Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

No Name

The RVs already move in a different pattern in (official) B-mode no? They move forward, backwards, then forward again as they proceed to Kylo's last encounter.
Oh okay, I haven’t been on it since it was broken and didn’t gather that from the YouTube video I watched. I’m not sure story-wise why it would move backwards though… I know they’re trying to kill time but I feel like there’s a better way to do it.

gerarar

Premium Member
Oh okay, I haven’t been on it since it was broken and didn’t gather that from the YouTube video I watched. I’m not sure story-wise why it would move backwards though… I know they’re trying to kill time but I feel like there’s a better way to do it.
Well it kinda makes sense; the cannons are still firing at the Resistance ships (even if they don't recoil physically), so R4 is trying to dodge the fire by scooting forward, backwards, and forward again.

But yeah, I wish there was more to it. Maybe some more physical props that don't require the cannons movement.

TikibirdLand

Well it kinda makes sense; the cannons are still firing at the Resistance ships (even if they don't recoil physically), so R4 is trying to dodge the fire by scooting forward, backwards, and forward again.

But yeah, I wish there was more to it. Maybe some more physical props that don't require the cannons movement.
Really? How hard is it to make a "cannon" recoil. So many different, reliable, ways to do it. It's not hard. It's just lazy.

gerarar

Premium Member
Really? How hard is it to make a "cannon" recoil. So many different, reliable, ways to do it. It's not hard. It's just lazy.
Well insiders have already stated that it's on a track. Idk how else you'll do it.

What I fear is that the RV's needs to be reprogrammed in conjunction with the cannon's timing it crosses the RV's path, which could only be done with extended downtime. Doubt it's a hardware issue since they obviously can still move, but just cause random E-stops.

No Name

The cannons are well above head-level though, right?

The cannons are turned off because of programming issues syncing with the ride vehicles in a safe manner (or something in that arena). It’s not like they’re physically broken.

Rob562

Well insiders have already stated that it's on a track. Idk how else you'll do it.

What I fear is that the RV's needs to be reprogrammed in conjunction with the cannon's timing it crosses the RV's path, which could only be done with extended downtime. Doubt it's a hardware issue since they obviously can still move, but just cause random E-stops.

I think the problem was that the timing had to be spot on between all three cannons and the two vehicles so that neither the sensors on the cannons or the sensors on the cars registered an incursion and shut something down.

I wonder if removing the middle cannon would help. Allow enough space for both ride vehicles to park and not be as in the way of the cannons as they could be now, give them some "breathing room" as it were. Both cannons are extended as the vehicles enter the scene. The first one fires and retreats, then the last one at the far end. As the vehicles start to roll past the first one, the last one rolls forward again, vehicle stop, it fires and rolls back out of the way.

And if the cannons aren't going to move at all, maybe they could add some oomph to the scene by adding vents in the ceiling that poof out a big but quick blast of air in sync with the firing of the cannons.

-Rob

TikibirdLand

I think the problem was that the timing had to be spot on between all three cannons and the two vehicles so that neither the sensors on the cannons or the sensors on the cars registered an incursion and shut something down.

I wonder if removing the middle cannon would help. Allow enough space for both ride vehicles to park and not be as in the way of the cannons as they could be now, give them some "breathing room" as it were. Both cannons are extended as the vehicles enter the scene. The first one fires and retreats, then the last one at the far end. As the vehicles start to roll past the first one, the last one rolls forward again, vehicle stop, it fires and rolls back out of the way.

And if the cannons aren't going to move at all, maybe they could add some oomph to the scene by adding vents in the ceiling that poof out a big but quick blast of air in sync with the firing of the cannons.

-Rob
Old school would have installed infrared sensors that identify the location of the vehicle and cut the power on the RV while the canon moves. In a computer controlled setup, the same sensor could be used to coordinate RVs and canons. This is a super simple action that can even be handled by traditional PLCs.

mysto

Yea, they could easily hire me to pull a rope to move the thing.

But in a world where robots build cars because it's cheaper than people, surely there's a machine somewhere that can pull the rope cheaper than me?

But not quite as cheap as ignoring it. Yea lazy.

No Name

Yea, they could easily hire me to pull a rope to move the thing.

But in a world where robots build cars because it's cheaper than people, surely there's a machine somewhere that can pull the rope cheaper than me?

But not quite as cheap as ignoring it. Yea lazy.
It’s a timing issue, not a mechanical one. Not sure why this is even still in the conversation.

Old school would have installed infrared sensors that identify the location of the vehicle and cut the power on the RV while the canon moves.
Only people who went to no school would use a dangerous and disastrous hacky solution like this. Not only does that put the second vehicle in a completely unknown position and risk a crash of some sort, the entire pacing of the ride is thrown off and every other vehicle needs to be delayed because the simulator can’t return to the top in time, scenes won’t reset in time, etc. That’s why the e-stops happen.

TikibirdLand

It’s a timing issue, not a mechanical one. Not sure why this is even still in the conversation.

Only people who went to no school would use a dangerous and disastrous hacky solution like this. Not only does that put the second vehicle in a completely unknown position and risk a crash of some sort, the entire pacing of the ride is thrown off and every other vehicle needs to be delayed because the simulator can’t return to the top in time, scenes won’t reset in time, etc. That’s why the e-stops happen.
This isn't the first a show effect needed to be coordinated with vehicle movement. No, the sensor knows the EXACT position of the vehicle. This method is used in packaging systems daily today. And, it works. The problem is the overly complicated vehicle system. If this thing was wire-guided, it wouldn't be a problem.

Rob562

This isn't the first a show effect needed to be coordinated with vehicle movement. No, the sensor knows the EXACT position of the vehicle. This method is used in packaging systems daily today. And, it works. The problem is the overly complicated vehicle system. If this thing was wire-guided, it wouldn't be a problem.

Are there wire-guided ride vehicles that move as fast as the RotR vehicles do? All of the ones that come to mind are slow.

-Rob

No Name

Packaging systems aren’t trying to present show scenes to boxes with humans inside them, it’s so completely different. You’re missing the point on how it’s dangerous for the vehicles. And with a wire-guided system you’d still have the exact same timing problem.

TikibirdLand

Packaging systems aren’t trying to present show scenes to boxes with humans inside them, it’s so completely different. You’re missing the point on how it’s dangerous for the vehicles. And with a wire-guided system you’d still have the exact same timing problem.
I'm well aware of the timing of show scenes. The Amazon example is exactly the same. Things have to arrive at a particular time -- without fail. Items have to be returned on time -- without fail. Here, we're working with humans. But the same issues apply. And, so can the solutions.

Rockishcoco

Woof just got off Rise and man they should really be embarrassed by the state it’s in.
-Kylo not working for months
-Probe Droid not moving
-Cannons seemingly permanently broken
Even the screen for the first stormtroopers on ride was broken today.

I understand operationally some of these things are infeasible to fix without lengthy downtime. One broken effect shouldn’t shut down the marquee attraction of the park. But when your finale is broken, when something as simple as a droid on a stick is inoperable, I think you’ve really made a mistake. Rise is a stunning ride worthy of praise. I really wish Disney was committed to maintaining its dignity.

Dapale

Rise is a stunning ride worthy of praise. I really wish Disney was committed to maintaining its dignity.
I'm not exactly sure what is going on but Disneyland's Rise has nearly everything still 100% working. The only consistent obvious issue with DL's is of course the cannons (which are in B mode where the first one moves but the second two don't). Not sure exactly why this is happening. Is DL maintaining higher show maintenance standards?

MagicHappens1971

Woof just got off Rise and man they should really be embarrassed by the state it’s in.
-Kylo not working for months
-Probe Droid not moving
-Cannons seemingly permanently broken
Even the screen for the first stormtroopers on ride was broken today.

I understand operationally some of these things are infeasible to fix without lengthy downtime. One broken effect shouldn’t shut down the marquee attraction of the park. But when your finale is broken, when something as simple as a droid on a stick is inoperable, I think you’ve really made a mistake. Rise is a stunning ride worthy of praise. I really wish Disney was committed to maintaining its dignity.
Aside from the cannons, the other issues do work from time to time. This ride still needs serious downtime but, I can't see that happening for another 1-2 years. Kylo goes back and forth. He was working on my trip about 2 and a half weeks ago.

MagicHappens1971

The only consistent obvious issue with DL's is of course the cannons (which are in B mode where the first one moves but the second two don't).
To me this doesn't make any sense because if you can get the one to move consistently, why not the other two? I'm no engineer so maybe its more complicated than I would think but

Dapale

To me this doesn't make any sense because if you can get the one to move consistently, why not the other two? I'm no engineer so maybe its more complicated than I would think but
There's been quite a lot of debate on the past few pages about it. I'm not really going to add to it because people have pretty much said everything there is to it :p

Summary from previous posts (observations, not necessarily fact):
- The first cannon isn't a problem because it doesn't rely on the full syncing of the ride system to function ("just stop firing when the vehicles want to start moving in the scene" (not really, but this is the easiest explanation, lol))
- It's not the physical moving of the cannons which are the problem, it's the syncing of the trackless system and the cannon's system
- There doesn't seem to be enough space between the cannons (enough wiggle room) for the sensors. It only takes a small offset in the vehicles to cause faults/estops

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom