News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

I asked this before on this thread and never got a reply.

@20000Leagues Do you think Disney considers the opening of Toy Story Land and Pandora: The World of Avatar to be an operational success? If so, how do you define "success"? If not, why not?

Chadisa

Long time lurker, very infrequent poster :)

I am one of the weirdos who has actually read this entire 280+ page post and I would love some advice.

We will be down in The Dis 2/8 to 2/15 (me, wife,13,10,4) and have plans to go to HS on 2/13.

My original "brilliant" plan was to get the VIP tour that day so we could blast on ROTR,MFSR,SDD, etc over and over again. That is still the plan but as of right now ROTR isn't offered in the VIP experience and they don't know when it will be.

We also have bfast reservations at Hollywood & Vine that day at 8:30 and the park (as of right now) says it's opening at 9:00.

At first I thought that at least we would not need to wait in the mob outside to get into the park in order to get ready for the great app refresh lottery but it sounds like they open it up early anyway.

So I guess I'm asking for help figuring out the best strategy if ROTR isn't included in VIP by then. It sounds like I'm going to be refreshing the app in the middle of meeting freaking Vamperina at bfast right?

Any additional strategery would be much appreciated lol

Parker in NYC

I am one of the weirdos who has actually read this entire 280+ page post and I would love some advice.

We will be down in The Dis 2/8 to 2/15 (me, wife,13,10,4) and have plans to go to HS on 2/13.

My original "brilliant" plan was to get the VIP tour that day so we could blast on ROTR,MFSR,SDD, etc over and over again. That is still the plan but as of right now ROTR isn't offered in the VIP experience and they don't know when it will be.

Even if I had access to the VIP tour, I wouldn't bet on RoTR. This situation very much reminds me of a scene from Titanic. "Your money can't save you." We're all at the mercy of what Ops decides to do that day/hour/minute. I highly doubt they're going to add it to the tour anytime soon, it's every man, woman, child, and support animal for themselves.

I feel the only option is to arrive early enough to make it into the gates and jump on that boarding group at park opening. If you get a later boarding group, go to breakfast. If not, you'll have a two hour window to include breakfast and take your chance that the ride won't break down in the interim. There are more knowledgeable folks here but those are my two cents!

Chadisa

Even if I had access to the VIP tour, I wouldn't bet on RoTR. This situation very much reminds me of a scene from Titanic. "Your money can't save you." We're all at the mercy of what Ops decides to do that day/hour/minute. I highly doubt they're going to add it to the tour anytime soon, it's every man, woman, child, and support animal for themselves.

Yeah that's what I am realizing after reading everyone's first hand reports - so now I'm into "how do I do this the best way" mode. Our 4 year old is like the spawn of the devil so figuring this out and dealing with what to do with her is also awesome (minus the awesome) ;)

disneygeek90

We also have bfast reservations at Hollywood & Vine that day at 8:30 and the park (as of right now) says it's opening at 9:00.

At first I thought that at least we would not need to wait in the mob outside to get into the park in order to get ready for the great app refresh lottery but it sounds like they open it up early anyway.

So I guess I'm asking for help figuring out the best strategy if ROTR isn't included in VIP by then. It sounds like I'm going to be refreshing the app in the middle of meeting freaking Vamperina at bfast right?

Any additional strategery would be much appreciated lol
Boarding Group first, everything else second. I would guess that that opening of 9am won't be the case, probably more like 7 or 8.

Chadisa

If they open the park earlier, it will be before your reservation (7am or 8am vs current 9am scheduled time).........Get to park 30 mins before park opening so you can assure yourself of being in the park by scheduled opening time. Then join a group, its that simple.............Pending any technology fails, you should be able to get a BG and then probably even ride one of the rides before your dining reservation

Yeah that's what it seems like - if they readjust opening like they just did for the rest of January, then I'm just doing what every has done in this group so far. I was just getting overwhelmed with getting there, meeting the VIP at 10, eating bfast, etc

KevinPage

Yeah that's what I am realizing after reading everyone's first hand reports - so now I'm into "how do I do this the best way" mode. Our 4 year old is like the spawn of the devil so figuring this out and dealing with what to do with her is also awesome (minus the awesome) ;)

when it comes to RotT...

BF180255-DC7A-436A-BC12-223B91238BEC.gif

easyrowrdw

Point is, almost all of the availability is gone early in the morning and anyone entering the park after the open does not get to ride............with FOP and other popular rides, you at least get the chance to stand in line if you want to ride

Again, the bolded part isn't true. On most days you have an hour or two after park open to get a pass to ride that day. Of course you'll most likely have to come back much later in the day. That's not ideal either, but it is still riding.

The downside is, as you say, not being able to show up at other times and still ride. No FP for FOP or Slinky? 30-45 minutes at the end of the night is still an easy option.

You can use parent swap on Rise. Anyone who rides needs to have a boarding pass. Just have the group check in once your group is called and they'll add a pass for the other parent and two other guests. We took our 4 and 2 year olds to Muppets and Toy Story Land during the ride.

JusticeDisney

to further what @nickys said above....the steps in order:

1) You and your party scan your band and enter Disney Hollywood Studios .... to be safe, be inside the Park before 7:30
2) Open app....you'll see this screen 1st
3) Click Find Out More
View attachment 439479

You see this screen next....click Join Boarding Group

By the way, at 7:53 this A.M. there are still back Groups available

View attachment 439478

Next screen....click on everyone in your party that you want in your Boarding Group. Your Boarding Group will be constructed from your Family and Friends list, so make sure you have added everyone to your Family and Friends!

You'll get this next:
View attachment 439480

Then you'll get this...and you've succeeded in joining/building your Boarding Group! Our group was created at 7:32 A.M. and wasn't called until 7:41 P.M.....you'll see more below

View attachment 439491

Finally you receive this, prompting you to head over to the ride....you'll notice our group wasn't called until 7:41 P.M., and we were given to 9:41 P.M. to make it over to the ride que (9:41 is 41 mins AFTER Park Closing)

View attachment 439492

Once you make over to the Que, you'll scan once where all the CM "Guards" are making sure no one gets in without a BG. This is a holding area just outside the ride; I assume this is for those people who have arrived and are waiting for the rest of their Boarding Group. Then you'll scan again as you enter the actual line....once you've gotten in line, the line moves very swiftly, almost so swift you'll slow down just to absorb the line que....it is pretty cool!
I’m not joking when I say this is one of the most informative posts I have read here. Thank you so much for taking the time to really spell out the precise steps to take and how they work. Much appreciated!

PatInCT

Recent experience here (Tuesday, 1/7/20). Those steps nailed it.
- Park opened at 7a
- we got there around 7:40-7:45a
- got boarding group 144 (not good, backup group)
- went to another park but followed the progress on MDE about every 30 minutes
- group got called at 4:20p (we were very lucky, they didn't get near 144 any other day we were there)
- went on an amazing attraction!

of course.........multitude of reasons.........ride capacity, IP branding, popularity of rides to increase visitors to gate, etc
Then what makes Galaxy's Edge different from the previous two land openings at WDW to the point Disney explicitly stated before Galaxy's Edge opened that Fast Pass+ would not be offered on either Smuggler's Run or Rise of the Resistance for the foreseeable future?

If it is not because Pandora and Toy Story Land were operational nightmares, what is it?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And thats why they are going to change iit!!

You surmise.

But you can be very, very wrong since you don't know for sure.

Lot's of people make claims about what Disney is going or not going to do based on surmising what Disney surely must do!.... And they wind up being wrong and embarrassed for posting wrong things making them looking very wrong.... if they're capable of being embarrassed.

Oh, and if Disney eventually does do the thing they surmise they will do but at a much much later time, even years later than they claimed, they'll take credit for being right. Though they were wrong.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well I'll tell you I've been wrong once before and I wasn't embarrassed at all so if I happen to be wrong this time (which there is 0% chance I'm wrong) I still won't be embarrassed. FP is coming. That's as guaranteed as death and taxes. And I also believe paid FP is coming. So I accept your apology mister penguin and please don't be embarrassed. You are wrong a lot, you should be used to it!

The sun will come up tomorrow too... but saying that doesn't make me a oracle :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom