Steakhouse 55 Permanently Closed?

hawkfam

I wonder if they will turn it into a Marvel or Star Wars themed restaurant? One can hope. Why have the restaurant be themed to a nondescript Old Hollywood anyway?
With Ruth's Chris, Morton's and now Fleming's all so close I have to agree that Disney has to realize they aren't going to win the premier steakhouse game so why not go with a theme no one else can duplicate? No idea what it might be but others are doing steakhouses better for sure and Disney continues to show they are going for theming/IP right now.

Inspired Figment

Well ‘that’ really sucks… I always enjoyed eating a great steak dinner here with a wonderful quiet ambiance & great waiters/cms, the convenience of it being it was right on Disneyland property. What a shame… IMO, one of DLR’s BEST restaurants and one of their biggest losses since getting rid of the Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue place. Chapek’s cost cutting initiatives at it again. Terrible!

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

I accept that I'm in the minority here, but the one time I ate there I was overall unimpressed - steak was mediocre, price was high, service meh,, atmosphere/theming non-existent and seating with tables crowded too close.

So I'm really looking forward to whatever replaces it. Would love it to be something like Ohana's to go with the theming of the quick service places at the hotel. At least that would be something different than just a steak place with mediocre steak.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I accept that I'm in the minority here, but the one time I ate there I was overall unimpressed - steak was mediocre, price was high, service meh,, atmosphere/theming non-existent and seating with tables crowded too close.

So I'm really looking forward to whatever replaces it. Would love it to be something like Ohana's to go with the theming of the quick service places at the hotel. At least that would be something different than just a steak place with mediocre steak.

Well I'm sure Gamora's Grill will be better.

TP2000

Yup. It's official. Steakhouse 55 has closed permanently.

They also permanently closed the restaurant in the Paradise Pier Hotel that was oddly themed to a 1990's Date Nite.

Disneyland is exploring new options for a pair of permanently shuttered hotel restaurants that fell victim to the coronavirus pandemic — including a decades-old upscale steakhouse steeped in Disney history.

Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel and PCH Grill at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel have closed and options are being considered for the locations, according to Disneyland officials.

Goofy’s Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel is expected to return soon — although a reopening date has not yet been set. Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar and Tangaroa Terrace at the Disneyland Hotel will reopen on Friday, July 2 with the hotel’s coffee house returning on July 10.

Disney’s Anaheim theme parks, hotels, shops and restaurants were all shuttered by the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020. Disneyland is bringing back eateries at the parks and hotels in stages as part of a phased reopening.

Napa Rose, Storytellers Cafe, Hearthstone Lounge and GCH Craftsman Bar & Grill have already reopened at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel.

Disney has not announced when the Surfside Lounge fast-casual restaurant and the grab-and-go Sand Bar will reopen at the Paradise Pier Hotel.

The clubby and pricey Steakhouse 55, which opened in 2006, replaced Granville’s Steak House, which opened in 1983. The 55 in the steakhouse name refers to the 1955 opening date of the Disneyland theme park.

The dimly lit and dark wood-appointed Disneyland Hotel steakhouse promised to take diners back to a bygone era of lavish decadence and old Hollywood glamour.

Orange County Register restaurant critic Brad A. Johnson called Steakhouse 55 the place to go for dirty martinis, bone-in rib eyes and the “legendary” 24-layer chocolate cake.

The beachy and seaside-inspired PCH Grill offered up Disney character buffet breakfast and brunch along with an Italian dinner buffet.

PCH Grill employees were told the restaurant will be taken over by an operating participant and will no longer be a Disney-operated location, according to MousePlanet.

“The Paradise Pier Hotel has seemingly struggled to hit on a winning restaurant strategy,” according to MousePlanet. “The PCH Grill itself has gone through a number of menu and concept changes, trying everything from table service, BBQ buffet, character meals and even a passholder-exclusive menu offering.”

TP2000

Here are my thoughts on these two permanent closures. Sorry if I ruffle a few feathers, as I'm finishing my summer sundown cocktail...

Steakhouse 55 - Also known as, the restaurant I loved to hate. 🤣

It had so much potential. It was designed beautifully and cleverly in that rather limiting and confined 1970's space it was given. But the management of this restaurant for at least the past decade just couldn't pull it off. It was obvious the management here had no true fine dining experience or training. They were the epitome of that Disney thing where they think giving a big cheesy smile and a semi-convincing "I'm so sorry..." line was World Class Guest Service. It wasn't.

The service was acceptable at best, patchy way too often, and unkempt and sloppy on too many occasions. The details of fine dining were left undone, the lobby bar in front branded with the restaurant's name was a complete disaster, and too many CM's had the air of former ride operators who transferred over to the hotel to make good tips even though they had no proper training and obviously poor management to guide and lead them.

That said.... the actual food could be fabulous. But the experience and spotty service and obviously sketchy management just let the place fall apart over a decade ago.

The Anaheim Resort District now has three other actual world-class steakhouses all within walking distance of each other. And Ruth's Chris and Morton's have provided top notch service and finely polished presentation for years, so it's not something that is impossible within Anaheim city limits. They just couldn't pull it off at Steakhouse 55, regardless of how cleverly the Imagineers photoshopped the cigarettes out of Walt's hands on all those fabulous 1940's portraits on the walls.

Fleming's just opened literally a block south of the Disneyland Hotel at the new Westin. It's obvious that TDA realized they just couldn't compete with real fine dining establishments, they knew they didn't want to spend the cash and the energy to make Steakhouse 55 compete with the properly managed neighbors. So they gave up. Luckily, they get to blame Covid and the economic destruction it has wrought on Anaheim. :rolleyes:

PCH Grill - Really? That was still a going concern? It had the interior design of a bad 1990's date nite restaurant, locked in time like it was still 1997. They missed an opportunity to have TV screens above the buffet showing news reports of President Clinton's Monica Lewinsky scandal. "I did not have sex with that woman!" could play on a loop above the omelette station.

Or, maybe not. It was a family restaurant after all. But my God, was it stuck in the 1990's. So painful.

It was a sad, dated, dreary little space with low ceilings and a view of a secondary 6 lane street. But all you can eat Jell-O!

Godspeed to you PCH Grill. Somewhere there's a Friends Fan Convention that would love to have you cater.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

They had an amazing dry rub Tomahawk Ribeye steak, macorni and cheese, 24 layer cake, and mashed potatoes.

A special wedding day place my wife and I visited. So sad to see it go away.

My wife brought up a good point, she believes the clientelle for Steakhouse 55 are much more likely to be staying in the Grand Californian, while families usually end up in the Disneyland Hotel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom