Steve Jobs has died

JustInTime

I love the Steve Jobs graphic on the home page. But shouldn't other Disney Royalty get similar treatment? Like Roy? Hmm...

durangojim

I'm hoping that Steve and Walt are having a conversation up there and in many many years, I'd like to see what they come up with.

njDizFan

I'm hoping that Steve and Walt are having a conversation up there and in many many years, I'd like to see what they come up with.
Our since he was a Buddhist maybe he will get reincarnated judged by his Karma.

Not trying to be flippant, I was a big fan of the man and his work.

MissMorrow

I will never understand why visionaries like Steve always seem to leave us so early in their lives :(

RIP Steve. You will be missed.

Clockwork

What Steve taught me

I think Mr. Jobs greatest gift in the end was his fighting spirit. He has shown terminally ill people everywhere that you don't have just lie down and die,you can be productive and influential till the very end. His fighting spirit and his grace will be what I remember. Not many people can face there own mortality and still be as functional and strong
he was. Thank you Mr. Jobs I will remember you with great reverence you will always be my generations Disney,Franklin,and Edison.

WeLComeHomE OKW

RIP Steve. An amazing man. He did not revolutionize the electronics themselves, he revolutionized the packaging, the marketing and the presentation of the products. He was a rebel and highly respected for that.

This is very wrong. Yes, Apple is absolutely known for their marketing, presentation, and "packaging"..erm...i guess. But, the whole reason he is a visionary is because he changed the actual products themselves.

Before the iPhone, there was no multitouch user interface available to the public. The operating system inside of it was incredibly intuitive and was polished by his mind. Yes, people in his company did the hard labor, but, that was the same with Walt Disney. Steve was the idea man, and far more than that.

He made the first usable interface for the personal computer with the Mac. Completely changed the way we used computers and made them accessible to the public. Before that, things were just DOS and written code.

Apple brought the mouse to the world for the first time, with Steve Jobs leadership.

Apple brought tablets to the marketplace, with Steve Jobs at the healm. Sure, tablets existed before...but, with capacitative touch screens and desktop operating systems, and they used stylus'. The actual iPad was the first of it's kind, never before was a tablet actually so user friendly, used only by the hand. A thing never before seen.

So, yes, you can say that he didn't do these things. But, it wouldn't make them true. Claiming that he was only a marketing king is about as further from the truth than you can imagine.

He was an idea man, a visionary, with the intelligence to nit-pick and lead the smartest men in the world. Even when the smartest people doubted him, he was proven right time and time again.

AEfx

Even when the smartest people doubted him, he was proven right time and time again.

He was also wrong quite a few times, as well. Just for a recent example, Apple TV? And if you dig back...there are quite a few "failures" before this current post-iPod Renaissance of Apple. NEXT tanked as a hardware manufacturer (because his famous obsession with design - which later became his greatest asset with the iPod, etc. - led to the company abandoning hardware completely). Go back further...LISA? There are quite a few - and don't forget, he was ousted out of the company way back when.

There is no need to whitewash the guy. Just like Walt, he was far from perfect. Some people are afraid if you talk about anything remotely negative that it somehow takes away from his accomplishments, and it doesn't. I mean, when he bilked Wozniak out of his share of a $5,000 bonus they got from Atari in the 70's, that doesn't take away his accomplishments - but it doesn't keep it from being true, either. I'm sure many of us made decisions in our 20's that we just have to live with, no matter what we accomplish later.

Personally, the only beef I had with him was the repeated attempts at content control/monopoly and the artificial gimping of devices for financial interests. He largely did it with music (though when he was finally forced to un-DRM iTunes, some of the damage was undone). He tried like heck with TV - by 2011 he expected us to all ditch cable and just have Apple TV, and to buy shows with "subscriptions" from iTunes. He was determined to get as large a cut as possible out of hosting other people's content on iTunes servers (not unlike the fact iTunes has the highest royalty rate in the eBook industry). Or the rather strict (and often arbitrary) way the iTunes store allows/disallows apps - which is why App Stores are already on their way out as people start ditching them and the control for webOS, or why eBooks on iDevices have generally gone stagnant and Amazon is getting all the business (since you can read Kindle on your iDevice, as well).

He wouldn't allow an SD card slot in any iDevices - which practically every other device had them, and years before (my 2005 phone had one, my 2010 iPhone does not). Instead of unlimited storage offered by SD cards, he'd rather us pay $100 more for a bit more of memory soldiered in. I mean, you can't even change the battery in your iPhone yourself like you can with virtually every other phone on the market. To get the deal with AT&T, they had to restrict MMS messages from iPhone until 2009 - when again, my 2005 phone could send a picture message without "emailing" it.

The guy was far from perfect. He was a great success, a true American "pick 'em up by the bootstraps" fairy tale. His design decisions helped market products quite well, some of which I own in spite of my reservations of some of the tactics used. I hardly think we'd still be typing DOS /commands in 2011 had he not pushed the GUI when he did, but nevertheless he was the one who made them successful.

I've been reminded a lot in the past few days about Michael Jackson*. It's sort of the same effect on some people. The people that hated MJ couldn't understand the outpouring of affection towards him in death, and some people elevated him to deity status. In truth, like Jobs, and Walt, they were all imperfect people who did amazing things. Who changed the course of their times, and died relatively young. But it doesn't help to whitewash anyone, because it actually helps people more to know that everyone has their rough edges - if anything, understanding they are human as well is the best inspiration of all.

[*note re: Michael Jackson comparison - I'm sure I'll get someone screaming that I dare mention the two in the same post, but truth is - very similar in terms of influence. There isn't a single performing rock/pop star who doesn't owe a debt to Michael Jackson who basically changed the way we look at musical performances, he undoubtedly changed the sound of music and had a talent that absolutely no one can deny. He also had some low points in his career (his last album, etc.) but has records that will likely never be broken because of market shifts - yeah, the two had quite a bit in common.]

zooey

He was also wrong quite a few times, as well. Just for a recent example, Apple TV? And if you dig back...there are quite a few "failures" before this current post-iPod Renaissance of Apple. NEXT tanked as a hardware manufacturer (because his famous obsession with design - which later became his greatest asset with the iPod, etc. - led to the company abandoning hardware completely). Go back further...LISA? There are quite a few - and don't forget, he was ousted out of the company way back when.

There is no need to whitewash the guy. Just like Walt, he was far from perfect. Some people are afraid if you talk about anything remotely negative that it somehow takes away from his accomplishments, and it doesn't. I mean, when he bilked Wozniak out of his share of a $5,000 bonus they got from Atari in the 70's, that doesn't take away his accomplishments - but it doesn't keep it from being true, either. I'm sure many of us made decisions in our 20's that we just have to live with, no matter what we accomplish later.

Personally, the only beef I had with him was the repeated attempts at content control/monopoly and the artificial gimping of devices for financial interests. He largely did it with music (though when he was finally forced to un-DRM iTunes, some of the damage was undone). He tried like heck with TV - by 2011 he expected us to all ditch cable and just have Apple TV, and to buy shows with "subscriptions" from iTunes. He was determined to get as large a cut as possible out of hosting other people's content on iTunes servers (not unlike the fact iTunes has the highest royalty rate in the eBook industry). Or the rather strict (and often arbitrary) way the iTunes store allows/disallows apps - which is why App Stores are already on their way out as people start ditching them and the control for webOS, or why eBooks on iDevices have generally gone stagnant and Amazon is getting all the business (since you can read Kindle on your iDevice, as well).

He wouldn't allow an SD card slot in any iDevices - which practically every other device had them, and years before (my 2005 phone had one, my 2010 iPhone does not). Instead of unlimited storage offered by SD cards, he'd rather us pay $100 more for a bit more of memory soldiered in. I mean, you can't even change the battery in your iPhone yourself like you can with virtually every other phone on the market. To get the deal with AT&T, they had to restrict MMS messages from iPhone until 2009 - when again, my 2005 phone could send a picture message without "emailing" it.

The guy was far from perfect. He was a great success, a true American "pick 'em up by the bootstraps" fairy tale. His design decisions helped market products quite well, some of which I own in spite of my reservations of some of the tactics used. I hardly think we'd still be typing DOS /commands in 2011 had he not pushed the GUI when he did, but nevertheless he was the one who made them successful.

I've been reminded a lot in the past few days about Michael Jackson*. It's sort of the same effect on some people. The people that hated MJ couldn't understand the outpouring of affection towards him in death, and some people elevated him to deity status. In truth, like Jobs, and Walt, they were all imperfect people who did amazing things. Who changed the course of their times, and died relatively young. But it doesn't help to whitewash anyone, because it actually helps people more to know that everyone has their rough edges - if anything, understanding they are human as well is the best inspiration of all.

[*note re: Michael Jackson comparison - I'm sure I'll get someone screaming that I dare mention the two in the same post, but truth is - very similar in terms of influence. There isn't a single performing rock/pop star who doesn't owe a debt to Michael Jackson who basically changed the way we look at musical performances, he undoubtedly changed the sound of music and had a talent that absolutely no one can deny. He also had some low points in his career (his last album, etc.) but has records that will likely never be broken because of market shifts - yeah, the two had quite a bit in common.]

Well said, sir.

Panhead

JobsMouse.jpg

bhg469

I agree completely. IMO he OK'd the things that gave me some of the technology that I enjoy today. I feel like his walled garden approach to most everything is more of a burden than a perfect approach to mobile computing. I do however 100% accept the fact that android (my mobile OS of choice) would not exist if it wasn't for his perfectionism.

I am not an apple fan by any means and I wasn't a fan of a lot of his work but I do respect what he did. I am guilty of criticizing his decisions often when it comes to their products.

I hope he wasn't in pain when his time came and wish his family peace knowing that he is no longer suffering.

a2grafix

Happened to be on vacation / holiday Oct 3-7 at WDW when news spread that Steve Jobs had passed. Learned about it via national cable TV CNN / FOX News / MSNBC after returning to Shades of Green after another long day at Universal Orlando, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot.

Next morning started my day at Hollywood Studios and immediately noticed all three flags in front of the park were half-staff. But I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I thought about it for a second - Steve Jobs, Apple, Pixar, Disney.

As I traveled through the parks Thursday and Friday I paid attention that the American flag and/or Florida state flag and/or D logo / WDW / Hollywood Studios flag were half-staff in honor and respect for Mr. Jobs.

Although many were taking pix of Mater and Lightning McQueen topiaries in front of Hollywood Studios, I decided for a difference perspective.

418778575.jpg

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Happened to be on vacation / holiday Oct 3-7 at WDW when news spread that Steve Jobs had passed. Learned about it via national cable TV CNN / FOX News / MSNBC after returning to Shades of Green after another long day at Universal Orlando, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot.

Next morning started my day at Hollywood Studios and immediately noticed all three flags in front of the park were half-staff. But I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I thought about it for a second - Steve Jobs, Apple, Pixar, Disney.

As I traveled through the parks Thursday and Friday I paid attention that the American flag and/or Florida state flag and/or D logo / WDW / Hollywood Studios flag were half-staff in honor and respect for Mr. Jobs.

Although many were taking pix of Mater and Lightning McQueen topiaries in front of Hollywood Studios, I decided for a difference perspective.

418778575-17b6acfe46993def629939980e03b9ae.4e90f210-scaled.jpg

I think this whole discussion has already been deleted once.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom