Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Curious Constance

Original ideas are risky. Rebooting one of the most popular movies in the world is a slam dunk guaranteed success. I think the most overlooked fact is that Disney isn't a privately owned business anymore. It's a publicly traded conglomerate that is beholden to give investors the biggest return on their investment they can. If not, investors will go else where. The board isn't going to approve an original idea that could flop when they have this cash cow waiting to be milked. (Lol) Especially when they have the added benefit of cross promoting across mediums.

lazyboy97o

Of course I don't. I asked you to support your assertion regarding Disney's corporate business strategy for its parks with some kind of substantial reference and you replied with conjecture. That's all fine and dandy, but you can't expect me to take that kind of flimsy logic seriously.
There is no conjecture. Franchises only comes from public interviews of Iger. Under investment is there in financial reporting. History of chairmen is also public information.

Original ideas are risky. Rebooting one of the most popular movies in the world is a slam dunk guaranteed success. I think the most overlooked fact is that Disney isn't a privately owned business anymore. It's a publicly traded conglomerate that is beholden to give investors the biggest return on their investment they can. If not, investors will go else where. The board isn't going to approve an original idea that could flop when they have this cash cow waiting to be milked. (Lol) Especially when they have the added benefit of cross promoting across mediums.
A privately owned Walt Disney Productions was never in the themed entertainment business.

D

Deleted member 107043

There is no conjecture.

Either I don't know what conjecture means or you need to reread what you posted. You have not adequately supported your assertion that The Walt Disney Company and its management team believes that themed entertainment is for stupid people, beyond affirming that it's your opinion, which of course you are entitled to. Keep repeating it as many times as you want, but that alone won't make it the truth.

Curious Constance

There is no conjecture. Franchises only comes from public interviews of Iger. Under investment is there in financial reporting. History of chairmen is also public information.

A privately owned Walt Disney Productions was never in the themed entertainment business.

Doesn't change the fact that it's not the same now as it was when it was Walt's project of love. I keep hearing Disney should do this and Disney should do that. What is Disney? The investors with their eyes constantly watching waiting for any signs of weakness in the company? The board that approves or denies everything? The uber handsome Bob Iger?

lazyboy97o

Doesn't change the fact that it's not the same now as it was when it was Walt's project of love. I keep hearing Disney should do this and Disney should do that. What is Disney? The investors with their eyes constantly watching waiting for any signs of weakness in the company? The board that approves or denies everything? The uber handsome Bob Iger?
The issue of seeing themed entertainment as its own valuable medium has nothing to do with Walt Disney. Nobody would expect Disney's television channels to only air shows based on films with a certain box office or toy sales, nor would that ever be considered a reasonable mandate. Plenty of money gets wasted on films and television, but that is accepted as part of the business.

D

Deleted member 107043

Nobody would expect Disney's television channels to only air shows based on films with a certain box office or toy sales, nor would that ever be considered a reasonable mandate.

That's true, but a failed TV show can be easily canceled. You can't just close a failed theme park or 14 acre expansion and wipe the slate clean that easily. In other words, as Constance said, there's much greater risk for companies investing in theme parks, and much of that investment risk can be reduced or eliminated completely with a blockbuster franchise. Given the billions Disney is currently investing worldwide in themed entertainment I would think you'd have the opposite opinion - that the company views themed resorts as an important and lucrative part of its business.

Curious Constance

The issue of seeing themed entertainment as its own valuable medium has nothing to do with Walt Disney. Nobody would expect Disney's television channels to only air shows based on films with a certain box office or toy sales, nor would that ever be considered a reasonable mandate. Plenty of money gets wasted on films and television, but that is accepted as part of the business.
If money is wasted, or more importantly, money isn't made, those people will lose their jobs.

Californian Elitist

That didn't come from any where and didn't mean anything specific. And utter contempt was being over dramatic, but I just get the vibe from some of your comments, specifically about the "newer" people around here, that you don't appreciate me being around expressing opinions you seem to take offense to. Maybe I'm imagining it, like I said it's easy to take things the wrong way on a discussion board, but it's the feeling I get. You don't have to like me, and if you want to ignore me most times that's certainly your prerogative, I just was curious, if it's true, why?

How could I dislike anyone here? I don't even know any of you guys and gals like that. The only person I know personally on this forum is @Endor Sightseer. I know others, but they are not regulars on this forum.

Now, just because I don't necessarily dislike people here, it doesn't mean I'm not extremely annoyed by people at times. If I don't respond to a post(s), that usually means I don't see the replies because of the ignore option that I happen to use here. It's a simple as that. If someone quotes me and you see I haven't responded, it's because I wasn't notified and it's basically invisible to me. To be blatantly honest, some people annoy me to the extent where I can't tolerate their posts, and I use the ignore option. It doesn't happen often, and my list is very short, but there are people on it. I rarely post in this thread in general. At the beginning, I posted quite a few times, but it got super annoying and I stopped posting in this thread for a long time. The last time I spoke to you, before last night, had to have been months ago. This is why I'm confused as to why you feel the way you're feeling. I'm sorry you feel that way.

We have different opinions, and it can be frustrating, but I've NEVER expressed hatred or extreme dislike towards the newbies here. I've never once, since last night, told you your opinion was invalid, inferior, false, etc. I most certainly have never told you I don't appreciate your posts (didn't I like your small world comment last night?). We are having a debate, at least I thought we were. I made a comment that had no trace of specifically calling out the newbies here and their opposing view of Star Wars Land being in Disneyland, and I get a response from you out of left field saying "So what if I can live with the changes and someone else can't," leaving me seriously confused. I never called or singled you out in that comment. Before that, you tell me my opinion doesn't matter because "it's coming regardless." How do you think I felt when I read that?

Again, I don't personally know anyone here, except @Endor Sightseer (BTW, when are we hanging out?). I don't dislike anyone here. Do some of you annoy the crap out of me sometimes? Yes, indeed, and I'm not ashamed to say that, but I have respect for everyone here. I've never called anyone out of their names or expressed hatred. Everyone has different opinions, and that's fine. What would a discussion forum be without opposing views?

Another again, I'm sorry I've made you feel that way. We're going to have different opinions, and things may get heated. The next time you feel I'm disrespecting you, send me a PM and we can talk it out, like adults.

Oh, and Star Wars Land has no place in Disneyland. :D ;)

Curious Constance

How could I dislike anyone here? I don't even know any of you guys and gals like that. The only person I know personally on this forum is @Endor Sightseer. I know others, but they are not regulars on this forum.

Now, just because I don't necessarily dislike people here, it doesn't mean I'm not extremely annoyed by people at times. If I don't respond to a post(s), that usually means I don't see the replies because of the ignore option that I happen to use here. It's a simple as that. If someone quotes me and you see I haven't responded, it's because I wasn't notified and it's basically invisible to me. To be blatantly honest, some people annoy me to the extent where I can't tolerate their posts, and I use the ignore option. It doesn't happen often, and my list is very short, but there are people on it. I rarely post in this thread in general. At the beginning, I posted quite a few times, but it got super annoying and I stopped posting in this thread for a long time. The last time I spoke to you, before last night, had to have been months ago. This is why I'm confused as to why you feel the way you're feeling. I'm sorry you feel that way.

We have different opinions, and it can be frustrating, but I've NEVER expressed hatred or extreme dislike towards the newbies here. I've never once, since last night, told you your opinion was invalid, inferior, false, etc. I most certainly have never told you I don't appreciate your posts (didn't I like your small world comment last night?). We are having a debate, at least I thought we were. I made a comment that had no trace of specifically calling out the newbies here and their opposing view of Star Wars Land being in Disneyland, and I get a response from you out of left field saying "So what if I can live with the changes and someone else can't," leaving me seriously confused. I never called or singled you out in that comment. Before that, you tell me my opinion doesn't matter because "it's coming regardless." How do you think I felt when I read that?

Again, I don't personally know anyone here, except @Endor Sightseer (BTW, when are we hanging out?). I don't dislike anyone here. Do some of you annoy the crap out of me sometimes? Yes, indeed, and I'm not ashamed to say that, but I have respect for everyone here. I've never called anyone out of their names or expressed hatred. Everyone has different opinions, and that's fine. What would a discussion forum be without opposing views?

Another again, I'm sorry I've made you feel that way. We're going to have different opinions, and things may get heated. The next time you feel I'm disrespecting you, send me a PM and we can talk it out, like adults.

Oh, and Star Wars Land has no place in Disneyland. :D ;)
I appreciate the response. I'm sorry that it seemed my comments came out of left field. It was just something that had been on my mind, and I decided to put it out there. I have no idea how the blocking works, but you need to unblock me in th DLR picture thread, I've posted some masterpieces! ;)

Curious Constance

I guess you and I can talk about her posts without her knowing.
Honestly, if you're one of those Nightmare Before Christmas people, wear bad Disney Star Wars clothing or cheer when Let it Go come on during the fireworks, I hate you. Deal with it.
Click on a member's name and you'll see an ignore option. It's a godsend.
Oh, and that is how you PM someone too. I'm on feature overload after LP.

Californian Elitist

I appreciate the response. I'm sorry that it seemed my comments came out of left field. It was just something that had been on my mind, and I decided to put it out there. I have no idea how the blocking works, but you need to unblock me in th DLR picture thread, I've posted some masterpieces! ;)

I unblocked you a few days ago. :) I will check out some of your photos.

JediMasterMatt

My main concern isn't the location, although that has angered me as well. My main concern is that it doesn't ANYWHERE in the park. That's what I'm most upset about. It could have gone where Toontown is and I'd still feel the same way.

Star Wars Land doesn't need to be in Disneyland. That's a far-fetched statement. Disneyland has insanely loyal and caring fans, I don't think the absence of Star Wars Land would have sent the majority of them into outrageous fits. Star Wars Land is not the only decision they could have made. I bet if Disney were to come up with something that was both original and appropriate for the park, fans would show support, but Disney refuses to actually take time and do the work, so we end up with a land based on an IP that has nothing to do with Walt's park.

Ah, the delicate tightrope that is Disneyland and what makes it unique from the "franchise" parks around the world (especially the one in Orlando).

There are many things that keep Disneyland different from the rest. The history of it being first and foremost. The diamond gal shines, in my opinion, because there are so many people that are so passionate about her and her history and that appreciation of the road traveled is what is often lacking in many of the other franchises. It's easy to say it's Walt and his footsteps; but, that's far too narrow in my opinion. It's the collective history of all the sum of the parts along with Walt that makes the difference - whether it's Marc Davis to Tony Baxter, it's all of those that shared Walt's vision for keeping Disneyland special that continues to make it special today.

It really is the Disney(land) difference in my opinion.

The franchise parks use to be able to tap into this and my number one frustration with WDW is that more and more, it's a Disney Park in name only. Every increasingly gone or limited are the little things that separate a day at a magic kingdom from a day at any other theme park. Disney magic around every corner has yielded to rare chance encounters to now prescheduled to the minute months in advance does of Vitamin Disney in concentrated and controlled packets.

I don't feel that when I walk though Disneyland's gate. I still see and feel the touches that the Disneyland legacy established and are continuing to uphold.

Part of that Disneyland difference are the fans (not picking on you raven24; but, I'm using your comments as an example). The fans of Disneyland are now as much a part of that legacy stewardship as the Cast (and for many, fans and Cast in the local community are the same).

I think it's great for the health of Disneyland to have fans "outraged" by the invasion of Star Wars into the original Magic Kingdom. It's a very healthy discussion to have. I was there in the midst of it all on January 10th and was one of the last people out of the park that night. I talked to many that evening and there were voices both for and against the forthcoming Wookieapocalypse (anecdotally, the popular consensus has Chewie leading in this polls).

Star Wars was coming to the West Coast. It was going to go somewhere because the same fanbase that is so integral to keeping the Mouse honest on the left coast and not value cutting all of the Disney(land) differences from the place, would've also been the same group that would've been outraged if SWL only appeared in one of the franchise parks.

As I said... it's a tightrope. The balance between appeasing the traditionalist that wants the "Disneyland museum" to be created to make sure no blade of Walt's grass gets bent, the moderate fan that accepts change as long as it's in quality, and the complete poser that visits the resort to go to "Disney World" and doesn't even appreciate how special of a place it is and everything in between.

Raven24, your argument that SWL doesn't belong in Disneyland is as valid as the argument that it does. Based on what I know about some of the thoughts of those involved in the project... these discussions are similar to what took place with them. Nobody liked the slap it on Tomorrowland idea.

There is a very good reason why the Rivers of America is a bit shorter and the train tracks are rerouted. It's almost like some thought was made to keeping SWL outside of the berm and there were steps made to keep it that way.

As long as those involved in making SWL keep these types of thoughts in mind, they are doing right by me in what is keeping Disneyland different to this day.

Believe it or not, based on my screenname, I would be right there with the traditionalists if I thought something was being done to harm the sanctity of the place. Ideally, I would've loved SWL to anchor a 3rd gate; but, the time for that is not now. I've come around to the mindset of "if it was going to happen, it is happening in the best possible way".

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom