News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

gerarar

Premium Member
lower and lower every day for BG numbers...…......do we know how many did not get on last night? did they have 145 groups and 117 got to ride?
To be fair, the starting backup # was going up and up the past few days.....then yesterday's bad afternoon happened..

Weather_Lady

Am I the only one feeling slightly panicked about the fact that as of this moment, openings shift to 8am beginning tomorrow? With so few people getting to ride RoTR as it is, does anyone else think it is bat$%*& crazy for Disney to be reducing those opportunities even further by reducing the number of hours the park is even open (while simultaneously increasing the number of people who are going to be in the park to try for a boarding group, since there are many for whom 7am is "too early" but 8am is doable)?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Am I the only one feeling slightly panicked about the fact that as of this moment, openings shift to 8am beginning tomorrow? With so few people getting to ride RoTR as it is, does anyone else think it is bat$%*& crazy for Disney to be reducing those opportunities even further by reducing the number of hours the park is even open (while simultaneously increasing the number of people who are going to be in the park to try for a boarding group, since there are many for whom 7am is "too early" but 8am is doable)?

Overall resort demand still trumps one ride's popularity tho.. I just see it as trending for that.

Weather_Lady

Overall resort demand still trumps one ride's popularity tho.. I just see it as trending for that.

If that's the case, then wouldn't they have at least pushed back openings for President's Day week, when 25% of the kids in America are out of school, resorts are jam-packed and in-park crowds are expected to be 9 or 10/10 for the first half of the week? Or is this just too mush wishful thinking on my part, since I'll be part of that sea of idiots? ;)

disneygeek90

I can't wrap my head around the low groups. Even after some struggles yesterday evening there's really no explanation for 62 groups. That's half of what was called yesterday. I get them wanting to test things when the ride breaks down and it seems like they're willing to do that on weekdays for whatever reason, but accounting for half the day of downtime doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can't wrap my head around the low groups. Even after some struggles yesterday evening there's really no explanation for 62 groups. That's half of what was called yesterday. I get them wanting to test things when the ride breaks down and it seems like they're willing to do that on weekdays for whatever reason, but accounting for half the day of downtime doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Maybe there is planned stuff we don't know about?

Purduevian

Surely there's gotta be some explanation. I would just love to know what it is.
Just a guess: Every time the ride breaks down the team has 2 options.
1) Do a quick reset and do a quick fix to get the ride running ASAP (run things in B-mode, don't worry about A-mode until tonight, and don't try to fix the long term issues). Turn it all off and on again
2) Pull diagnostic codes, and replicate the problem a few times while taking lots of data. Simply resetting the system might cause this gremlin to go back into hiding for an undetermined amount of time, thus not allowing a fix to be found.

Clearly option 1 is a lot quicker and is good for the short term. Option 2 takes awhile, but is better for the long term of their ride. I think they are using option 1 on weekends and more option 2 on weekdays. Why? Due to guests travel patterns. Most likely, if a guest is there on a Monday-Thursday, they will most likely be there through the weekend. However if a guest is visiting on a Saturday or a Sunday, the odds are higher that they will be leaving before Monday.

Weather_Lady

Just a guess: Every time the ride breaks down the team has 2 options.
1) Do a quick reset and do a quick fix to get the ride running ASAP (run things in B-mode, don't worry about A-mode until tonight, and don't try to fix the long term issues). Turn it all off and on again
2) Pull diagnostic codes, and replicate the problem a few times while taking lots of data. Simply resetting the system might cause this gremlin to go back into hiding for an undetermined amount of time, thus not allowing a fix to be found.

Clearly option 1 is a lot quicker and is good for the short term. Option 2 takes awhile, but is better for the long term of their ride. I think they are using option 1 on weekends and more option 2 on weekdays. Why? Due to guests travel patterns. Most likely, if a guest is there on a Monday-Thursday, they will most likely be there through the weekend. However if a guest is visiting on a Saturday or a Sunday, the odds are higher that they will be leaving before Monday.

I'm sure you're right -- but I think it's still a bit of a D move by Disney, which surely has sufficient resources to pay people to work on these issues during the 10-12 hours the park is shut down for the night (or the park is open, but RoTR is down, for EMH).

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
It is also possible Disney is reducing the number of "guaranteed" groups to reduce the number of comps given out on a given day.
It's been a while they've given out compensation. And they always seem to do a last ditch effort within the last hour or two to call all the remaining guaranteed BGs (filling the queue, like that 2hour wait a couple weeks ago), if the ride's been having a terrible day.

disneygeek90

It is also possible Disney is reducing the number of "guaranteed" groups to reduce the number of comps given out on a given day.
I could see that if they were consistently calling well below the guaranteed groups but they haven't had to comp a guaranteed group in quite a while. Their worst day ever is 70 groups. Which would be a backup group today. From a guest perspective it appears the standard is getting lowered as we move on, not higher.

KevinPage

I'm sure you're right -- but I think it's still a bit of a D move by Disney, which surely has sufficient resources to pay people to work on these issues during the 10-12 hours the park is shut down for the night (or the park is open, but RoTR is down, for EMH).

A mega conglomerate with infinite resources can pretty much do anything they want, if the shareholders agree.

But with current management this is hardly surprising (unfortunately)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom