressure for a few seconds some people might get sprayed a little but not the entire audience. If it even uses hydraulics at all.

Second and more importantly there is no conceivable way that something could happen this major to that many people and not one person contacted the press or a lawyer. Even if they were handing out life time passes and 300 point DVC memberships someone would of thought that the could have gotten more and spilled the beans.

I know some AA do use hydraulics. The robot cop (can't remember his name) at the SGE preshow is hydraulic and it does use clear fluid. It is my understanding the clear hydraulic fluid has been the only hydraulic fluid use on Disney AAs since an unfortunate incident with original Lincoln AA during a demonstration.

The fluid does get hot but how hot is dependent on the speed at which the fluid is pushed, the frequency of cycles and what if any cooling system is used.

Hydraulic fluid is corrosive by definition but will not burn a hole in your skin the instant you touched it. It will burn quite a bit if it gets into your eyes. Depending on the type of fluid used a shower would pretty much solve the problem.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
PhilharMagician said:
Yes air can be used in some instances, but with the agility of Stitch I would put a bug no to air. The velocity that the hydrolic fluid flows back and forth through the actuators with pressure changes and friction it gets extremely hot. Logically he could have blown 1 line and sprayed one area of the theater. I would also expect that the system pressures are monitored and would go into a complete shutdown as soon as a pressure drop happens.

Just wait till the Yeti :hurl: all over you as you roll under him on EE. Think of a waterfall.:lol:

Now why can't I be lucky enough to get covered with hot oil and get comp for it.:lookaroun
I thought the Yeti used pressurized nitrogen cylinders and not fluid hydraulics.

Rayray

Master Yoda said:
It is my understanding the clear hydraulic fluid has been the only hydraulic fluid use on Disney AAs since an unfortunate incident with original Lincoln AA during a demonstration.

That's true. Representatives of the Illinois government were not amused when blood red hydraulic fluid began to pump out of Mr. Lincoln after the AA suffered a leak. From what I understand, Walt vowed never to use colored fluid again.

blakesse06

this has happend numerious times on rides and shows in fact i herd of this happning last summer also at sge.
i can tell you for a fact that though farly uncommon that hydralic leaks occor i most off the time though they are only slow leaks resulting in a charctor "wetting itself" wich can be funny to see but as soon as cm's/mantince are allerted of this the attrection will be cycled down and the leak will be fixed and the figure will get a change of chlothes wich all happens in about 45 mins usually. in fact all attractions carry a change of chlothes for there charctors
What that has been dicribed as happening to stich is when a line comes lose or blows witch will result in the fluid shooting 30ft or so and it can be a fue minutes before the hydralic fluid levens become low enough in the system to warrant the pump to shut itself off i have seen this happen and it is needless to say messy as hell
as for the anamatrocs being numatic well parts of them are manly only eyes and mouth this is why if you have ever wittnised a show loose hydralic pressure mouths and eyes move but nothing elce. witch also is funny as hell to see.

sorry about the spelling errors in here i had a lot to type

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom