Still working on itinerary - what about Rafiki's Planet Watch?

CThaddeus

While planning your itinerary, pretend that you never saw Rafikis Planet Watch on any of the vacation planning materials. Act like it's not there, and just plan on interesting attractions... which is just about every attraction that is not Rafikis Planet Watch. That sounds kind of harsh, doesn't it? It's not that it's insulting or horrible, it's just not something to bog down your vacation plans with when there's so many better things to experience.

Yeah, sorry. I completely disagree with you. You're welcome to believe it's not interesting, but just because you don't think it's one of the better things to do, doesn't mean they might not. My general feeling is that everyone should try everything once. If you hate it after you've tried it, then sure, don't go again. Personally, I'd recommend skipping the incredibly lame Kali River Rapids and the truly sad Chester n' Hester's area, instead...unless you've never done them. But I'd still recommend trying to find the time to visit Rafiki's Planet Watch. I still think it's one of the more undiscovered gems of Animal Kingdom.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The truth:

You ride a train, watching trees go by. You get off said train, walk down a long path, and finally come to a building. This building has interactive areas that make run down science museums look thrilling. There is a room with a glass wall that has butterflys and occasionally they do some animal checkups or a surgery in a little hospital room with a glass wall. Outside, there's some goats as part of a petting zoo. There i also a store with absolutely nothing unique to Animal Kingdom to purchase that isn't even worth the time it takes to walk through. It's all junk that your kids will wants but is really crappy - you can most of it at a dollar store. For less.

Then you wash your hands, leave the petting zoo, tromp back along the hot and muggy forest trail, wait for 20mins in the heat for the train, complain bitterly that you bothered to goto Rafiki's Crapfest, get on said train, and ride back to civilization past more trees. Get off train, resist urge to poke the CM in the eye for making you experience such misery for the last 45mins, and get on with your life.

That's exactly what it's like.

CThaddeus

Oh... I'm sorry... I thought they were looking for people's opinions. I'll try not to give my opinion next time.

As I said in my post, you're welcome to your opinion, but you basically told her to pretend it's not there. I can't imagine ever telling anyone that. I might not like it, and I might say that, but I'd never try to convince someone to pretend something doesn't exist.
Undoubtedly, based on the negative reviews posted so far, she won't go. It's a shame. I guess the truth is I don't think she should be asking should I or shouldn't I? She can ask, and people can answer, but who's to say her feelings would match those of the other posters on this site? But, then, she might go and absolutely hate it, and then think all those who encouraged her to go wasted her time.
In the end, it's really up to her. I hope that if one of the people she's going with wants to go she won't completely dismiss the idea based on what she's read here, but it's hard not to be influenced by so many incredibly negative posts.
I'm sorry if it sounded like I was trying to censor your opinion, I was just unhappy that you told her to pretend it didn't exist. You're certainly still entitled to say that, but then I'm also entitled to say I disagree and why.

The truth:

You ride a train, watching trees go by. You get off said train, walk down a long path, and finally come to a building. This building has interactive areas that make run down science museums look thrilling. There is a room with a glass wall that has butterflys and occasionally they do some animal checkups or a surgery in a little hospital room with a glass wall. Outside, there's some goats as part of a petting zoo. There i also a store with absolutely nothing unique to Animal Kingdom to purchase that isn't even worth the time it takes to walk through. It's all junk that your kids will wants but is really crappy - you can most of it at a dollar store. For less.

Then you wash your hands, leave the petting zoo, tromp back along the hot and muggy forest trail, wait for 20mins in the heat for the train, complain bitterly that you bothered to goto Rafiki's Crapfest, get on said train, and ride back to civilization past more trees. Get off train, resist urge to poke the CM in the eye for making you experience such misery for the last 45mins, and get on with your life.

I'll second that...

Me and my younger brother went there during my family's first ever trip to Walt Disney World. Needless to say, on following trips and the 4 month I spent on the CP I didn't bother going back...

Yensid_Robert9

To be honest, in my opinion unless your kids really love nemo and you don't mind seeing a bunch of weird looking people dressed funny holding onto fish... don't see nemo! I love nemo but I was sorely dissapointed with the musical. But with Rafiki's, I would say don't take your kids to it until you think they are old enough to appreciate the message of the whole place. It's a very interesting place. It's in no way meant to be a huge mind blowing experience. It's simply there to educate and show that people can help and how to do their part in taking care of ecosystems. ( Sorry, it's the DAK CM in me) anyways I enjoy the train ride also, it's kinda cool if you've ever been curious to see what backstage areas look like.(and you know you all have!) Oh yeah one more thing have you ever seen Jiminy Cricket at any meet and greets in the parks? No? Well, Jiminy is huge in Environmentality, a big thing talked about at RPW...HINT,HINT!:hammer:

CrashNet

mousermerf said:
The truth:

Tell us how you really feel. :lol:

Just kidding. As you stated wanting to hit the big stuff, I wouldn't spend time here either. Go only if you have nothing else to do or if your children, really, really, REALLY want to see it.

bhg469

I pretty much agree with everyone. It is interesting to see once but beyond that it is definitely a 1 time attraction unless they add something to it.

dazzer68

if youve got the time its an ok place to visit but if your only at ak for the one day (!) youll have better things to do, just to see the shows and parades will be half of it! i like to the planet watch thing as a place to get away from it all but on a tight time restraint as yours leave it.the the treks instead where you walk at your own pace and not get stuck on a very slow moving train

mouselvrmom

We actually went to Rafiki's with the sole intention of seeing Jiminy Cricket, which we did along with Rafiki and Pocahontas. However, while we were there, my kids really did have a good time. My 4 year old son made friends with a great CM who told him all about spiders. He sat enthralled for about 30 minutes and asked her questions and looked at all of her dead spiders. It was great to see him so interested in science. Also, my 6 year old girl had a great time searching for all of the hidden mickeys in the wall mural there. Pocahontas even pointed one out for us. So I guess it really just depends on your mindset when you go there and your kids attitudes about it. We had fun.

2excitedkids

we skipped this part of ak on our first trip in feb. for time sake. but we are going back this sept. so we are going to go and see for ourselves. i have 2 kids, 7 and 4 so they will probably like this. but we are doing this last and if time doesn't permit we will skip again.

DON'T MISS NEMO THE MUSICAL. my truck driver in husband still can't quit talking about this show, he loved it and so did the kids.

philipneil

For what's it's worth, my girlfriend and I are both Grade four teachers and in Nova Scotia that means we teach a Habitats unit in science. We loved Rafiki's Planet Watch, especially the walking trail.

I guess I'd sum it all up by saying, it would make a great destination for a class trip. Then again, you are supposed to be on vacation, so...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom