"Starbright Holidays" Drone show coming to Disney Springs

Rodan75

I can't imagine this being more effective until they can get 1000-1500 drones flying together. It just needs more 'resolution' to get a good picture.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Amazing how they don't run into each other. Almost as amazing as Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters not slamming into each other.

It probably wouldn't be an issue if they did bump into each other. The rotors have a protective cage around them so it's likely they could bounce off each other without causing any damage.

Phil12

I can't imagine this being more effective until they can get 1000-1500 drones flying together. It just needs more 'resolution' to get a good picture.
I think they'll run the shows in waves of 6,000 airborne at any given time with a total of 24,000 per show.

Rodan75

I think they'll run the shows in waves of 6,000 airborne at any given time with a total of 24,000 per show.

That would be amazing. But that volume of drones/flixels or whatever they are calling them seems like it would be years away from manageable on the technology side.

Phil12

That would be amazing. But that volume of drones/flixels or whatever they are calling them seems like it would be years away from manageable on the technology side.
In January they were flying 100 drones and by November the show had 500 drones. I don't really think the technology will provide any stumbling blocks at all. The legal challenges concerning unmanned aviation may present problems that will need to be addressed.

RSoxNo1

Amazing how they don't run into each other. Almost as amazing as Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters not slamming into each other.
Really it's very similar, the Roadsters, Aquatopia and other more complex LPS systems only have to factor in two dimensions. The drones have to factor in three. Yes, it's complex but conceptually it's clearly possible.

Gringrinngghost

A little musing that I've been told is that there is a long version of the show but they are having tracking issues with the drones over the water. It's better when over ground than over water for the tracking due to reflections on the water.

Next Big Thing

So I was thinking of a way drones could be used (an in a way to improve show, too). Is replacing Tinkerbell during Wishes a possibility? Getting rid of that zip line would do wonders for show and it would make the moment so much cooler too (imo).

Lunair

So I was thinking of a way drones could be used (an in a way to improve show, too). Is replacing Tinkerbell during Wishes a possibility? Getting rid of that zip line would do wonders for show and it would make the moment so much cooler too (imo).

We'll need to see just how fast these drones can move. In this disney springs show they appear to move quite sluggishly, but I'm sure they're capable of faster movement. Problem is I don't know how fast they can accelerate. Tinkerbell typically moves with very sharp turns that would be hard to simulate. Unless they use several drones and light them up in sequence to simulate faster movement?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
We'll need to see just how fast these drones can move. In this disney springs show they appear to move quite sluggishly, but I'm sure they're capable of faster movement. Problem is I don't know how fast they can accelerate. Tinkerbell typically moves with very sharp turns that would be hard to simulate. Unless they use several drones and light them up in sequence to simulate faster movement?
They are extremely quick and agile. They move in and out of the show space rapidly.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Racing drones hit speeds in the 120 mph range and are quite agile even at that speed.

Kman101

Drones are extremely fast. I think they could simulate Tinker Bell using a drone just fine. They're likely moving slower in order to form the image they create.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They are extremely quick and agile. They move in and out of the show space rapidly.

Plus, the drones wouldn't have to follow Tink's current path since they're not limited to the tech of a zip line. They could arch over the castle like Tink does at the beginning of Disney movies.

Also, there was a patent for drones carrying screens and projecting on them... that could certainly be made into a Tink FX.

tjcouch

To add my review for the good of the order:

We watched the 7:00 show on the evening of Christmas. Since I am a fan of finding the quiet corners to enjoy Disney’s magic, we selected a spot on the grass on the property of Saratoga Springs equidistant between the speaker arrays that are anchored slightly offshore.

The audio experience was perfect, provided you can ignore the echo off the buildings on the West Side. (As a former audio professional, and since I mention it, I did not/could not ignore it . . . but accepted it since there were no other humans in my 30’ sphere, and that was my #1 priority. LOL)

I should also qualify my review with the following: 1. I have read every single article about the show I could find on the interwebs, including the Intel corporate PDF downloads, 2. I have read as many reviews online as I could stomach, 3. I watched many a YouTube video of the show….and used all of this data when selecting where to watch the show.

My expectations were low. To be honest my intrigue was more about how they “do the show” and less about the actual show.

At precisely 5 minutes before the show the peripheral lights illuminated the trees on the bank where we had roosted and the Mickey flowerbed lit up. Nice.

Then the silence (because I specifically chose a place where there would be silence) was interrupted by the odd whirring of 300 drones taking their place. This was actually quite amazing . . . a sound I had never heard before.

And then the show started. Zowee! Well done Disney and Intel. It was really quite impressive as we laid outstretched on our hotel towels on the riverbank.

Smiles all around.

And watching the “hive” return home with their faint red lights glowing was intriguing.

The “sad” part was watching the utility boat wander the lake with their spotlight, net, and presumably retrieving the dead drones from the lake.

Seriously – this show exceeded my expectations. I really wanted to watch the 8:30 show from right beside the launch base next to the Cirque parking lot . . . but there was no way I was leaving the “Flyin’ Marys” show at Raglan Road Irish Pub.

This show is in my not-to-be-missed file. I eagerly await the next generation of this tech.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom