Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Sage of Time

I REALLY hope this isn't replacing anything in Disneyland. Losing ToonTown or Big Thunder Ranch wouldn't be beneficial... they're two very unique areas of the park that deserve to be kept around.

Futhermore... I really dislike ONE franchise dominating ONE land in Disneyland. The cardinal realms of Walt's Magic Kingdom are genre based and are supposed to be open ended to your interpretation and imagination. Having Star Wars Land sitting next to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland seems to awkward. I'd rather have this in DCA, to be honest. That park is already rife with thematic rifts... might as well commit to it.

Also, Hyperspace Mountain?!? Really? Gross. Cheap. Stop-gap. Just wait until the land is fully open. Don't screw around with classic WED attractions. So happy that WDW isn't doing that to our Space Mountain.

All of this said, the content really does look spectacular.

lazyboy97o

The story has nothing to do with Tomorrowland's theme. I know Disney is surely forgetting the original theme, but still, Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't fit.
For many, just sort of looking similar is being "in theme." It's how a delusion becomes futurism or a British nanny created by an Australian becomes Midwestern Americana.

Last edited:

TP2000

All of this said, the content really does look spectacular.

It certainly does! And in WDI's defense they are aiming it not at us super fans who might know what WED is/was, but instead they are aiming it at the 99.8% of Disneyland visitors who've never heard of WED but love Cars Land even though it's an entire land devoted to a single franchise.

Besides, Star Wars Land replaces Mickey's Toontown - the original land dedicated to a single franchise, Disney toons. But somehow when that franchise based land opened in 1992 no one cared about that. It's time for Toontown to go, unless you can find anyone under the age of 20 who knows who Roger Rabbit or Gadget is, much less know why they have two low capacity rides based on them.

Sage of Time

It certainly does! And in WDI's defense they are aiming it not at us super fans who might know what WED is/was, but instead they are aiming it at the 99.8% of Disneyland visitors who've never heard of WED but love Cars Land even though it's an entire land devoted to a single franchise.

Besides, Star Wars Land replaces Mickey's Toontown - the original land dedicated to a single franchise, Disney toons. But somehow when that franchise based land opened in 1992 no one cared about that. It's time for Toontown to go, unless you can find anyone under the age of 20 who knows who Roger Rabbit or Gadget is, much less know why they have two low capacity rides based on them.
I don't know if I agree with Toontown being dedicated to a franchise. You have Mickey there, you have Roger Rabbit... that's not exactly a franchise, but a genre. It's the 'cartoon' world of Disney. I think that while it is not as strong as Adventureland or Fantasyland, it still warrants inclusion.

And despite people knowing about WED or not, that does not mean that Disney should forsake design principle or thematic values.

I really hope this ends up on some of the new land that Disney has purchased. It'd still be a single land dedicated to Star Wars, but at least it would save Toontown and Big Thunder Ranch. I'd hate to not be able to pet the goats and horses again in DL. Such a calm area of a busy theme park!

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
From LA Times:
The new land is targeted to replace Disneyland’s Big Thunder Ranch and take over backstage areas currently not accessible to guests, a company spokesperson said, adding that speculation “Star Wars” would replace or impinge on Mickey's Toontown was unfounded.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...tar-wars-themed-lands-d23-20150815-story.html

Time will tell. I would of course almost always prefer adding to the park instead of replacing things.

yookeroo

The story has nothing to do with Tomorrowland's theme. I know Disney is surely forgetting the original theme, but still, Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't fit.

GotG fits as well as:
Autopia
Buzz
Nemo
Star Tours

As far as I can tell, Tomorrowland's theme is loosely sci-fi. GotG fits right in.

Californian Elitist

GotG fits as well as:
Autopia
Buzz
Nemo
Star Tours

As far as I can tell, Tomorrowland's theme is loosely sci-fi. GotG fits right in.

I'm referring to the original theme of Tomorrowland, not the hot mess that it is now. Nope of those attractions you listed fit the theme. Autopia did at one point.

TP2000

And despite people knowing about WED or not, that does not mean that Disney should forsake design principle or thematic values.

I always admire folks who know their history, and WED did some truly ground breaking work.

But let's also remember that WED (and Walt) plopped a 160 foot tall Swiss Matterhorn down in the middle of the park, where it looms over multiple lands and thematic stories that are anything but Swiss. Not to mention the eternal conundrum of how a Swiss mountain could be sitting next to a tropical lagoon with mermaids and atomic submarines going to the North Pole. I bet they had great office parties at WED in the 1950's and 60's, that's the only way to explain it!
259d77eb9757655646a847ce5c945ade.jpg

Adding rocky cliffs beyond the berm on Disneyland's northern flanks will not be an issue. It'll make more sense than many other odd thematic twists installed in the park from 1955 to 1970.

TP2000

Only Disneyland is getting it. I don't think WDW's space has the ability to have digital/technological effects put in. Could be wrong though.

Correct. Both WDW and Disneyland are getting "Seasons of the Force" this winter, but the WDW version is going into DHS. The two versions are similar and will both feature the new Launch Bay, except Disneyland's is in Tomorrowland and gets Hyperspace Mountain and DHS gets a Star Wars fireworks show behind the Chinese Theater.

Sage of Time

They didn't say it in the presentation, but the Disneyland today twitter feed confirmed the location:

https://twitter.com/DisneylandToday/status/632769115116187648

"It's going to be in the Big Thunder Ranch area, inclusive of some backstage areas."

!!!! WOW. Good news for Toontown, but I am still upset about the loss of the goats.

And DL isn't??

I read somewhere today that WDW is getting a version of the overlay too.
Not to the degree that DCA is, to be sure. Disneyland has thematic problems, but why make them worse??
I always admire folks who know their history, and WED did some truly ground breaking work.

But let's also remember that WED (and Walt) plopped a 160 foot tall Swiss Matterhorn down in the middle of the park, where it looms over multiple lands and thematic stories that are anything but Swiss. Not to mention the eternal conundrum of how a Swiss mountain could be sitting next to a tropical lagoon with mermaids and atomic submarines going to the North Pole. I bet they had great office parties at WED in the 1950's and 60's, that's the only way to explain it!
259d77eb9757655646a847ce5c945ade.jpg

Adding rocky cliffs beyond the berm on Disneyland's northern flanks will not be an issue. It'll make more sense than many other odd thematic twists installed in the park from 1955 to 1970.
I don't understand why you are bringing aesthetics into this when I have not mentioned them. I really don't mind the Matterhorn looming over DL, much as I don't mind Cinderella Castle looming over the Magic Kingdom. Although cogent themed design would block out most visual intrusions, sometimes you can't help it. Disney's "can't help it" moments, however, usually provide a interesting and unique vista that become iconic, for Disney. See: Castle on Main Street. Matterhorn looming over TL and Subs. Spaceship Earth over World Showcase. Tree of Life from... Anywhere. Star Wars aesthetic interacting with other parts of Disneyland will not be an issue... but the thematics will. One universe competing with lands that are made of several universes and genres. THAT'S what I am getting at. Your point about the aesthetics is well made, but not tailored to the concern I was voicing. :) Adventureland... Tomorrowland... Fantasyland... STAR WARS LAND all sitting next to each other makes it obvious that one of those entities is vastly different and a departure from thematic form.

D

Deleted member 107043

Not to the degree that DCA is, to be sure.

I disagree. Tomorrowland is, in my opion, the resort's top offender when it comes to story cohesion (don't even get me started on Critter Country). What's TL supposed to be? The future? The past? Sci-fi? The present? I don't think anybody knows for certain, including Disney.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
There are plenty of young people, like myself, who know who both Roger Rabbit and Gadget Hackwrench are and very much enjoy that there is at least something in the park featuring them. Having low capacity rides is still better than nothing when it comes to specific characters that are rarely seen anymore.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
For some reason I woke up today thinking of the new Star Wars land. I'm pretty excited for the Star Wars land in both WDW and DL. But as I thought more about it I am hoping that they make the two lands slightly different in the two parks. I'm pretty sure they will basically clones of each other, but wouldn't it be nice if they had slightly different themes and attractions and were complimentary to each other in a story line? I think it would give people a reason to visit both lands. But like I said they will probably be clones of each other, but until until more precise plans are announced I'll still have hope.

Sage of Time

I disagree. Tomorrowland is, in my opion, the resort's top offender when it comes to story cohesion (don't even get me started on Critter Country). What's TL supposed to be? The future? The past? Sci-fi? The present? I don't think anybody knows for certain, including Disney.
That's fair, but at least it's still an amalgam of stories and not just one big one. THAT bothers me in the extreme about Star Wars Land AND Carsland AND Bugsland. It's so nearsighted.

Californian Elitist

From LA Times:
The new land is targeted to replace Disneyland’s Big Thunder Ranch and take over backstage areas currently not accessible to guests, a company spokesperson said, adding that speculation “Star Wars” would replace or impinge on Mickey's Toontown was unfounded.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...tar-wars-themed-lands-d23-20150815-story.html

Time will tell. I would of course almost always prefer adding to the park instead of replacing things.

It would be nice if Toontown gets to stay, but if it does stay, they need to shut it down for a couple of months and fix it up. It needs a serious paint job and a lot the seating for the chairs needs to be replaced. Would be nice if Disney got the trolley working and expanded Toontown.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom