News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I see there are a lot of smart people on here and then there is you.
I don't think my question was that bad considering this has to be considered a "major problem" where they about to lose an entire day. This could lead to no more guaranteed BG since they will not be able to accommodate everyone missing the ride or not open the ride tomorrow at all so they can accommodate today's guests.
Now I can see what the other person was taking about when saying you get lambasted here by certain rude people.
I'm not trying to be a jerk. just trying to amuse. My apologies if I offended you.

disneygeek90

At least Disneyland is running from open.

It's very interesting to wonder what causes these issues though. To go from smooth sailing, perfect OPs, to ride fully down and vehicles not moving. What is happening in the coding? What is causing such bugs that they can get it up today? Would love to get a bit inside information on how a ride like this is programmed, and what could cause it to be fine one moment, and then not.
This is actually the second time in less than a week that Disneyland has outpaced DHS, even with the time difference.

The other 3 days DHS has almost doubled the amount of groups that Disneyland called with more operational hours.

The ride is clearly all over the place on both coasts, I feel bad for everyone at DHS today.

Disney Analyst

This is actually the second time in less than a week that Disneyland has outpaced DHS, even with the time difference.

The other 3 days DHS has almost doubled the amount of groups that Disneyland called with more operational hours.

The ride is clearly all over the place on both coasts, I feel bad for everyone at DHS today.

It is interesting though, I know there's a ton of coding in the ride, and bugs can happen so easily that cause issues.

I work for a software company, one browser update can break everything and then we have to find the issue and fix the coding.

disneygeek90

It is interesting though, I know there's a ton of coding in the ride, and bugs can happen so easily that cause issues.

I work for a software company, one browser update can break everything and then we have to find the issue and fix the coding.
What's even more ironic is they had one of their best days ever yesterday. Even if they open right now, I'm pretty sure they will be below their previous worst day of 70 from Friday.

Viget

Don't give up on riding yet today. Just as info, Friday was pretty awful operationally too, and when it finally got humming around 4-5 pm (there had been 3 lengthy breakdowns), it churned through some 40 BG before the park closed. Last group called was 70. Some folks didn't get to ride, but I imagine they got FPs.

I also find the operational efficiency of the ride rather suspicious as well; paradoxically, it seems to do better when demand is higher (i.e. on weekends). For something where kinks are still being worked out, you would think it would work much better on low capacity days, like weekdays.

My suspicion given what I observed from riding the ride twice this past weekend (and it was quite busy) and the unique queuing problems the ride presents is that there is some threshold minimum number of CMs that must be present to keep the lines flowing efficiently and load/unload times reasonable to prevent supply/demand mismatch for the ride vehicles and cascading failures leading to full ride stops and resets.

I suspect this threshold number of CMs is much higher than Ops would like it to be, and they may not be meeting it on lower demand days, where their current staffing solutions do not support that need. Hence, frequent E-stops and resets.

This is just speculation on my part, but it is logically consistent with the patterns we've noticed, and it would explain many outstanding unanswered questions that we have about the ride and the land as a whole.

Weather_Lady

Yes I have read through some of this and can tell. But that still doesn't change the way my family is thinking and why we are taking this trip
1) we booked our trip based on this being operational
2) thought they would have FP by then (and that's not happening)
3) would push my trip out until the fall also to see if 1) and 2) are in place by then and if not push it out again.

You shouldn't have to justify your decision-making to anyone here. We all have things that would be dealbreakers for us when it comes to a WDW trip.

Weather_Lady

2:01pm. Now boarding Group 15. (Given that it wasn't showing as boarding for @DCBaker a minute ago, I must have checked the app right after it flipped.)

Edit: Changed at 2:03pm to Groups 15-18.

At least Disneyland is running from open.

It's very interesting to wonder what causes these issues though. To go from smooth sailing, perfect OPs, to ride fully down and vehicles not moving. What is happening in the coding? What is causing such bugs that they can get it up today? Would love to get a bit inside information on how a ride like this is programmed, and what could cause it to be fine one moment, and then not.
It's likely to be a combination of digital and physical. Digital systems typically break down at integration points, especially with physical devices. Anything that causes a scenario that a) is difficult to reproduce, b) was unanticipated, and c) is difficult to correct could be the cause.

Yes, there is likely a significant amount of custom code written for the ride, but that does not necessarily mean the code itself is to blame.

durangojim

Yes I have read through some of this and can tell. But that still doesn't change the way my family is thinking and why we are taking this trip
1) we booked our trip based on this being operational
2) thought they would have FP by then (and that's not happening)
3) would push my trip out until the fall also to see if 1) and 2) are in place by then and if not push it out again.
We just got back yesterday after flying down Friday. Our main purpose was to go on RotR. I was sweating it because Thursday my son was diagnosed with influenza B, Friday the ride was down most of the day. We still flew down Friday (my son was on tamiflu, no fever, possibly still contagious but unlikely as he was not coughing and mostly just feeling tired and achy, and he was the one to decide that we'd still go. I would have canceled no problem if he didn't) and were at the park at 6:15 Saturday. Got boarding group 25 and had an amazing short trip. My son said it was one of his best Disney trips ever because he also got to pilot the Falcon. Moral of the story, don't give up hope! You're still likely to have a great time!

Disney Analyst

It's likely to be a combination of digital and physical. Digital systems typically break down at integration points, especially with physical devices. Anything that causes a scenario that a) is difficult to reproduce, b) was unanticipated, and c) is difficult to correct could be the cause.

Yes, there is likely a significant amount of custom code written for the ride, but that does not necessarily mean the code itself is to blame.

Oh for sure, hard to know what the culprit is, and I assume they aren't quite sure as it keeps happening. A mix of safety features clashing?

Oh for sure, hard to know what the culprit is, and I assume they aren't quite sure as it keeps happening. A mix of safety features clashing?
That would be my guess.

The issue has to be in the trackless portion because we know they've skipped the pre-shows before. For such an issue to kill the entire ride, it'd have to be something that every vehicle must encounter like a door sensor reading as closed/open when the door is open/closed. That could be a faulty sensor or some unknown series of events that puts an otherwise working sensor in an invalid state thereby causing the issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom