Statements about WDW that grind your gears

cat hem

"Disney is for kids" - well I'm an adult and I pay for the trip and yes I like to have an adult drink.
"I like the zoo at Disney World" - .:banghead:
"We're going on Spring Break - no we didn't make reservations, we're just going to show up" - well have fun with that!

General Mayhem

I'm not going to argue that Epcot doesn't need some work (which it appears to be getting now), but too many people seem to think that Epcot version 1.0 could have lasted forever. It was great for its time, but that time has long passed.
That's assuming that the park in question has kept the level of quality the same, but we all know that's not true.

Hcalvert

I guess I disagree with you. I have been to other parks in the past and have to chaperone a field trip to a regional amusement park every school year (well not this one). The regional park has more thrilling coasters than Disney but the rides have no story. I appreciate the story, theme, and details of Disney. Plus high thrilling rides aren’t what I enjoy all the time. I have no interest in visiting other parks things like Cedar Point or Six Flags, and even Universal. My money is limited and Disney has what I want in a theme park and there isn’t anything wrong with that as you allude to in your last statement. And I stand by my statement of Disney is for everyone.
I agree with you. I went to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio with my students last year and I didn't care for it. Yeah, it had thrilling rides, but the theming was non-existent. I felt like I was surrounded by concrete and steel bars and an occassional tree wherever I went.

Walt Disney1955

I think you can like Cedar Point and still like Disney as well. To me it is like saying you can't like Universal either.

I guess what grinds my ears the most are the suggestions (demands?) from people on these boards that want to change the WDW we all grew up and loved into more or less a police state of wearing masks or doing "whatever it takes" to keep people safe. That "whatever it takes" is what worries me because the Disney I know might be gone forever if people - even on these boards - have their way. It won't be the place you go to escape the outside world anymore. And by the way, for the thousands of people that go there daily, I thought it was a pretty darn safe place to begin with.

Walt Disney1955

After Matt Ouimet took over Cedar Fair and having a bit of a career in the Disney parks it's no wonder why the recent ads have a "Disney-esque" vibe to them..

It does have that vibe. And it is a heck of a fun place to go. 18 or 19 roller coasters I believe, but if you go in the summer you can still fill in a day or two with the water park and even go on the rides that aren't rollercoasters, or see the shows. There is enough to see there.

Jrb1979

I agree with you. I went to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio with my students last year and I didn't care for it. Yeah, it had thrilling rides, but the theming was non-existent. I felt like I was surrounded by concrete and steel bars and an occassional tree wherever I went.
Theming doesn't do much for me. I go to parks for thrills. I would take going a 420 ft tall coaster at 120 mph over most Disney attraction.

Giss Neric

Theming doesn't do much for me. I go to parks for thrills. I would take going a 420 ft tall coaster at 120 mph over most Disney attraction.
I'm the same as you but unfortunately the rest of my family and extended family can't do those rides that's why we always end up in Disney/Universal parks. Way more expensive but everybody gets to enjoy.

Jrb1979

Curious why you joined this site if you don’t care for Disney that much
I like Disney but enjoy other parks more. The biggest reason is I dislike how much planning is involved to really enjoy it. My vacations usually consist of booking the hotel and flight. The rest I make up as I go. Disney was a lot better when you could just show up at the park and you pick your fast passes that day.

NelleBelle

I think you can like Cedar Point and still like Disney as well. To me it is like saying you can't like Universal either.

I guess what grinds my ears the most are the suggestions (demands?) from people on these boards that want to change the WDW we all grew up and loved into more or less a police state of wearing masks or doing "whatever it takes" to keep people safe. That "whatever it takes" is what worries me because the Disney I know might be gone forever if people - even on these boards - have their way. It won't be the place you go to escape the outside world anymore. And by the way, for the thousands of people that go there daily, I thought it was a pretty darn safe place to begin with.
The general public does not dictate safety policy at Disney. When Disney opens, the company will be following policy they've developed to minimize their legal risk and keep the visitors in parks safe while following local and state guidelines. Who cares if people want to wear masks at Disney to feel safe. If Disney doesn't mandate that guests wear masks, then to each their own. And if Disney does mandate wearing of masks, then your choice is either to go and wear a mask or not.

smooch

I don't see Disney becoming a police state of wearing masks and using preventative measures like that forever. People are suggesting or I guess demanding apparently that Disney have people wear masks to prevent the spread of a highly communicable disease that we currently have no vaccine or treatment for, I don't think that's ridiculous thing to ask of guests. If you are so eager to return to the parks so close to reopening from a global pandemic then you should expect Disney to take precautions. That said, I don't get what you're saying that the Disney you know might be gone forever when referencing these changes? Do you think Disney is going to require people to wear masks in 2024? Do you think they'll only operate at 50% capacity and never have another parade again? I understand not wanting to attend the parks once they reopen due to the changes in operation and all the things that will be cut, but do you really think the parks will remain that way? Even if we live in a future where we haven't developed a vaccine or even a treatment for this argument's sake, people are going to find ways to return to somewhat of a normal existence. I honestly don't see any long term, permanent changes that would turn Disney World into a police state of sanitary enforcement. Like you said yourself, the parks have operated for a long time and have remained sanitary, we are going to see the parks return to "normal" eventually. It might even take a couple years depending on many factors, but I can not imagine how the Disney you know will be so different even in the distant future.

FettFan

I hate it when people get attraction facts wrong. I'm essentially a Disney Sheldon Cooper.
66Gw.gif

Case in point: Once I overheard a woman telling someone that she didn't want to ride Big Thunder Mountain because it was "Scary, especially when the ghosts jump out at you".

I've also heard "Hey, the Main Street Theater is where they have a 3D movie!" Nope.

And don't get me started on the infamous "that time they put Jungle Book characters on the Jungle Cruise and there was an animatronic of King Louie dancing in the temple.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I hate it when people get attraction facts wrong. I'm essentially a Disney Sheldon Cooper.
66Gw.gif

Case in point: Once I overheard a woman telling someone that she didn't want to ride Big Thunder Mountain because it was "Scary, especially when the ghosts jump out at you".
Maybe they had a sixth sense. There may be some really scary 👻👻 haunting that attraction.

Disney.Mike

I've had friends that have asked me. How do you spend 6-8 days at WDW? There isnt that much to do.

These people had no idea that WDW was more than just the MK. I dont know what they thought EPCOT, DHS, and AK were. They also had no idea that WDW had actual restaurants. They would spend 2-3 days eating fast food burgers. Blows my mind how people are willing to spend money and do absolutely no research.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom