News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

DisneyJoe

Guess they started with group 8 today instead of 1 or 10. Got the notification my boarding group was called around 6:45 while in a 5 min line for Slinky. Entered the line at 7. I’m kinda surprised though they let a ECV go through these tight caves. Currently behind one and I feel so bad cause they’re having so much trouble going through here.
They test all lines for ECVs - some just don't know how to steer them. (I am an ECV user, I know that some lines are tough to turn in, they just need to take all turns wide)

EricsBiscuit

Just got in. Boarding group 54.
3E4DBDF6-A8D8-462A-BDC2-9BA8BFB5A098.jpeg

AC21075

I’m following along in preparation for a late January trip... just out of curiosity, what are the boarding groups maxing out at? What numbers (roughly) are the last ones getting in?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I’m following along in preparation for a late January trip... just out of curiosity, what are the boarding groups maxing out at? What numbers (roughly) are the last ones getting in?

Yesterday, they stopped at BG 115 at about 30 mins prior to close but most assume they stopped there because they had actually got through all of the distributed boarding groups and just didnt take anyone else (as opposed to having an issue that shut the ride down after BG 115...)

disneygeek90

Roughly a bit over 100. Depending on the day the last 10-20 are not being called. Yesterday it appears it was capped at 115 and they managed to call them at least an hour before close.

butterxcup

They test all lines for ECVs - some just don't know how to steer them. (I am an ECV user, I know that some lines are tough to turn in, they just need to take all turns wide)
The person ended up hitting about 80% of the turns and seemed so frustrated but got through and seemed to enjoy the ride at the end which is what it’s all about! But yeah, those to ECVs I guess just be cautious there are ‘tight’ turns in the line and like you said, take them as wide as you can.
Out at 7:27 and now making my way ‘across the pond’ to do some Harry Potter Christmas shopping. Hope everyone who’s trying to get on today makes it on! All effects seemed to be working flawlessly this morning!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Precisely! Assuming no stoppages, and a throughput of 1000/guests/hour, with perhaps an 18 hour day, that's only 18,000/guests/day, even if they manage to get closer to 2000/guests/hour, that is only 36,000/guests/day, and I am pushing the limits and hoping for perfection. I believe now they are closer to 800/guests/hour?

RotR's theoretical maximum capacity is 1,700 PPH.

From 6 AM to Midnight is 18 hours. So that would be 30,600 people. Almost the average daily number of guests.

Of course, there will be days when there are more than the average. And the existence of a fully armed and operational RotR completing SWL will probably make that average daily attendance increase. So, there will always be more guests than the ride can handle even figuring maximum throughput.

But rides rarely reach their maximum throughput. There's slow loading. There's empty seats due to the Tetris-like game of the number of guests in a party not always equaling 8 per vehicle. And there are full stops for a variety of reasons. Also, don't count on the park being open 18 hours a day... it will drift down to 14. And Disney doesn't care that much that not everyone gets to ride. Because for so many of their most popular rides, that is the same situation for most of them.

So, at a 14 hour a day and a more reasonable 1,400 PPH, that's 19,600.

So, let's just call it 20K a day when the ride doesn't have significant breakdowns.

@lentesta will probably be able to confirm the ride's actual PPH in a few weeks, I guess.

ToTBellHop

RotR's theoretical maximum capacity is 1,700 PPH.

From 6 AM to Midnight is 18 hours. So that would be 30,600 people. Almost the average daily number of guests.

Of course, there will be days when there are more than the average. And the existence of a fully armed and operational RotR completing SWL will probably make that average daily attendance increase. So, there will always be more guests than the ride can handle even figuring maximum throughput.

But rides rarely reach their maximum throughput. There's slow loading. There's empty seats due to the Tetris-like game of the number of guests in a party not always equaling 8 per vehicle. And there are full stops for a variety of reasons. Also, don't count on the park being open 18 hours a day... it will drift down to 14. And Disney doesn't care that much that not everyone gets to ride. Because for so many of their most popular rides, that is the same situation for most of them.

So, at a 14 hour a day and a more reasonable 1,400 PPH, that's 19,600.

So, let's just call it 20K a day when the ride doesn't have significant breakdowns.

@lentesta will probably be able to confirm the ride's actual PPH in a few weeks, I guess.
We must remind ourselves, as well, that not all guests can ride or want to. At a secondary WDW park, 20,000 guests per day would allow just about everyone who wants to ride the ability to do so, outside of peak weeks. But during the busiest days, even PotC can’t see all guests. Only PeopleMover is capable of that.

With that said, 20,000/day will be a big problem at DL. They already hate the ride, though, so maybe not.

DHS sees 31k on an average day. DL is more like 51k. And sure, they have more rides, but I doubt, “sorry, you can’t ride RotR today, but it’s a small world is open!” will satisfy many.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

It would seem super fans are back in school or back at work. Plus soon enough all but the highest level of AP will be blocked out so that should help a little bit with these 3 AM arrivals by Christmas Week. It’ll be busy of course, but I doubt we’ll see as many people arriving so early.
Yeah I’m blacked out soon as well. Going to try and get my second ride in on Saturday.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Groups all claimed 8:40am

About 10 mins later than yesterday. I wonder if (based on alledgely getting through all the boarding groups yesterday) they put out more boarding groups today, or if demand is starting to show some (very slight) signs of decreasing. Or, maybe it's just because it's a Tuesday in early December (have to imagine boarding groups Christmas week will be gone VERY early).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom