News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

easyrowrdw

Yea. you're right. you are not Len. lol

What kind of comment is that? It seemed to me like a very useful piece of information and pretty much answered your second question.

An easy wdw site posted a graph showing averages from the first three days. If you'd like to look for it while others are getting their stuff together, I think it'd also help answer your questions.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
And your ok with that?

Generally.. no. Which is why I've been against Disney's moves to force more and more constrained planning. But being able to articulate something doesn't mean you support it. It means I'm able to dissect the situation into pieces that actually stand alone and isn't just an emotional reaction.

The root problem here is not something Disney is at a fault for. The root problem is there are more people who will want to ride this attraction than physically can. As such, ideals like "everyone should be able to ride..." simply aren't physically possible. So you get into the world of 'what system should we use...'

I think the virtual queue with in park check-ins is one of the better solutions Disney has rolled out in a long time. It addresses many problems, and Disney's willingness to throw compensation at guests (automatically) for those who are let down by it is a level of service we haven't seen from Disney in AGES.

But people are bent around the axle that Disney is being shifty on when the queue opens... and making up war cries like 'resort guests are being penalized' and other nonsense. Instead of addressing the elephant in the room... that each person is in the same group of thousands who are trying to get into this limited attraction.

You realize this is the first Disney ride that has ever opened that the average guest can’t ride, up until now if you were willing to wait you could ride, now you have to be an uberplanner to get on.

Sorry.. this is a argument for someone that doesn't exist. If you have to wait 5+hrs to get on something... it's not for the every-man. People are moaning about being excluded... for an alternative that almost no one wants either. t's a petty argument that doesn't actually make things better.. it's a paper victory that doesn't actually make the attraction more accessible to the majority of people.

A "fair" solution that doesn't improve access and just makes things worse is not automatically better.

Disney could just air drop FP tickets from the roof-tops after the park is open... That would be 'fair' - but it would be horrible. People need to step back from their moral highground and look at solutions that actually address the real problems at hand. Not just what is 'fair'.

Touchdown

Right now, the demand is too high to assume that an average guest that walks into the park at 10am gets to ride the most sought ought attraction in the history of theme parks. This is Star Wars. Is it ideal? No. But it is what it is.

If the ride isn’t ready it shouldn’t be open yet. Its poor customer service to have done what Disney has done.

KingdomofDreams

We'll be arriving next week so obviously I've been following along here. My question is what (if anything) might be open in the park before opening time? With currently available info I'm anticipating arriving at HS around 6:30 - 6:45ish and wondering what we can expect to be able to do in the time after securing our boarding group. Just fyi, we won't be there on Sunday so no HS EMH's for us even though we're staying onsite. Tks!

disneygeek90

We'll be arriving next week so obviously I've been following along here. My question is what (if anything) might be open in the park before opening time? With currently available info I'm anticipating arriving at HS around 6:30 - 6:45ish and wondering what we can expect to be able to do in the time after securing our boarding group. Just fyi, we won't be there on Sunday so no HS EMH's for us even though we're staying onsite. Tks!
All attractions were open when I was in the park at 6:45 on Saturday.

Touchdown

If guests aren't willing to accept technical difficulties and growing pains of new attractions, perhaps it's better if they give the ride a few months before making a trip.

Its hard to be willing when you aren’t informed, no where outside the property are you even made aware of the problems associated with this ride. All rides have issues at opening, but I think we can agree that this ride is having more issues and it’s because Disney rushed to open it. Soft openings should have started last week and continued through until all major issues were resolved.

Wreckem

MK has EMH at 7 that morning. Hope that works in your favor!

Last year MK opened up before it’s official 7:00am opening on Christmas Eve. If I recall correctly we were off SDMT prior to official park opening.
I don’t think it will help much but it’s the day I choose for my first DHS day as well, so up hope it helps.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Its hard to be willing when you aren’t informed, no where outside the property are you even made aware of the problems associated with this ride. All rides have issues at opening, but I think we can agree that this ride is having more issues and it’s because Disney rushed to open it. Soft openings should have started last week and continued through until all major issues were resolved.

Uhh.. Test Track? There is nothing to suggest the kinds of issues they are having are short-lived and would be hammered out with Soft Openings. The attraction has been under test for ages. Eventually people need to realize 'soft openings' are not pixie dust - they are simply a phase of the opening strategy (and usually more about STAFF than ride tech) used to ramp up the entropy and scale. They don't fix things.. they expose things. And something like RoTR has been through plenty to have things exposed.

If Disney just postponed the attraction for another 6months people would lose their mind. I can't help but believe the cry for Soft Openings is just another way for people to beg for their walk-up access.

disneygeek90

It's safe to assume that any new attraction (especially ones as being heavily technical) will have some issues, especially the first week. I remember going to Toy Story Mania in 2008 and that thing was down more often than running. This isn't something new.

If you'd rather just knock the open time, show up when you think the timing/testing is adequate. No one is forcing anyone to go a week or two into open.

socalkdg

For the last time, it doesn't matter. If Disney waits to open the gates at the correct opening time, 8 AM, and they go online at 8 am, you won't get a spot for ROTR because you are stuck in line outside the park behind 15000 people that got to the park between 5-7 am. The first 10000 people through the gate get the spots. So showing up at 7 or 7:30 put you behind everyone else. Now you won't get into the park until 8:30 to 9 as they process the thousands in front of you, you won't ride ROTR, and you lose some time enjoying the rest of the park since you are at the end of massive line outside the park.

Noticed a few others have mentioned the same thing I did. A line is a line, whether outside the gate, inside the gate, in the parking lot, on the road, whatever.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

For the last time, it doesn't matter. If Disney waits to open the gates at the correct opening time, 8 AM, and they go online at 8 am, you won't get a spot for ROTR because you are stuck in line outside the park behind 15000 people that got to the park between 5-7 am. The first 10000 people through the gate get the spots. So showing up at 7 or 7:30 put you behind everyone else. Now you won't get into the park until 8:30 to 9 as they process the thousands in front of you, you won't ride ROTR, and you lose some time enjoying the rest of the park since you are at the end of massive line outside the park.
This can be somewhat negated if they prevent people from being able to camp out Black Friday style and enter the parking lot at 4 AM. Prevent people from even entering until the usual parking lot opening time and announce this. If this means that they have to circle around property for three hours then so be it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
What I've been told, and what many have blogged is that Disney Hotel bookings are flat. Those that wanted to experience SWGE booked the second they could, those that don't care about SWGE but say care more about princesses and Mickey Mouse or Food and Wine or whatever, have not booked primarily due to high prices and waiting for discounts.

Disney did a very good job of salvaging Summer 2019 because of deep room discounts and packages, but at the cost of conditioning guests to wait until sales are announced. They will most likely need to do the same again this year, at least to compensate for the large price increases coming in February.

Looking at the parking lots via the Skyliner on Saturday, Pop and AoA had plenty of free spaces.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This can be somewhat negated if they prevent people from being able to camp out Black Friday style and enter the parking lot at 4 AM. Prevent people from even entering until the usual parking lot opening time and announce this. If this means that they have to circle around property for three hours then so be it.

Until people start parking on the shoulders of the road leading up to the park... then they start blocking ramps... then you have aggressive people trying to 'cut the line' but now with 4000lb rams.. And now you have to involve the police, and how many do you need to effectively manage a huge expanse like the road network? It's messy, its dangerous, it makes the problem bigger (not smaller), its more expensive, and less effective for your customers.

Having people hover on the roads is the LAST thing you want. Why do you think airports have 'cell phone' parking lots now? To combat the very type of problems this 'solution' creates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom