News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

KevinPage

There have been at least 3 stretches of no groups being called for around 40-45 minutes today, plus this last one, which has been stuck at group 46 for over 60 minutes now.

But even when they were doing well into the hundreds (consistently) there were bouts of downtime each day, right?

Admittedly I might be giving Disney too much credit. But this isn’t their first rodeo and I gotta believe they know how to handle these kinda things.
683E4A15-8A25-4F2C-9E91-22D0EC196644.gif

lentesta

Premium Member
ICYMI - TP did a deep dive into using WiFi or Cell Data to obtain boarding groups.

I was surprised at the number of packet drops (almost 6%) on the WiFi in the morning. Afternoon and evenings seem to be much better.

Your requests are likely still going as HTTPS over TCP, but if one of those packets gets dropped, the time it takes to re-transmit is probably significant with respect to which boarding group you get, if any.

Ping packets are 64 bytes long. At 6% loss per packet, there's a decent chance that a single long HTTP request has multiple failures. (I'd have to check the length of an API call.) Heck, we could probably calculate the odds that one guest's request has multiple failures during the re-try.

KevinPage

Looking at that, confirms best bet is using cell data. I could almost care less about those speeds (we're not streaming video here, so anything more than 10-15Mbps is probably overkill anyways), but those dropped packets are an issue and a more consistent ping response time. If your connection drops a packet that is going to set you back much more in getting to the next part of the data flow.

I would love to see that test with AT&T and Verizon. I have AT&T and have always beaten my friends (who have T-Mobile and Verizon), to the 🥊

KevinPage

I was surprised at the number of packet drops (almost 6%) on the WiFi in the morning. Afternoon and evenings seem to be much better.

Your requests are likely still going as HTTPS over TCP, but if one of those packets gets dropped, the time it takes to re-transmit is probably significant with respect to which boarding group you get, if any.

Ping packets are 64 bytes long. At 6% loss per packet, there's a decent chance that a single long HTTP request has multiple failures. (I'd have to check the length of an API call.) Heck, we could probably calculate the odds that one guest's request has multiple failures during the re-try.

Len, not counting the time it takes to “click” each name of your party, does the system take longer to process (needing to confirm everyone in your party), if you had 5-6 people, causing you to possibly get a later boarding group than someone with a party of 1-2 people?

I assumed it was possible as the system has to check viability of each magicband being scanned into the park.

OR does the system put a hold onto your boarding group, while it checks, and no issues, releases that group number to you (assuming there are issues, it gets resent back to the pool)

Last edited:

SoFloMagic

Do others feel the same way even though this has been open three months and it's getting worse? should this be accepted as the norm and Im just being too critical and looking at this incorrectly?
Serious question: Do they care? I think this makes it look like it's a ride that everyone is losing their mind over. Imagine if they give a ROTR FP with the star wars hotel....
I understand that it wasn't ready, but that was 2.5 months ago... at this point what other explanation is there?

skiir97

3 months seems long. What was Test Track's debugging period like? I seem to recall that was mostly tire related.

Not sure how accurate it is but according to Wikipedia, Test Track was supposed to open in May 1997. That got pushed to December 1998 (soft opening). Official opening wasn’t until March 1999.

One of the issues was tires but apparently the biggest problem was the software not being able to handle the required number of vehicles on the track at once.

DarkMetroid567

But even when they were doing well into the hundreds (consistently) there were bouts of downtime each day, right?

Admittedly I might be giving Disney too much credit. But this isn’t their first rodeo and I gotta believe they know how to handle these kinda things.
View attachment 449701

That was my hope too, but the fact that the virtual queue process isn’t being utilized for MMRR leads me to believe that Rise’s opening was expected to go exceptionally poor.

The early rumors of Chapek pushing the ride to open before it was ready are undeniable at this stage. Hagrid’s wasn’t this bad, and Indiana Jones Adventure (I believe) wasn’t this bad.

lentesta

Premium Member
Len, not counting the time it takes to “click” each name of your party, does the system take longer to process (needing to confirm everyone in your party), if you had 5-6 people, causing you to possibly get a later boarding group than someone with a party of 1-2 people?

I assumed it was possible as the system has to check viability of each magicband being scanned into the park.

OR does the system put a hold onto your boarding group, while it checks, and no issues, releases that group number to you (assuming there are issues, it gets resent back to the pool)

As it stands now, and everything else being equal, more people should be a later boarding group. The message your MDE app sends to the server probably includes the information for everyone in your BG (like, the string of letters and numbers that uniquely identifies each of you in MDE).

The longer the message, the more likely it is that some part of it will get lost and have to be re-sent. That takes time - sometimes over 1 second in my tests - and that adds up.

Doing some math:
  • Today DHS was open for 13 hours
  • Let's say that ROTR runs perfectly. It can handle about 1,350 people per hour right now
  • That works out to 17,550 riders in a day
  • All 17,550 spots were gone inside of 2 minutes (or 120 seconds x 1000 milliseconds/seconds = 120,000 milliseconds)
  • That means 1 person gets an MDE boarding group every 6.84 milliseconds, or every 0.00684 seconds.
If you're half a second late on hitting 'Join Boarding Group' and your initial request gets dropped in the network, resulting in a 1-second delay in getting to Disney's BG servers, that 1500-millisecond delay is equal to around 220 people.

We're not timing how many seconds it takes for all the BGs to be allocated, so it's possible it's like 65 seconds instead of 120. That would almost double the number of people per 1 second of delay.

I should mention that even if you do everything perfectly, your request still ends up on a server in Disney's network that might experience its own problems just as your request arrives. There's nothing you can do about that.

KevinPage

As it stands now, and everything else being equal, more people should be a later boarding group. The message your MDE app sends to the server probably includes the information for everyone in your BG (like, the string of letters and numbers that uniquely identifies each of you in MDE).

The longer the message, the more likely it is that some part of it will get lost and have to be re-sent. That takes time - sometimes over 1 second in my tests - and that adds up.

Doing some math:
  • Today DHS was open for 13 hours
  • Let's say that ROTR runs perfectly. It can handle about 1,350 people per hour right now
  • That works out to 17,550 riders in a day
  • All 17,550 spots were gone inside of 2 minutes (or 120 seconds x 1000 milliseconds/seconds = 120,000 milliseconds)
  • That means 1 person gets an MDE boarding group every 6.84 milliseconds, or every 0.00684 seconds.
If you're half a second late on hitting 'Join Boarding Group' and your initial request gets dropped in the network, resulting in a 1-second delay in getting to Disney's BG servers, that 1500-millisecond delay is equal to around 220 people.

We're not timing how many seconds it takes for all the BGs to be allocated, so it's possible it's like 65 seconds instead of 120. That would almost double the number of people per 1 second of delay.

I should mention that even if you do everything perfectly, your request still ends up on a server in Disney's network that might experience its own problems just as your request arrives. There's nothing you can do about that.

Thanks and yes I’m going to have to re-read that a few times 😂

LittleBuford

Used the @Demarke method on Saturday and got Group 39. We were called up just before noon and had a faultless ride. Others be warned: I launched into action as soon as the clock hit 8 and moved very quickly through all the steps, yet I still didn't succeed in securing one of the first few groups. Every second really does count.

Thank you all for your excellent advice! I may not have succeeded if not for all the tips in this thread.

MJJME

Not sure how accurate it is but according to Wikipedia, Test Track was supposed to open in May 1997. That got pushed to December 1998 (soft opening). Official opening wasn’t until March 1999.

One of the issues was tires but apparently the biggest problem was the software not being able to handle the required number of vehicles on the track at once.
That's over 20 years ago. I'm not saying there shouldn't be problems but 20 years in technology advancements is an eternity. I don't think test track is a good comp. there was no such thing as texting when test track was invented.

having their worst week after being open for 3 months is borderline ridiculous

MJJME

View attachment 449701
Why has it gotten worse then? Regressing bad. They are at half of what they were in the first week of January. New Years had 200 BGs I think. Today was 88

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom