News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Magic Feather

Hey y’all, I need to ask a bit of a favor.

I have been on the Disney Fantasy for the past week and thus I have been unable to keep updated with this thread.

Here is my primary issue: half my party has to leave the park by 4:00 at the latest in order to catch their flights.

I am not a fan of people’s who questions which are very easily found earlier in thread so I apologize in advance advance.

Essentially all I need to know is the ideal time to leave the Shades of Green resort in order to avoid the marathon slowdown and to get into an early enough boarding group to ride beforehand 4:00. Thanks so much!

Also, anyone know where @Magic Feather profile picture is from? I have been looking for it.
I would aim to be to DHS by 6:30. Ideally by ridesgare, but leaving at 5:30-45 should be safe. (And I took the photo myself)

Kamikaze

This is probably one of those instances where it’s important to make a distinction between “best attraction” and “favorite attraction.” Because while a ride like RotR might be technically superior to every other attraction, that doesn’t mean it’s going to be my new favorite. And whenever I get the chance to ride it, I don’t think it will become my favorite. But you never know.

Form your opinion after you ride it, not before. This is why I avoid all spoilers on new attractions (especially the SW:GE ones, but all of them). I don't want my opinion to be based on other peoples viewpoints - which is what you get in a thread like this.

butterxcup

Rode it and dad really liked it without knowing anything about Star Wars!
Found out why the ride went down too, final Kylo wasn’t working so got B mode for that part of the ride! A mode is better in my opinion (B mode was a bit...weird? Not bad just strange) but B mode is good enough to keep the ride going and no one in my vehicle seemed to question it.
So dad got his first ride in finally and I got a first experience as well!

disneyREINA

Recent experience here (Tuesday, 1/7/20). Those steps nailed it.
- Park opened at 7a
- we got there around 7:40-7:45a
- got boarding group 144 (not good, backup group)
- went to another park but followed the progress on MDE about every 30 minutes
- group got called at 4:20p (we were very lucky, they didn't get near 144 any other day we were there)
- went on an amazing attraction!

What do you mean you got a “backup group”
does that mean your group might not have been called? If you were in the park by the time it opened how is it you could havehad a chance of not riding?
are there just mobs of people running to the ride at precisely 8am? You just happened to be behind a ton of people ? I’m lost! I feel if you are arriving at 730 there would be no way NOT to get a boarding Group

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A bit above average today.

1578792709267.png

dreamfinder912

Interesting take. Falcon gets seemingly worse for me every time, especially if I don’t know my whole shuttle. Somehow every group I’m with act like they have no idea what’s going on.

Objectively, ROTR does indeed blow every other attraction in WDW away when it comes to theme, story, and overall experience.

I need to find another 4 people now for MFSR I just get so irritated with people now :hilarious: I want to put together a dream team of 6 bigass nerds who want to do well on the ride not just sit in awe...(which i understand when it's your first time, but since it isn't mine I'd rather be with a batch of experienced smugglers rather than sit there concentrating on not yelling at the 4 year old pilot who WONT LINE UP WITH THE TRAIN)

ROTR...spoilers...when the resistance comes to rescue you..oohhh I about died. I was no longer in a super cool pre-show area with first order people I totally wanted to mess with...I was 100% being rescued by the resistance and it was awesome. I can't wait to do it again. Well, once the chaos dies a little. I don't have a smart phone so I'd be with those poor guest experience teams and I just don't want to rely on them to click me in right at 7, when being a few seconds late means the difference between group 15 and group 80.

Dad 2 M & M

does that mean your group might not have been called? If you were in the park by the time it opened how is it you could havehad a chance of not riding?
are there just mobs of people running to the ride at precisely 8am? You just happened to be behind a ton of people ? I’m lost! I feel if you are arriving at 730 there would be no way NOT to get a boarding Group

Once all Boarding Groups have been assigned they start to issue Back-Up Groups.
- A Back-up Group is just that....if all Boarding Groups are called before the Park closes, the Back up Groups will begin to be called
- There are no "mobs of people running to the ride" AT ANY TIME DURING THE DAY, much less 8:00 A.M.. No one is allowed in the ride WITHOUT having a Boarding Group, so no point in running to the ride, walking or any other sort of movement, until your Boarding Group is called

Be there, everyone in your party scan into the Park by Park opening, and join a Boarding Group (steps are laid out thoroughly in this thread) as soon as the Park opens. You'll be fine.....

disneygeek90

No one is running, but really you need to be in the park by the time of the posted open. They are letting people in about 40 mins before. Once inside, you hang out until the open time, then compete with thousands of others on the app to get the best number possible. If you are in the park a half hour after the open, it’s realistic that you may not ride, it just depends on the day and how well the ride is operating.

Backup groups are available to a point, but you won’t be compensated if your number ends up not being called. There is a ton of discussion further about it over here

PatInCT

Another post above detailed what a "backup group" is (not guaranteed to ride). They let you know when you get the boarding group assignment. You must have all members of the boarding group scanned into the park to request your boarding group (when the park is open). DHS is currently opening at 7am... today they got to 155 (I check just for fun from home now)

socalkdg

I’ll put FOP above ROTR after experiencing both this past week. Both were major high lites of the trip and glad I was able to do both.

Great stay at BWV. Disappointed with Dinosaur as I felt it was a cheap knockoff of Indi. SDD was better than SDMT which I experienced both for the first time as well. Still love COP, like DL SM better, liked Frozen, like TOT better than GOTG, and see positives to each FP system for WDW and DLR.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

As you know we missed the preshow and shuttle the first ride. So today we get the preshow and shuttle, but breaks down before we get to the holding cell. Have FP, bit have other plans. Crazy. Maybe not meant to be.
I think its obvious that God does not want you to experience a full ride through.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

In my opinion - the designer of the experience (imagineers) should have the power to say no the attraction has to close if this is not functioning.

IF the attraction can run without a pre-show, a proper b-mode should have been designed. For example, a b-space transport that’s just a themed hallway with a some lighting effects and a audio that says you’ve been captured so that you exit into hangar having still been captured.
Can we still have a ramp?

csm

In my opinion - the designer of the experience (imagineers) should have the power to say no the attraction has to close if this is not functioning.

Oh, they absolutely do. It's called (or at least it was called) SQS documentation, which stands for Show Quality Standards. It lists every effect within an attraction's show, ranks them by how critical they are to having the guest experience match the design intent and clearly outlines the steps for when they're inoperable. For example, a show critical effect would require the ride be closed until it's fixed. A lesser critical effect might say "repair overnight," etc - giving a reasonable timetable.

The problem is, generally speaking, WDW management couldn't care less. They believe they call the shots, and to receive instruction from anyone but themselves would be beneath them. Many moons ago, I once worked at WDW, statused to a major headliner attraction. At the time, I was probably one of just three people in the building - maintenance included - who actually held show quality / guest experience as a sacred principle. There was a day where one of the attraction's "101 show elements" (the critical ones that you'd bring the ride down until they're fixed) was offline. When I privately addressed this behind closed doors with the manager on duty, they immediately raised their voice in retort, shouting "WDI doesn't tell me how to run my attraction." As I stated then and stress again today, "With all due respect, that's quite literally what this document says." And that's not even touching on the emperor syndrome of "my attraction," as if being barely higher than a hourly employee gives them some sort of stake of ownership over a nine figure asset that the WDC has invested in.

The reason for this story is simple - without having seen it personally, but having seen many others for many other attractions over the years, there's simply no way that such a document does not exist for Rise of the Resistance. And to that end, there's simply no way the ITS is not listed as a 101 show element. Make no mistake - like many of the problems that have persisted at WDW over the past number of years, middle-management is squarely to blame. It is my genuine belief that there is a likelihood that upper management on the executive level may have no clue just how bad the corrupt politics game is frontline. It's tragically sad to see it already have an impact - even if only for a few hours, on a work of art like Rise of the Resistance. Tragically sad, but not even a little bit surprising.

nickys

Premium Member
MI’m lost! I feel if you are arriving at 730 there would be no way NOT to get a boarding Group

The demand is such that all boarding groups for the day are filled within anything from 3 to 30 minutes of opening the BG process, which is at park opening. 15 minutes is a good average time to bear in mind.

If you get a regular boarding group and don’t get called, there is “compensation” given (such as a day park ticket and an FP which can be used for RotR another day or another ride).

After the regular boarding groups are filled, they close and then re-open the back-up boarding groups. These are called if things go well. But there is no promise of riding and there is no “compensation” if you don’t get called. That is explicitly stated in the process. During the really busy days these could also fill very quickly, but now they are often available for 2 hours or more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom