Staying on Disney & using facilities of all resorts

jlfab

Haven't been to WDW since '76. Taking my family next spring. Been told by family and friends that if you stay at a resort you can use the facilities of all resorts (e.g. pools, restaurants). Probably staying at a value resort. Going for 8 days, have two families with six kids age 2-7. Want to take every other day off and stay at the pool. Anyone ever done this? How easy is it to travel from resort to resort to use the pools or restaurants? Which resorts have the best pools for young kids?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Restaurants are very easy to visit at other resorts, no problems there.

Pool hopping isnt really acceptable to most though, as the pools are sized for the number of guests at that resort, and are not built to accomodate non-resort guests using it as well. Best bet if you want a big pool is to visit a water park. hope that helps! :)

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
Hmmmm....I know some people are able to use all the pools, but I want to say it's the DVC members only who can do that? Maybe I'm wrong.

However, they don't exactly check IDs whenever you get off the bus, so how would they know what resort you are staying at.

I am 100% sure though, that you can go to the restaurants at any of the resorts.

Are you planning to drive or use the bus? If you use the bus you can't really "resort hop". You'd have to take the bus to a park and then from the park take a different bus to the resort of your choice. It would be much easier to drive between them all.

Upvote 0

madalex

Originally posted by Laura22
Hmmmm....I know some people are able to use all the pools, but I want to say it's the DVC members only who can do that? Maybe I'm wrong.

However, they don't exactly check IDs whenever you get off the bus, so how would they know what resort you are staying at.

I am 100% sure though, that you can go to the restaurants at any of the resorts.

DVC members can use the pools at all the other DVC resorts (except, I think, Stormalong Bay at YC/BC, because that gets so crowded).

They don't check IDs when you get off the bus, but they do check IDs at many of the Deluxe resort pools (especially Stormalong Bay) to make sure that only resort guests are using the pool.

Restaurants are definitely open to all WDW visitors.

Upvote 0

jlfab

Original Poster
Picking the right resort

[

So, it sounds like its hard to go to another resort even just for dinner, especially with young kids in tow. So, we should pick a resort with the best restaurants and pool. Especially since we want to have off days from the parks to relax. Unless you have a car which we won't. Who's got the best pool for young kids, you know maybe a slide or those water guns, etc.?

Upvote 0

swimmom

The zero entry pools are nice for kids in your age group, however they are at deluxe resorts, Animal Kingdom Lodge & Polynesian. You could watch for savings on accomodations as your trip gets closer. Ploynesian also makes transportation to a few resorts a little easier by monorail and just a walk to TTC.

Also on one of your days away from the parks you could spend some time just riding the monorail.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I know they check to see if you are staying at the WL at the pool. We have been asked for our room key and I've also seen them send a family back to Fort Wilderness who came over to use the pool & hot tub.
You can't use StormalongBay unless you are staying at the YC & BC Resorts. There was a time when pool hopping was accecptable, but with the advent of Value Resorts that has stopped. If you hit the water parks get there early as its hard to explain to your kids you can't go in because its full (speaking from experience). If you don't want to go to the parks everyday how about some mini golf...its alot of fun.
You can use restaurants, snackbars & arcades at any resort.
If you are staying on site then you have access to all transportation. Hope we didn't rain on your parade too much. :wave:

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

Re: Picking the right resort

Originally posted by jlfab
So, it sounds like its hard to go to another resort even just for dinner, especially with young kids in tow.

This really isn't as hard as it sounds. My wife and I do this ALL the time. Since you're going to have off days, it just takes a bit extra planning and time to get from your resort to the other resort. My wife and I make quite a habbit out of restaurant hopping.

We'll spend the day at a park and then walk/bus/boat/monorail to the resort we want to eat at. Then we take a bus back to the park or to downtown disney if it's late and then a second bus to our resort. Adds about 20 minutes to the trip time but not really difficult. We did this a lot when we stayed at Pop Century in March.

So, we should pick a resort with the best restaurants and pool. Especially since we want to have off days from the parks to relax. Unless you have a car which we won't. Who's got the best pool for young kids, you know maybe a slide or those water guns, etc.?

With the pools you sorta do need to stay at the resort with the pool you like. Don't know if any of the resort pools have water guns. Possibly Carribbean Beach with the canon's on the old fort. All the moderate and deluxe resorts have some type of slide. Yacht and Beach Clubs (a deluxe resort) share a mini water park called Stormalong Bay. It has pools with real sand bottoms, inflatable rafts for the lazy river, and the longest resort water silde from an old ship wreck.

Added bonus to Yacht and Beach club is it's within walking distance to great restaurants. Swan, Dolphin, and Disney's Boardwalk have a dozen or so great restaurants. And they are no more than a 5 minute walk from Yatch and Beach. Not to mention you can walk to the back door of Epcot's World Showcase with all thier great food!

But for the added price of the room, you could simply rent a car so it's not really worth the extra expense if you're really just trying to avoid busses.

Upvote 0

Raven66

We stayed at All Star Movies and their pool was great. They had a little kid area and then the big pool. I'm sure where ever you pick you will have a great time.:wave:

15 days to go!!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Disney Hog

Keep in mind that if you book a resort package you will be charged park admission for your "days off". You might want to consider doing a room only reservation with a Park Hopper Ticket. This way you won't be charged for the parks when you don't use them. It could save you some major money, especially if you plan on taking 2-4 days off.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

One thing to also keep in mind is that at all the value resorts all they have is counter service. This might be ok for you, but if you really wanted to stay at the resort and have sit down service dinner, you would have to jump up to at least a moderate. Coronado springs has a great pool for kids. It has a giant Pyramid with a water slide and the dig site which is a playground. My 4 year old daughter loved it.

With the amount of people you will have going for 8 days, you might also want to look into getting at least one Annual Pass. The discounts on the rooms alone would more than pay for the pass.

Since you haven't been there in almost 30 years you will be surprised in the amount to do in the parks. You could spend all day in the parks for the 8 days you are there and still not do everything there is to do, so really think about your plans for park passes before buying them.

Go through the WDW web page and learn as much about WDW you can before going.

Good luck on your planning!

Upvote 0

TURKEY

The rooms in the Alligator Bayou section of Port Orleans Riverside will sleep 5 people. There are 2 double beds per room as well as a pull-out trundle bed in those rooms that are good for small kids.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
The Yacht and Beach Club definately has the best pool and the strictest ID checks. If you are watching your money, I'd say either one of the Port Orleans Resorts.

With a group that large, you may want to check out a Villa at the Beach Club since you are still able to use the pool.

I can help you find a good Resort with everything you need if you want the help.

Pam

Upvote 0

Calamar

When I visited Walt Disney World earlier this week (3 days), I faced this problem as well. I was unable to reserve a room at my first choice among resorts, so I was interested in using the facilities of the other resorts. The cast members at the resorts informed me that it was possible for guests to use the gym facilities of any Disney resort -- while I did stop by the Contemporary for its gym, I had forgotten about the associated fee ($15 per day), and so I never actually used it.

Regarding the pools, as someone else noted, they were designed for a particular number of guests -- if you find that they're crowded, perhaps you should do the right thing and find another pool. Otherwise, I doubt you'd have any problem using the pools of Yacht and Beach Club, Grand Floridian, etc. Most pools are lacking access controls of any kind, and those that do have them enforce them poorly.

How does one actually visit the resorts? Well, you could go via bus, but this would require at least two trips. If you have a car, you may park at the resorts -- but some Deluxe resorts have restricted parking. You can obtain a temporary three-hour pass at the Polynesian and Contemporary, while the parking at the Grand Floridian is unlimited for resort guests (at least when I visited). Unfortunately, this parking lot fills up rapidly, as one might expect. I don't know about the policies at the other Deluxe resorts.

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
The rooms in the Alligator Bayou section of Port Orleans Riverside will sleep 5 people. There are 2 double beds per room as well as a pull-out trundle bed in those rooms that are good for small kids.

Sorry to get off-topic but I have a question about those trundle beds...

I read in a few places different things about who can sleep in those beds. Now, my question is: There are 5 of us in my immediate family. If my little sister is 5' tall exactly (maybe 1" more but I doubt it), will she fit in the trundle bed? We want to go for Thanksgiving and want to save money on rooms. If we can't all fit in one room at POR, we'll just invite someone else to split the second room with at ASMusic :lol:

Upvote 0

debbiedoo

As said the restaurants are no problem. I am a dvc member and we are told that no pool hopping is along to beach club and AKL. There are blackout dates for pool hopping, and I would ask them at customer service. These days are usually when the peak times are. A lot in the spring/summer.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Originally posted by DDuckFan130
Sorry to get off-topic but I have a question about those trundle beds...

I read in a few places different things about who can sleep in those beds. Now, my question is: There are 5 of us in my immediate family. If my little sister is 5' tall exactly (maybe 1" more but I doubt it), will she fit in the trundle bed? We want to go for Thanksgiving and want to save money on rooms. If we can't all fit in one room at POR, we'll just invite someone else to split the second room with at ASMusic :lol:

The trundle beds are big enough to comfortably fit an average 8-10 year old. The bed itself is about 1' total smalled in length than an average bed since they do store them under the double beds that are in the room. I am not sure of the total length of the bed, but someone 5' tall should be able to fit on there.

Pam

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom