News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance to begin Standby September 23rd

ToTBellHop

I’ve been a member here a couple of years but don’t post. However, I must ask why none of the experts or insiders here predicted this move? Was it that top secret or what and why? If I missed a prediction, please point it out to me. Hate being blindsided like this when I have a trip coming up. Thank you!
It was rather last minute. They just put up a “Virtual” sign over what will now be Standby…

MrPromey

... Not to mention, when they're doing boarding groups, people just go wait in other queues, see a show, eat lunch, or leave entirely if they don't get a group - especially after the afternoon groups fill up. It's kind of amazing how many people walk out after they fill up for the day. Some leave completely while others work their way to another park, which pretty conveniently, park hopping starts at 2pm...
And the problem with this is that when there is limited attraction capacity, that means people are essentially in two lines at once which is convenient for those people but when they don't have enough to keep all those people busy, becomes a problem for Disney.

Last edited:

MrPromey

This is very scary.
It remains to be seen how this shakes out but the problem in the past with the most popular attractions is that the majority of capacity went to fastpass so if you didn't manage to get those at the 60 day mark, you were out of luck.

In the MK, it is hard to imagine that Space Mountain will see huge sales of their priority LL so I am guessing that the regular line will move faster than the standby line did but for something like Rise which most people still haven't done and which, doing the math, not everyone who wants to on a given day will be able to do, I see a much stronger incentive for people to buy their way to the front.

If they can keep that going, the line will likely move at a snail's pace until demand drops enough that people don't feel like they have to pay to ensure they get a chance to ride but with nothing else new on the horizon for Hollywood Studios, we're probably at least half a decade from that being likely.

GimpYancIent

It remains to be seen how this shakes out but the problem in the past with the most popular attractions is that the majority of capacity went to fastpass so if you didn't manage to get those at the 60 day mark, you were out of luck.

In the MK, it is hard to imagine that Space Mountain will see huge sales of their priority LL so I am guessing that the regular line will move faster than the standby line did but for something like Rise which most people still haven't done and which, doing the math, not everyone who wants to on a given day will be able to do, I see a much stronger incentive for people to buy their way to the front.

If they can keep that going, the line will likely move at a snail's pace until demand drops enough that people don't feel like they have to pay to ensure they get a chance to ride but with nothing else new on the horizon for Hollywood Studios, we're probably at least half a decade from that being likely.
I don't know, it is very interesting how much focus there is on RoTR and SR has faded off the radar.

SpectroMagician

They want long lines so they can justify charging $20 a head to skip the line.

BRING BACK FASTPASS+. Just increase the ticket price a few dollars to cover inflation, don't make multiple classes of guests.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
And I think they also need 3-5 hour in-person waits for top attractions to create value for Lighting Lane.

... and with enough demand for the upsold Lightning Lane, they'll also chew enough capacity to ensure those lines stay long from open to close. Thus, creating a virtuous circle as often as possible - at least from Disney's perspective.
Except that's not how Lightning Lane is designed. The whole point is that they can raise the price to maintain equilibrium. If loads of people are buying IAS, it's going to tell Disney that IAS is too cheap and they'll make it more expensive. They'd rather have 5,000 people paying $10 each than 10,000 people paying $5 each because it maintains guest satisfaction for the standby people.

pixarprincess

Except that's not how Lightning Lane is designed. The whole point is that they can raise the price to maintain equilibrium. If loads of people are buying IAS, it's going to tell Disney that IAS is too cheap and they'll make it more expensive. They'd rather have 5,000 people paying $10 each than 10,000 people paying $5 each because it maintains guest satisfaction for the standby people.
If the rumored cap is true then it won't work. They're going to need a super high cap to make this viable. And will they be able to scale/adjust in live time at 7 am when it's milliseconds between 200 people buying a slot? There are technical considerations here I just don't see them being adept enough to solve.

MrPromey

Well, yeah... but from the the information released so far, they have a hard top limit. Like they won't be selling Rise LL for $200 a pop... so either people don't want to pay and there ends up not being a problem, demand slams into that top limit and it fills up or... people end up paying more to do this ride than they did to get into the park, potentially.

They'd get raked if that third thing were to happen, don't you think? The plebs in line won't be happy if it's only $25 to ride and Disney allots 70, 80, 90, 95% of capacity to ensuring that LL continues to run as smoothly as possible but would that be a problem for Disney?

They're still making money and because they can hold those percentages close to the vest, it doesn't have to look like a money play.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If the rumored cap is true then it won't work. They're going to need a super high cap to make this viable. And will they be able to scale/adjust in live time at 7 am when it's milliseconds between 200 people buying a slot? There are technical considerations here I just don't see them being adept enough to solve.
Most indications say they'll adjust pricing day to day, but not in real time within the day.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Well, yeah... but from the the information released so far, they have a hard top limit. Like they won't be selling Rise LL for $200 a pop... so either people don't want to pay and there ends up not being a problem, demand slams into that top limit and it fills up or... people end up paying more to do this ride than they did to get into the park, potentially.

They'd get raked if that third thing were to happen, don't you think? The plebs in line won't be happy if it's only $25 to ride and Disney allots 70, 80, 90, 95% of capacity to ensuring that LL continues to run as smoothly as possible but would that be a problem for Disney?

They're still making money and because they can hold those percentages close to the vest, it doesn't have to look like a money play.
Why are you so confident that there's a price cap but not a volume cap?

ToTBellHop

I’ll be curious to see the LL composition here. If they set aside 2/3 of capacity for that with hour-long windows, they risk very long LL queues, especially with breakdowns, which are frequent. We used to see this on Test Track with FP+. I guess that was fine when it was free. But, people will demand refunds now. So I am struggling to imagine them selling that many LL reservations, but we will see. It is far safer to set it at 25% or so, which generally ensures a short LL line and if there is a momentary glut, which will happen, they can quickly get those LL guests on the ride.

VJ

I’ve been a member here a couple of years but don’t post. However, I must ask why none of the experts or insiders here predicted this move? Was it that top secret or what and why? If I missed a prediction, please point it out to me. Hate being blindsided like this when I have a trip coming up. Thank you!
@marni1971 was keeping us as "in the know" as he could about Genie/Genie+/paid Fastpass before it was officially announced

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom