News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

gerarar

Premium Member
Did you go by yourself or with a family? Because by yourself, it’s probably not a big deal.
On the whole though it sucks, say your 30 mins into an 75 min wait for 7Dwarfs with 2 8 yr olds and a 6 yr old. Try getting out of there, out of of MK and back to HS without holy hell breaking loose 😆
Or say you had that same group up @ 6am for a BG, and end up getting 100+ BG @ 7:02am. You’re not getting through the day without multiple disasters, even if you go back to the hotel to rest and now when they are ready for bed you have to head out @ 7 or 8pm? The system might be passable for a single person. To me though, it screws the majority of guests.
I was there with my family of 4, including me. I get what you're saying, but the old distribution of BGs is much worse for the little ones. And a huge standby line isn't as ideal either as the attraction is still somewhat unreliable.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Friday 11 AM:

FoP: 255
SDD: 145
NRJ (!): 145
ToT, RnRC: 140
SpaceMt, 7DMT, TestT, FEA: 130
PotC, SplashMt, MFSR: 120
Safari, EE: 105
TSMM, Soarin, BTMR: 90
JC, StarT, SSE, M:S, Buzz: 75
HM, Saucers, Tales: 60
Primeval, Pooh, Land, Dumbo, Nemo, Kali: 50
Tea, DINO, Barns, Figment, IaSW: 40
Carpets, Astro, Speed, Bug: 30
Muppets, Gran, Crush, McQueen: 20
Carousel, MInc, Phil, TriSpin: 10

easyrowrdw

Did you go by yourself or with a family? Because by yourself, it’s probably not a big deal.
On the whole though it sucks, say your 30 mins into an 75 min wait for 7Dwarfs with 2 8 yr olds and a 6 yr old. Try getting out of there, out of of MK and back to HS without holy hell breaking loose 😆
Or say you had that same group up @ 6am for a BG, and end up getting 100+ BG @ 7:02am. You’re not getting through the day without multiple disasters, even if you go back to the hotel to rest and now when they are ready for bed you have to head out @ 7 or 8pm? The system might be passable for a single person. To me though, it screws the majority of guests.

Getting 100+ at 7:02 hasn't been typical. Before the hoards arrived you'd have 30-60 minutes to get regular groups. And even at 100, the average time for getting called is 4:00. That's a long day to go straight through or a good time to be coming back after a break.

I don't know if the current system is more fair than first come first serve, but I think it's more pleasant. We did both a couple weeks ago and it was much nicer "sleeping in" than waking up super early. With small kids (we have three) we greatly preferred arriving later and still being reasonably confident about getting a group to waking up crazy early even for a more guaranteed ride.

Did you read the chart from Touring Plans?

Since they changed to only opening BGs at park opening, there was only one day where all BGs were gone within minutes IIRC. The back-up groups have all been getting through recently, and have usually been available for a couple of hours.

Thanks for the tip off to the TP charts, Nickys. :)

relic827

Friday 11 AM:

FoP: 255
SDD: 145
NRJ (!): 145
ToT, RnRC: 140
SpaceMt, 7DMT, TestT, FEA: 130
PotC, SplashMt, MFSR: 120
Safari, EE: 105
TSMM, Soarin, BTMR: 90
JC, StarT, SSE, M:S, Buzz: 75
HM, Saucers, Tales: 60
Primeval, Pooh, Land, Dumbo, Nemo, Kali: 50
Tea, DINO, Barns, Figment, IaSW: 40
Carpets, Astro, Speed, Bug: 30
Muppets, Gran, Crush, McQueen: 20
Carousel, MInc, Phil, TriSpin: 10
and peoplemover is at 35. If that’s even on the list at all, it’s a bad day

Ravenclaw78

Disney is reactionary. They had a perfectly fine system then a couple people complained loudly that it wasn't fair to wake up so early and open the park early so Disney reacted with the new system.

But now with the popularity of the ride, and boarding groups gone in 3 minutes, this creates another group of people who are getting shafted due to not being able to schedule things, having to wait around all day for the "possibility" of riding, not having park hopper which traps them at DHS, etc.

They may as well go to a night before electronic lottery or Fast Past system compared to the current setup because the current set up is the worst of all worlds.
Might have been a perfect system for you. It was most assuredly NOT a perfect system for WDW Operations, or for DHS and Transportation CMs. The current system may not be ideal, but it's sustainable, which the "random unannounced opening times based on guesses about how early guests will try to show up today" system was not.

promod1955

Disney is reactionary. They had a perfectly fine system then a couple people complained loudly that it wasn't fair to wake up so early and open the park early so Disney reacted with the new system.

But now with the popularity of the ride, and boarding groups gone in 3 minutes, this creates another group of people who are getting shafted due to not being able to schedule things, having to wait around all day for the "possibility" of riding, not having park hopper which traps them at DHS, etc.

They may as well go to a night before electronic lottery or Fast Past system compared to the current setup because the current set up is the worst of all worlds.

And then they exclude those who buy their park tickets at the window morning of. I think the initial boarding group style was the best but I'm only one person.

I know many people say it but all this super advanced planning really takes some of the wind out of my sails. My last 3 Disneyland trips have been great and I'm starting to realize why. I get my ride itinerary in my head the night before and with Max pass on my phone I rope drop and can knock out 6 fast passes in a day pretty easy.The flexibility as the day goes on is great vs predicting how you are going to feel 60 or 30 days in advance. I miss those days in WDW. The parks went stale and I hated that but I don't think we knew how good we had it on the FP side until it was too late.

Parker in NYC

Might have been a perfect system for you. It was most assuredly NOT a perfect system for WDW Operations, or for DHS and Transportation CMs. The current system may not be ideal, but it's sustainable, which the "random unannounced opening times based on guesses about how early guests will try to show up today" system was not.

Agreed, which means the fault lies in the attraction not being ready to open.

relic827

I agree, although I’m not sure what could’ve been done to get it ready, without an extensive testing period. I suppose this IS the testing period...
This whole trackless thing is still relatively new, especially for WDW. They’re still figuring out the best way to open these things.

Weather_Lady

Regardless if it was ready or not, the demand for the attraction far outweighs the supply, even if it was operating at 100% capacity. This was going to be an issue no matter when they opened.

Agreed, although somebody decided at some point that it was acceptable to design an attraction with woefully insufficient capacity -- in that sense, it's still a self-created problem on Disney's part.

jt04

No matter how long they delayed the opening it would always have a finite throughput. No amount of tweaking would change that number. Management went with the sink or swim strategy and that was the correct path IMO. Disnelanyland being the biggest beneficiary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom