News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

flynnibus

Premium Member
This makes me wonder how one would design a pool area in a real spaceship. I mean, you can't depend on sunlight so it would really just have to be lit by overhead lighting in simple or dramatic form. I guess you could have a "moonlight" pool with a view of space outside, but it could be really disorienting if "overhead" was a planet or if there was too much motion.

Simple... space frame dome... canopy with effects... You can still have a large open area and have it enclosed.

Just go right next door to the gaylord for anyone who might be confused on how it can work.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would imagine that the phrase "seamless integration with SWL" would indicate more than one excursion from Hubble to Batuu.

Integration doesn't necesarily mean movement. Examples of what it could mean and the words are still true without changing them...

Your story continues between the two..
The two places have continuity or connection points..
What you do in one, impacts your experience in the other..

Lensman

Simple... space frame dome... canopy with effects... You can still have a large open area and have it enclosed.

Just go right next door to the gaylord for anyone who might be confused on how it can work.
I'm not clear on how this would work on a real spaceship. :)

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
If you are busy... are you trapped?
Where is this transport going if you can leave anytime and end up at the same place as if it never left?

"Last thing I remember, I was Running for the door I had to find the passage back to the place I was before'Relax' said the night man,'We are programmed to receive.

You can check out any time you like, But you can never leave!"

drod1985

If you are busy... are you trapped?
Where is this transport going if you can leave anytime and end up at the same place as if it never left?

Whether you're busy or not has nothing to do with being trapped. Being trapped means you can't leave.

They can write the story however they want to justify leaving the starship. Transport shuttles back to Batuu could be equipped with hyperdrives. They're going to need an in-story reason for guests to be able to leave the resort entirely as well.

21stamps

Whether you're busy or not has nothing to do with being trapped. Being trapped means you can't leave.

They can write the story however they want to justify leaving the starship. Transport shuttles back to Batuu could be equipped with hyperdrives. They're going to need an in-story reason for guests to be able to leave the resort entirely as well.

I’m not sure if it still exists, but I remember looking at the Star Wars “in room experience” when it came out.. I think there was certain missions, and maybe an app.. I don’t see why this resort couldn’t do something similar, just on a much larger scale.
This would allow people to leave for more than one ‘excursion’.

mmascari

The pool is likely too but there aren't details. Maybe there will be an indoor pool or maybe not. I personally wouldn't feel the immersion would be ruined by an outdoor pool area, but for those that think it would because you are supposed to be in space, just skip the pool. Problem solved.

It's not the pool itself that's the issue with an outdoor pool. It's all the stuff around the pool. The pool at the poly is surrounded by a village. At the beach club, it's like going to a beach. At boardwalk, it looks like you're at a boardwalk resort. How would you make the area surrounding the pool look at a spaceship hotel? Like the void of space? Would you need to theme the outside structure of the building to look like the outside of a spaceship that's on the ground? Would you just create a pool with a concrete boarder next to a warehouse sized structure, like an outdoor municipal pool?

This makes me wonder how one would design a pool area in a real spaceship. I mean, you can't depend on sunlight so it would really just have to be lit by overhead lighting in simple or dramatic form. I guess you could have a "moonlight" pool with a view of space outside, but it could be really disorienting if "overhead" was a planet or if there was too much motion.

I conclude that you'd want a spaceship pool to be a simulation of a landside pool. So you'd have a fake blue or purple planetary sky and maybe even screens of a beach-like or other outdoor resort area.

A spaceship that's a cruise liner is just a super huge building that's flying through space. Just like an ocean going cruise ship is the size of a building that happens to float. Buildings all over have pools in them. From tiny hotel basement pools to rooftop glass enclosed pools with a view all the way to completely indoor water parks. They can make the inside of the Mexico pavilion feel like an outdoor market no matter the time of day. I'm sure they can do an indoor pool that is a wonderful experience and desired just fine. Probably even better than an outdoor pool since they'll control the entire environment.

Have you looked at the average age of those doing things like Jedi Academy? :)
The initial pitch was that you'd top your stay off with a visit to SW:GE - not that you'd come/go to SW:GE all the time. We'll see what they do.. but remember the story is you are on a space transport/voyage. To have free movement to/from the parks kind of defeats that.

It's the total time that's the concern here.

I didn't see the survey, but just like you've mentioned that they need (have but not published) a dedicated sales pitch to convey information about this, it's very hard in just a survey to convey the same type of experience and expectations. Which makes it hard to tell what the people responding were really thinking.

How long does the Jedi Academy experience actually take?
How many families can participate in the Jedi Academy in a day? (I'm assuming they max it out every day too.)

Having kids in the 10 year old range, on either side. I can tell you that:
  • A 2 hour experience, sign them up take their money. Probably want to do it twice, maybe 3 times, spread across a few days.
  • A 4 hour experience, probably still sign them up. But, they'll only want to do it once not several times, maybe a second time a few days later.
  • Most of a "day", starting after lunch and going until breakfast the next day. Maybe. Probably still want to do it. But, it's not a no brainer "take my money" scenario.
  • A "day and a little", starting after lunch and going until dinner the next day. Much harder sell. At the end of a trip they've already seen all the parks and have stuff they still want to do that they're comparing to doing this instead.
  • 2 full days, starting after lunch, the entire next day, until lunch the following day, followed by a ride to the airport and a trip home. It's a hard sell, they just don't have the same commitment to a single activity. Plus, they're starting this super fun experience on a total sad note of just ending their WDW vacation. The draw of SWGE diminished because they have no self control and already saw it as part of the initial WDW part of the vacation.

Get them on a plane and down to FL and show them the world of possibilities that is WDW with it's huge selection of bite size experiences and they're sold. Take away that multitude and replace it with 1 experience, even though it's significantly more in depth, it's a hard sell.

They just don't like doing any one thing for that many hours.

21stamps

It's not the pool itself that's the issue with an outdoor pool. It's all the stuff around the pool. The pool at the poly is surrounded by a village. At the beach club, it's like going to a beach. At boardwalk, it looks like you're at a boardwalk resort. How would you make the area surrounding the pool look at a spaceship hotel? Like the void of space? Would you need to theme the outside structure of the building to look like the outside of a spaceship that's on the ground? Would you just create a pool with a concrete boarder next to a warehouse sized structure, like an outdoor municipal pool?

A spaceship that's a cruise liner is just a super huge building that's flying through space. Just like an ocean going cruise ship is the size of a building that happens to float. Buildings all over have pools in them. From tiny hotel basement pools to rooftop glass enclosed pools with a view all the way to completely indoor water parks. They can make the inside of the Mexico pavilion feel like an outdoor market no matter the time of day. I'm sure they can do an indoor pool that is a wonderful experience and desired just fine. Probably even better than an outdoor pool since they'll control the entire environment.

It's the total time that's the concern here.

I didn't see the survey, but just like you've mentioned that they need (have but not published) a dedicated sales pitch to convey information about this, it's very hard in just a survey to convey the same type of experience and expectations. Which makes it hard to tell what the people responding were really thinking.

How long does the Jedi Academy experience actually take?
How many families can participate in the Jedi Academy in a day? (I'm assuming they max it out every day too.)

Having kids in the 10 year old range, on either side. I can tell you that:
  • A 2 hour experience, sign them up take their money. Probably want to do it twice, maybe 3 times, spread across a few days.
  • A 4 hour experience, probably still sign them up. But, they'll only want to do it once not several times, maybe a second time a few days later.
  • Most of a "day", starting after lunch and going until breakfast the next day. Maybe. Probably still want to do it. But, it's not a no brainer "take my money" scenario.
  • A "day and a little", starting after lunch and going until dinner the next day. Much harder sell. At the end of a trip they've already seen all the parks and have stuff they still want to do that they're comparing to doing this instead.
  • 2 full days, starting after lunch, the entire next day, until lunch the following day, followed by a ride to the airport and a trip home. It's a hard sell, they just don't have the same commitment to a single activity. Plus, they're starting this super fun experience on a total sad note of just ending their WDW vacation. The draw of SWGE diminished because they have no self control and already saw it as part of the initial WDW part of the vacation.

Get them on a plane and down to FL and show them the world of possibilities that is WDW with it's huge selection of bite size experiences and they're sold. Take away that multitude and replace it with 1 experience, even though it's significantly more in depth, it's a hard sell.

My 8 year old had 7 sports games 2 weekends ago.. 3 of which were on the same day, 2 at the same field.. which means we sat there for most of the day.. after driving an hour from the first field..after waking up at 5am.

I think you guys are underestimating kids.. especially when they’re doing something that they love. I’m talking 6-10 year olds as well..have any of you ever met kids 10 and under? ;). You’re describing toddlers.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Whether you're busy or not has nothing to do with being trapped.

Sure it does. It highlights the difference between being occupied with something (so you aren't looking to leave) vs wanting to leave to find the thing you want to do.

If you are busy all day with things you want to do, but don't leave the property... were you trapped? Even tho you didn't leave?

It highlights just because you don't leave... doesn't mean you are trapped. I am trying to lay the crumps for you to find... if you are excited to be in place 1... why are you so concerned about going to place 2?

If they charge thousands of dollars to be somewhere, and all people who PAID thousands of dollars can think of is LEAVING - then they catastrophically failed.

"Hi, you can pay $3000 for your family to stay here... or you can pay $400/day and just goto SW:GE as long as you like"

How on earth are you going to justify to yourself to spend all that extra money?

Sure... you want to leave? You leave and 'unplugged' so to speak.
If your shuttles can just hyper jump to wherever you need to by... why are you on the transport to start with?

flynnibus

Premium Member

Let me guess.. you've never taken them on a cruise or remote getaway?

You'd be amazed at how throughly happy people are being 'trapped on a ship' - including small children... where the things they can do are fixed for them.

I've noticed something that people who refuse to think cruising for them are oblivious to ... they don't realize Sea Days (where you are trapped on the boat) are some of the BEST DAYS OF THE CRUISE. We do 7 day cruises simply because of MORE SEA DAYS, not because of more Ports of Call.

drod1985

Sure it does. It highlights the difference between being occupied with something (so you aren't looking to leave) vs wanting to leave to find the thing you want to do.

If you are busy all day with things you want to do, but don't leave the property... were you trapped? Even tho you didn't leave?

It highlights just because you don't leave... doesn't mean you are trapped. I am trying to lay the crumps for you to find... if you are excited to be in place 1... why are you so concerned about going to place 2?

If they charge thousands of dollars to be somewhere, and all people who PAID thousands of dollars can think of is LEAVING - then they catastrophically failed.

"Hi, you can pay $3000 for your family to stay here... or you can pay $400/day and just goto SW:GE as long as you like"

How on earth are you going to justify to yourself to spend all that extra money?

First, Google defines trapped as "preventing (someone) from escaping from a place." It has nothing to do with how busy or occupied you are.

Second, the little information we have indicates that guests will be free to participate as much or as little as they'd like with the storyline of the resort. If I'm paying money for a resort experience like this then yeah, you're right, I'm going to want to take advantage of it. But if my 5 year old boy just wants to go ride the Millennium Falcon or buy a creature at the Black Spire pet shop then yeah, I'm gonna take him to do that. Guests have to be free to leave the ship and head to Batuu.

If your shuttles can just hyper jump to wherever you need to by... why are you on the transport to start with?

Why take a cruise ship to Alaska when you could just drive there (from the US)? Luxury and entertainment.

You're taking basic guest needs and turning them into faux-problems for the land that have very simple solutions.

mmascari

Let me guess.. you've never taken them on a cruise or remote getaway?

You'd be amazed at how throughly happy people are being 'trapped on a ship' - including small children... where the things they can do are fixed for them.

I've noticed something that people who refuse to think cruising for them are oblivious to ... they don't realize Sea Days (where you are trapped on the boat) are some of the BEST DAYS OF THE CRUISE. We do 7 day cruises simply because of MORE SEA DAYS, not because of more Ports of Call.

It's not the same though. While we haven't taken them on a cruise, we have looked at it. I've been on a cruise prior to kids too.

Proximity to other stuff matters here with the perception.

A cruise, say on a Disney ship, competes with going to to WDW. Or for a combined trip if you have the time. There's a significant transition to move from one segment of the trip to the other.

We can think of the spaceship cruise the same way and it can even work the exact same way. A distinct independent experience that's preceded or followed by a WDW trip.

But, the location and distance have an impact on perception. Fair or not, logical or not, it's still there. Someone is physically still located right in the middle of the entire WDW world. Beyond that, they're practically on top of DHS and SWGE, so close they can almost touch it.

A sea day on a typical cruise is a day with no other options beyond shipboard activities. Nothing else to compete with it. Different than staying on the ship for shipboard activities and skipping shore excursions when the boat is in port.

Being 100 yards from DHS, a mile to EPCOT, and 5 to the MK and choosing to ignore all of those for 24 or 48 contiguous hours is very different. It's like the boat docking at Castaway Cay and deciding the onboard entertainment is better and just skipping land. Choosing to ignore those and do something else for 4 or 8 hours. Or, for 2 hours out of every 6 over the course of a week are all very different perception issues to overcome. Many bite size consumables over a longer duration is an easier sell than one huge consumable time all done at once. Even if the total experience time ends up the same. It would actually be an easier sell if it wasn't located in the middle of WDW.

The sales video for this better be an outstanding marketing achievement.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's not the same though. While we haven't taken them on a cruise, we have looked at it. I've been on a cruise prior to kids too.

Proximity to other stuff matters here with the perception.

A cruise, say on a Disney ship, competes with going to to WDW. Or for a combined trip if you have the time. There's a significant transition to move from one segment of the trip to the other.

We can think of the spaceship cruise the same way and it can even work the exact same way. A distinct independent experience that's preceded or followed by a WDW trip.

But, the location and distance have an impact on perception. Fair or not, logical or not, it's still there. Someone is physically still located right in the middle of the entire WDW world. Beyond that, they're practically on top of DHS and SWGE, so close they can almost touch it.

A sea day on a typical cruise is a day with no other options beyond shipboard activities. Nothing else to compete with it. Different than staying on the ship for shipboard activities and skipping shore excursions when the boat is in port.

Being 100 yards from DHS, a mile to EPCOT, and 5 to the MK and choosing to ignore all of those for 24 or 48 contiguous hours is very different. It's like the boat docking at Castaway Cay and deciding the onboard entertainment is better and just skipping land. Choosing to ignore those and do something else for 4 or 8 hours. Or, for 2 hours out of every 6 over the course of a week are all very different perception issues to overcome. Many bite size consumables over a longer duration is an easier sell than one huge consumable time all done at once. Even if the total experience time ends up the same. It would actually be an easier sell if it wasn't located in the middle of WDW.

The sales video for this better be an outstanding marketing achievement.
I think it's becoming apparent that if someone doesn't get this concept, it's probably not something they'd enjoy.

21stamps

If I'm paying money for a resort experience like this then yeah, you're right, I'm going to want to take advantage of it. But if my 5 year old boy just wants to go ride the Millennium Falcon or buy a creature at the Black Spire pet shop then yeah, I'm gonna take him to do that. Guests have to be free to leave the ship and head to Batuu.

This is what some people have a problem understanding. I don’t get “value” out of a Disney vacation by spending open to close at the parks.. I don’t get “value” out of the extra $1200 I spent for an aft balcony on a cruise, above the cost of regular balcony,,by making myself and my child sit out on our balcony all day long. People don’t spend several more thousands for a suite on a cruise or at certain hotels just to sit in their suite all day.
It’s not always about milking every penny because “I paid for it”, it’s about overall enjoyment for the family/guests themselves.

Some guests will be completely happy without seeing daylight or fresh air for 2-3 nights.. most guests will want to see daylight/breathe fresh air at some point, most likely more than once.

nickys

Premium Member
I think it's becoming apparent that if someone doesn't get this concept, it's probably not something they'd enjoy.

Very true.

But equally I think there are also a lot of people who get the concept, or can if it is explained carefully, but are in a family where perhaps 3 out of the 4 are all totally psyched for it and 1 is maybe not.

Now where that 4th person is an adult, and they have at least some interest, they will likely be quite happy to stay and participate to some degree, and observe for the rest. If however, that 4th person is a child, then they are going to need some other distraction. And so the adults will need to split their time to entertain them, and that may entail leaving the ship for a ground reconnaissance mission.

Now Disney is all for making memories together. So a family that is willing to pay for the experience, even if not everyone is 100% enthusiastic, will almost certainly still be welcomed by Disney.

And be honest, which would you rather have? A little "princess" running between Mum and Dad demanding to watch Disney Jnr on her iPad in the middle of the flight deck of a mission, or Mum taking her out of the resort for a few hours to watch Disney Jnr on stage or similar?

The more I hear about this, the more enthusiastic I'm getting. But only when I understood properly what it's about. Which was not by people being snarky, or arguing over semantics, but by actual suggestions as to how it would work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom