News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance to begin Standby September 23rd

TrainsOfDisney

Maybe, but anyone who wants to is welcome to leave their phone in the room and hit the standby lines if they'd rather.
Not an idea I'd recommend, but it's there
The reason you wouldn't recommend it is the problem though.

If mobile order is really just an added convenience for people who want to use it, great!

But if Disney starts eliminating cashiers and “encouraging” (some would say forcing) guests to use mobile order now it’s not a convenience imho.

Same with fastpass. I liked the maxpass system at Disneyland. If you wanted to pay extra for the convenience of booking fastpass from your phone, great. But you didn’t get access to any special fastpass. As long as you were willing to walk across the parks to the physical kiosk the same fp was available to everyone.

Disstevefan1

Right, I get that. I was just saying if people want to see what the REAL wait times are and not the potentially inflated wait times displayed at each attraction, they have that ability.

What I've seen a lot of is people thinking YOU WILL get to ride every single ride by skipping the line when you purchase G+. But even if you buy G+ there is no guarantee that you'll get on all the rides. Some rides could "sell out" before you have a chance to book it (like FP did when rides ran out of tickets) People seem to think G+ guarantees a ride on everything but that's just not true.
Totally agree. I have been in the parks where folks who are new to WDW are in the park have NO IDEA about fast pass and get into the fastpass line thinking , "oh look there is a short line, let's get in that one."

One thing folks need to know G+ will exclude the most popular rides.
This is not confirmed, but I heard standy lines will be "cut off" if they get too long, not allowing folks to wait in a standy.

In some cases the pay per ride may be the only way to ride an attraction if you really want to ride.

Let's see what happens..

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Totally agree. I have been in the parks where folks who are new to WDW are in the park have NO IDEA about fast pass and get into the fastpass line thinking , "oh look there is a short line, let's get in that one."

One thing folks need to know G+ will exclude the most popular rides.
This is not confirmed, but I heard standy lines will be "cut off" if they get too long, not allowing folks to wait in a standy.

In some cases the pay per ride may be the only way to ride an attraction if you really want to ride.

Lest see what happens..
You know…if they cut off the headliner lines…which is likely to happen in the next, non-plague boom period - because they just don’t have the capacity - the case could be made to file a class action suit against them on the base tickets…

Disstevefan1

You know…if they cut off the headliner lines…which is likely to happen in the next, non-plague boom period - because they just don’t have the capacity - the case could be made to file a class action suit against them on the base tickets…
Disney lawyers are powerful, scary and rarely lose...

Disstevefan1

They also have had the Florida courts bought since 1964…

…my point was that you can make a case…arguing what the ticket actually includes?

…not that Disney’s in any danger in any way.

bad publicity though…hypothetically
True, just bringing the lawsuit looks bad for Disney.
Hopefully that's enough of an incentive to do the right thing for their guests.

MickeyLuv'r

The parks aren’t luxurious. There’s nothing luxurious about walking 8 miles in the Florida heat around a bunch of other sweaty people.

If I wanna do something luxurious, I’ll do something all inclusive like a cruise where someone brings me drinks.
If you are one of the special people though, you don't walk around the parks like most people do.

I am guessing though that many folks posting here have never seen the high end options at WDW, or how those with extra funds get extra benefits.

I also suspect a number of posters aren't considering the convention and wedding options that WDW offers. WDW does indeed offer upscale options for those with enough funds, but again, they often happen out of sight of most guests. If you have enough money, your event can have very luxurious floral arrangements, cakes/desserts, and food options. The pastry chefs at WDW are highly talented.

"Luxurious' is always subjective, but well, one of the options is a ride in Cinderella's carriage drawn by six white horses in full tack, with coachmen dressed in all in white, complete with white wigs. Another option is a private fireworks display, so that your wedding photos have fireworks bursting in the background.

You want fog? You want your guests to be served dessert from a Cinderella slipper shaped ice sculpture? You arrival announced by herald trumpets? Your company logo sculpted in chocolate as a welcome display?

At AKL, the Royal Asante suite is pretty upscale, just to name one of the higher end WDW rooms:
- It is more than 2,115 square feet
- the dining room table was made from a single tree trunk and seats 8 with faux zebra-upholstered chairs.
- its circular living room is entirely surrounded by a balcony, decorated with African textiles and artwork, rock fireplace, and hand-carved furniture
- master bedroom king bed composed of tree trunks. It is so large, it was built within the room.
- adjoining bath has a freestanding soaking tub, double sinks, vanity, shower, mini TV, and separate commode and bidet area.
- second bedroom is a standard size with two queen beds.
- You’ll also find a half bath with a river rock vanity and raised basin
- an office featuring a grasscloth and copper-clad desk
- a treadmill on the balcony
- plus a service kitchen with a full-size refrigerator, wet bar, microwave, and separate entry
(so if you don't want to dine at Jiko, Jiko can come to you.)

My description above doesn't quite to it justice, but the parent WDWMagic webpage of this forum has photos of it.

MickeyLuv'r

I absolutely loved FP+ because it worked beautifully with the way my family vacations. But I understand that the system did not work well for others and had to change. I
"had to change" is perhaps a bit of a too strong wording, IMO.

WDW is continuously exploring (more) ways to make more $.

They decided LL and Genie+ were options they wanted to develop.

Touring Plans has been around for a number of years. People happily paid for TP. Part of WDW's decision is to bring the concept in-house, and why wouldn't WDW?

Chi84

Premium Member
The attractions aren’t advertised as extra charge. There may be a legal opening where they allow so many “standby” each day and then it is closed at standby capacity. That’s a really sneaky way of doing it though.
I would imagine that if they ever decide to completely exclude the headliners from the park ticket price the terms and conditions or advertising would reflect that change. I doubt that will happen.

Disone

Its not a good thing, its a continuation of the money grab..............stop letting people on for free via BG, buildup huge wait time's and then sell them the exclusivity of skipping the line
Half disagree. It is a money grab. But it is also a good thing.

I find it extremely disappointing that the Marquee attraction of the Walt Disney World Resort oh, something you mark it to entice someone to make a visit from far away to Walt Disney World, is not even a guarantee. Come to Walt Disney World and ride our newest attraction..... Nope!!!

Scratch that come to Walt Disney World to have a "chance" to ride our new attraction with a time window that last less than seven seconds at 7 a.m. on the DOT each morning... Well each morning that you have a reservation for this park.

At least with this latest development guests will once again have the opportunity to either stand in line or skip it. Now ultimately the decision is on the guest and not on Lady Luck.

Yes, a four-hour que line stretching through the park is bad publicity but is it? If so it is one of those bad publicity things that's actually good publicity. Think about it. It didn't do any damage to Universal when Hagrid's was constantly stretching beyond that through the park.

Hours long queue line does make people go "that's ridiculous" and even they should have a FastPass or virtual queue :)" but they also create Buzz around the attraction, and as you probably guessed correctly, will sell more lightning Lanes passes.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On what legal theory?

I agree it’s a problem; I just don’t think it’s a legal issue.
Breach of contract…

its far flung…but there have been cases in the past where people have claimed that buying a ticket forms a legal contract…and therefore can sue the operator for “breaching” that contract.

I’m not saying it’s a good case…but the case could be made if there is zero opportunity to ride a ride under the base “ride ticket”…which is what a daily ticket is. It’s not a concrete ticket…not the $209 you paid to “experience” boo bash (what’s your countdown clock down?)…

also…concert venues have been sued when start times changed or the artists get sick and cancel.

it’s a very easy world to live in if you have 300 law schools (and you need no more than 50)
‘Merica 🇺🇸

Frank the Tank

Half disagree. It is a money grab. But it is also a good thing.

I find it extremely disappointing that the Marquee attraction of the Walt Disney World Resort oh, something you mark it to entice someone to make a visit from far away to Walt Disney World, is not even a guarantee. Come to Walt Disney World and ride our newest attraction..... Nope!!!

Scratch that come to Walt Disney World to have a "chance" to ride our new attraction with a time window that last less than seven seconds at 7 a.m. on the DOT each morning... Well each morning that you have a reservation for this park.

At least with this latest development guess will once again have the opportunity to either stand in line or don't stand in line. Now ultimately the decision lies on the guest and not on Lady Luck. And honestly yes a four-hour q line stretching to the park is bad publicity but is it? It's one of those bad publicity that's actually good publicity. Think about it. It didn't do any damage to Universal when Hagrid's was constantly stretching to the park for that length of time.

4 hour plus queue line does make people go "that's ridiculous" and even they should have a FastPass or virtual queue :)" but 4 hour + ques also create Buzz around the attraction, and as you probably guessed correctly, will sell more lightning Lanes passes.
Yes, this is it.

Do I like having to pay for LL for RotR or any other marquee ride? No.

However, when our family is spending five figures on a weeklong trip to Orlando (as is the case with us for Spring Break 2022) and we're all huge Star Wars fans, the thought that we could actually *not* go on RotR if we had a WiFi glitch in our hotel at 7 am was honestly giving me anxiety. The LL announcement and now this standby option legitimately gives me relief compared to the VQ system. Going on that specific ride is our highest priority by far, so if it means shelling out money for IAS, then we'll do it (and if those are sold out and we have to wait in line, then we at least have that option).

With WDW having so many infrequent out-of-town visitors coming from afar, I believe that a lot of posters here are discounting the psychology of the sunk cost and, whether right or wrong, Disney is banking on that (and will make bank on it). That is, once you've paid a ton of money for plane tickets, hotels and park tickets, are you really going to not pay an extra few dollars to make sure that you get on the best rides? There's probably no place in the world where the phrase "Time is Money" applies better than WDW, so paying extra in exchange for saving time is a rational trade-off for the huge swath of WDW visitors that don't visit frequently.

Sure, the WDW visitors that visit multiple times a year or are local (e.g. my sister that lives 10 minutes away from the Magic Kingdom) have the luxury of time and flexibility to pick and choose various dates to visit where they can avoid those charges. However, that's simply not most WDW visitors: time is the most precious resource for them. Most people have one specific day where they can visit DHS and that's it - they *have* to ride RotR on that particular day or it's not happening.

Like I've said - I don't like paying those charges. Yet, I completely understand why Disney is doing this because they know there are simply a lot of people like me where the psychological cost of *not* doing a ride after having spent so much money to get to WDW in the first place actually outweighs whatever additional IAS charge might be out there. For better or worse, the demand for IAS is going to be there in spades (much less G+, which will likely just be automatically be bought by the vast majority of WDW guests on any given day).

MickeyLuv'r

Yes, a four-hour que line stretching through the park is bad publicity but is it? If so it is one of those bad publicity things that's actually good publicity. Think about it. It didn't do any damage to Universal when Hagrid's was constantly stretching beyond that through the park.

Hours long queue line does make people go "that's ridiculous" and even they should have a FastPass or virtual queue :)" but they also create Buzz around the attraction, and as you probably guessed correctly, will sell more lightning Lanes passes.
I go back to the example of Frozen's first year (or thereabouts, it opened in late fall, but really took off in the last week of December).

Once it started taking off, the merchandise and costumes were sold-out for months. As soon as any dresses/dolls/toys arrived, they sold out. In Epcot the line to meet the Frozen sisters was 4+ hours long every day until they were moved to MK, with more capacity.

Little girls happily waited to meet them, and it generated a great deal of buzz. Though perhaps WDW also lost some revenue from all the people that would have bought Frozen merchandise if they could've found it.

I am currently wondering how much WDW is currently losing out on princess costume sales with the princess greets and princess dining options closed at 1900 PF, Trattoria Al Forno, Princess Tea (GF), and Akershus. I think CRT is open minus princesses)

YIKES! CRT doesn't currently have any princesses, but it will still cost you $62 per adult to eat there! WDW cut the experience, but not the price!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom