News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Really seems like there are only 2-3 people struggling with this concept in this thread.
To be fair, I think the general public will struggle with this a little too. People hear SW Resort at WDW and they will assume it’s a place to stay while at WDW not a roll playing experience. Then again, a portion of people who visit still ask which Disney park has the Harry Potter stuff ;)

I think carving it out into a seperate category on the website outside of hotels will help. The price tag will too;)

disneyflush

Yep...just like any other Disney vacation.

Despite being told I’m wrong I still hold to the opinion that the primary demographic for this will be young adults without kids and/or old school fans of SW that are my age (40+) who break away from the family with a few buddies for a long weekend to try it. You don’t have to be upper middle class to have enough disposable income to afford a few thousand for a vacation. Like you said, you just need a CC

The "disposable" part of the phrase is what less and less people have. Plenty are willing to spend it though. Johnny's college fund will just stay at zero for one more year.

21stamps

Yep...just like any other Disney vacation.

Despite being told I’m wrong I still hold to the opinion that the primary demographic for this will be young adults without kids and/or old school fans of SW that are my age (40+) who break away from the family with a few buddies for a long weekend to try it. You don’t have to be upper middle class to have enough disposable income to afford a few thousand for a vacation. Like you said, you just need a CC

Why do you think it will be that way?

I think there will be A LOT of kids.

DisneyDaver

Interesting. I also fall into the mid-40s age bracket and am a huge Star Wars fan (with some close friends who are also big Star Wars fans). I have zero interest in going to this with my friends (and without kids), but will absolutely take my kids if they are interested when they are a few years older. My brother and one of my friends (both of whose kids are older than mine) plan on taking their kids once the hotel opens.

I think that if you are right about the primary demographic, then the project will fail long term. I think this project needs to appeal to families in order to be sustainable long term.

It sounds like it may not be the case, but I think in order to success, there needs to be an option to leave the hotel. My wife would be all for this if she could leave me and the kids at the hotel while she went to the gym/spa.

21stamps

Interesting. I also fall into the mid-40s age bracket and am a huge Star Wars fan (with some close friends who are also big Star Wars fans). I have zero interest in going to this with my friends (and without kids), but will absolutely take my kids if they are interested when they are a few years older. My brother and one of my friends (both of whose kids are older than mine) plan on taking their kids once the hotel opens.

I think that if you are right about the primary demographic, then the project will fail long term. I think this project needs to appeal to families in order to be sustainable long term.

It sounds like it may not be the case, but I think in order to success, there needs to be an option to leave the hotel. My wife would be all for this if she could leave me and the kids at the hotel while she went to the gym/spa.

I know for sure that my kid is super excited about this, as are his cousins and friends.

How many kids have SW themed bedroom right now, and an assortment of SW toys and Legos dominating their playrooms? Who have seen each one of the movies multiple times? This is a dream come true for them.. many families with a kid/Kids like that will be there, at least once. I’d expect a lot of aged 6 or 7 and up, maybe not too many toddlers..unless they have older siblings.

21stamps

Check out this older thread: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/star-wars-all-inclusive-star-ship-resort.926270/page-2 which includes screenshots of the email survey that went out Spring 2017.

It includes these planned details:
  • The opportunity to experience a 2-day story set in the Star Wars universe.
  • Be surrounded by a continuous, story-driven entertainment experience as it unfolds over the course of the 2-night stay.
  • Have personal interactions with Star Wars characters, live performers throughout the starship (experience the story or simply observe the action according to personal preference).
  • Engage in the story with programs such as flight training, ship exploration, lightsaber training, and personalized secret missions (both on the starship and throughout the Star Wars themed planet).
It also lists these amenities onboard the "ship":
  • All meals during your stay: buffet breakfasts, lunches, & signature evening dining.
  • Featured entertainment & dinner shows.
  • Exclusive park admission to the Star Wars themed land at the Walt Disney World Resort (a new land opening at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in 2019).
  • Star Wars starship amenities including pool area & water garden, fitness area, on-board cantina, and robotic droid Butlers.
In the survey, the experience was priced at roughly $900 to $1000 per guest.

Thank you..

So I’m still confused, based on what you posted, it definitely sounds like guests will leave to go to Galaxy’s Edge.. and it definitely sounds like there will be a pool and a gym.

What am I missing.. a something which would leave anyone to believe otherwise?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I think your last sentence answers your question about little kids and families with little kids. For the price you are paying if you aren't there for the role playing you aren't going there. I think older kids will be fine but not kids under 10.

I know for sure that my kid is super excited about this, as are his cousins and friends.

How many kids have SW themed bedroom right now, and an assortment of SW toys and Legos dominating their playrooms? Who have seen each one of the movies multiple times? This is a dream come true for them.. many families with a kid/Kids like that will be there, at least once. I’d expect a lot of aged 6 or 7 and up, maybe not too many toddlers..unless they have older siblings.
Kids love Star Wars but this isn't just about Star Wars. You can go to DHS and get your SW fix without dedicating several days to exclusive Star Wars role playing. You can still do meet and greets and rides and character meals without signing up for this. I think little kids love the Disney park scavenger hunt type games but would it keep their interest for days at a time? Now if they offered a SW themed hotel with some several hour one off adventures then that might appeal to smaller kids since its shorter term. This is not that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thank you..

So I’m still confused, based on what you posted, it definitely sounds like guests will leave to go to Galaxy’s Edge.. and it definitely sounds like there will be a pool and a gym.

What am I missing.. a something which would leave anyone to believe otherwise?
To be fair, I don't remember seeing anyone here say you wouldn't go to galaxy edge. That debate can be put to bed. Its not a debate since it was announced publicly. The pool is likely too but there aren't details. Maybe there will be an indoor pool or maybe not. I personally wouldn't feel the immersion would be ruined by an outdoor pool area, but for those that think it would because you are supposed to be in space, just skip the pool. Problem solved.

21stamps

I think your last sentence answers your question about little kids and families with little kids. For the price you are paying if you aren't there for the role playing you aren't going there. I think older kids will be fine but not kids under 10.

Kids love Star Wars but this isn't just about Star Wars. You can go to DHS and get your SW fix without dedicating several days to exclusive Star Wars role playing. You can still do meet and greets and rides and character meals without signing up for this. I think little kids love the Disney park scavenger hunt type games but would it keep their interest for days at a time? Now if they offered a SW themed hotel with some several hour one off adventures then that might appeal to smaller kids since its shorter term. This is not that.

I will agree to disagree here. My 6 year old (at the time) waited patiently for over an hour while in line for JTA. Not one complaint. The JTA experience was the highlight of his trip. The resort is JTA on steriods.
Kiddo’s friends come over and they play “Star Wars” running around the house with their lightsabers and blasters and all of the sounds effects, they go on missions. They know the characters and the story lines.. this resort would be their imagination coming true.
I won’t call my family and friends ‘Disney Addicts’, but pretty much everyone we know goes annually.. the kids have all talked about this resort since first hearing about it, it’s a topic of conversation between the adults at family parties and baseball games.
We’re all very excited for it, and for our children.

To be fair, I don't remember seeing anyone here say you wouldn't go to galaxy edge. That debate can be put to bed. Its not a debate since it was announced publicly. The pool is likely too but there aren't details. Maybe there will be an indoor pool or maybe not. I personally wouldn't feel the immersion would be ruined by an outdoor pool area, but for those that think it would because you are supposed to be in space, just skip the pool. Problem solved.

I saw a lot of “cruise to nowhere” type posts. I agree that at this point it’s not a debate, the two will be intertwined, and you won’t only be inside of a starship for 2 or more nights.

I do think that we’re going to have to use our imaginations a little bit, just like kids do.

21stamps

I just put some numbers on paper and I think $900-$1000/person for a 2 night / 3 day experience would be a bargain. Let's begin with just two nights of lodging at a "Deluxe". That could easily be $600/night. Based on double occupancy, $300/person per night, $600 total per person just for a place to sleep for two nights. Of course, single person price would be much more. But, if more than two can stay in a room, then the lodging costs really turn into a better value.

Now, meals... The regular dining plan has one QS, one TS, plus snacks and costs about $76 per person, per DAY. For three days, that is just under $230. But, consider that a dinner show like HDD is $72pp for good seats, and if you get two dinner shows, meals and dinner show(s) for this experience could easily exceed $400.

So, for lodging (assuming double occupancy, and only for two people) and meals we at $1000 per person for the 2 night / 3 day experience. Add in custom experiences in the hotel (aka Starship), and access to SW:GE for either a partial day (or night) at prices like MVMCP starting at over $100 per experience... the price easily could top $1200. And, that's at just basic WDW pricing.

Quite honestly, I was skeptical that this special experience would be something I would be willing to pay for. But, if the cost does stay at the $900-$1000 per guest range, I would jump on this in a heartbeat. I could even justify spending up to $1500 per person.

Sadly, if the cost does stay at this level, I can imaging the waiting list would be huge. I would expect Disney might need to increase the per person price to as much as $2000 to reduce the demand a little. Even so, reservations very far in advance would likely be necessary

Now, where do I sign up???? :happy:

I hope that Disney doesn’t do their standard “$200 Deposit” with this.. the deposit should be one night’s stay, or 50% of the total, maybe even a 60 day in advance final payment requirement, and a fee if cancelled after that.
That should help control reservations a little bit.

drod1985

I saw a lot of “cruise to nowhere” type posts. I agree that at this point it’s not a debate, the two will be intertwined, and you won’t only be inside of a starship for 2 or more nights.

I do think that we’re going to have to use our imaginations a little bit, just like kids do.

I mean it'll be pretty simple to write this into the resort story. You're boarding a cruise ship that has a stop at Batuu for some reason or the ship is attacked and has to make an emergency landing on Batuu. I think something like the latter would be more likely considering Batuu isn't supposed to be a luxurious destination. And from there an interactive story could write itself - guests have to complete both rides and various missions around GE to repair/refuel the starship and get them back home. I'm just spitballin' here, I'm sure there's a proper story and justification for almost all aspects of the land and resort in place.

flynnibus

Premium Member
To be fair, I don't remember seeing anyone here say you wouldn't go to galaxy edge. That debate can be put to bed. Its not a debate since it was announced publicly

The initial pitch was that you'd top your stay off with a visit to SW:GE - not that you'd come/go to SW:GE all the time. We'll see what they do.. but remember the story is you are on a space transport/voyage. To have free movement to/from the parks kind of defeats that.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Indeed original story was you are on a ship travelling to Batuuand during that trip you would be doing various missions etc and the end of your trip would be landing at and entering Black Spire Outpost

drod1985

The initial pitch was that you'd top your stay off with a visit to SW:GE - not that you'd come/go to SW:GE all the time. We'll see what they do.. but remember the story is you are on a space transport/voyage. To have free movement to/from the parks kind of defeats that.

There's no reason why you can't take a themed shuttle off the transport and down to Batuu. They can't trap people in the resort.

Lensman

I'm sure there will be a pool. It's a resort space cruise after all. They must have pools even on space cruise ships.

But, that's not the same as having an outdoor pool surrounded by buildings set to a theme. Maybe under a dome showing the sun, but kind of falls apart when it rains. Maybe under a dome filled with projections of the Star Wars universe. Maybe, you'll swim as the cruise ship tries to navigate through an imperial blockade or while trying to avoid a battle in space as it all plays out projected on the dome above the pool. Or, maybe all of those things at different times during the day.
This makes me wonder how one would design a pool area in a real spaceship. I mean, you can't depend on sunlight so it would really just have to be lit by overhead lighting in simple or dramatic form. I guess you could have a "moonlight" pool with a view of space outside, but it could be really disorienting if "overhead" was a planet or if there was too much motion.

I conclude that you'd want a spaceship pool to be a simulation of a landside pool. So you'd have a fake blue or purple planetary sky and maybe even screens of a beach-like or other outdoor resort area.

If this were Star Trek, I'd have the pool be on the holodeck and have it announced as "the Central Florida pool simulation program". You could do the same for running.

I will agree to disagree here. My 6 year old (at the time) waited patiently for over an hour while in line for JTA. Not one complaint. The JTA experience was the highlight of his trip. The resort is JTA on steriods.
Kiddo’s friends come over and they play “Star Wars” running around the house with their lightsabers and blasters and all of the sounds effects, they go on missions. They know the characters and the story lines.. this resort would be their imagination coming true.
I won’t call my family and friends ‘Disney Addicts’, but pretty much everyone we know goes annually.. the kids have all talked about this resort since first hearing about it, it’s a topic of conversation between the adults at family parties and baseball games.
We’re all very excited for it, and for our children.
Yeah, back when I was a kid (about 5 years ago according to my wife), I'd go crazy for this kind of thing. Imagination and suspension of disbelief was so much more powerful back then. I remember a lot of daydreaming and play-acting with my TIE fighters and lightsaber (which I think I built from paper towel rolls and cellophane). I'm not sure why I didn't have an X-Wing back then. I think the model was too hard for me to build or something.

(Y)

flynnibus

Premium Member
There's no reason why you can't take a themed shuttle off the transport and down to Batuu. They can't trap people in the resort.

If you are busy... are you trapped?
Where is this transport going if you can leave anytime and end up at the same place as if it never left?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom