News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

ThistleMae

I did just finish my FP+. To be honest I didn't think about getting a time for ROR at night, when I've booked other FP's at other parks those days. I guess I'll just have to forgo whatever else I have planned. There is just no good way to do this. You get what you get and have to roll with that. I do hope I can get a BG. I may have to change some of my EMH on other days as well, and try for a BG, which means changes of my plans on those days as well. No matter what, I'm going to have a Magical Time!

gerarar

Premium Member
I believe the current system is the fairest of them all imo. You get to the park an hour or less before park opening, and you have a fair chance at getting a BG, as long you open MDE app right at the official park open time.

If you plan your whole day at Hollywood Studios, it shouldn't affect it that much. With the current tiered structure of FP+ in HS, you can only really grab one big FP, then two other shows. If that one big FP falls in line with your BG called time, it shouldn't take anywhere near two hours to complete it, so you should be able to get to ROTR within the allotted time window. Plus the CMs at the front give grace periods. I recall this one group was 15 mins too late after their 2 hour window, and they still let them in.

If you're in another park and you have a conflicting FP with your BG called time frame, most of the time you can probably exchange the FP within the MDE app for another time. Or else you just forgo to the FP, as ROTR is a must-do currently.

Doing first come first serve as it was originally just doesn't seem too ideal, as people will just get to the parks earlier and earlier; especially since blockouts are done. No situation is perfect here....Disney can't win either way, but this is the best one out of all of 'em, imo of course.

From personal experience, I had 4 times to get a BG. Two of the 4 I got to the park >1 hour after park opening, therefore I got really late not-guaranteed groups. Didnt end up getting called due to extreme downtimes, but I still got to enjoy that day as it was park hopped days along with my planned FP's. The other two days I was there 30 mins before, and it was a grand time! It's really fun talking to other people and strangers there with you on Sunset Boulevard at 5:30am. It's nice to share the excitement....it's like Black Friday, but nicer, lol.

Piebald

This new system sounds ....eh. I rode before the change where we got line with all the unwashed at 545am and made our way in. Now it seems like theres no guarantee of getting an early time if you show up earlier. Sucks for locals who dont want to spend all day in the parks and live just far enough from the chaos that its frustrating driving there in the AM and then finding out your BG is in the triple digits.

Plus it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow.

Hawg G

The new system is chaos.
How could you even plan out your week not knowing if you will get in on the first shot.

The only solace I can take is I was able to ride it before this system fail and hopefully they will figure out a better system by the time I go back.

Yeah, this, along with having to plan you other park days 30/60 days in advance, is just ridiculous.

I see another Cabana Bay stay for us this year, hopefully after Disney has figured out what to do, so we can just go one freakin day to ride a new ride like, you know, I’ve been doing my entire life.

I gotta assume when its clone opens in California, things will improve. But, this is such a perfect example of how Disney has ignored guest satisfaction for decades. The parks have so little capacity for the crowds they draw, and RotR is the poster child.

steveNJ

I believe the current system is the fairest of them all imo. You get to the park an hour or less before park opening, and you have a fair chance at getting a BG, as long you open MDE app right at the official park open time.

If you plan your whole day at Hollywood Studios, it shouldn't affect it that much. With the current tiered structure of FP+ in HS, you can only really grab one big FP, then two other shows. If that one big FP falls in line with your BG called time, it shouldn't take anywhere near two hours to complete it, so you should be able to get to ROTR within the allotted time window. Plus the CMs at the front give grace periods. I recall this one group was 15 mins too late after their 2 hour window, and they still let them in.

If you're in another park and you have a conflicting FP with your BG called time frame, most of the time you can probably exchange the FP within the MDE app for another time. Or else you just forgo to the FP, as ROTR is a must-do currently.

Doing first come first serve as it was originally just doesn't seem too ideal, as people will just get to the parks earlier and earlier; especially since blockouts are done. No situation is perfect here....Disney can't win either way, but this is the best one out of all of 'em, imo of course.

From personal experience, I had 4 times to get a BG. Two of the 4 I got to the park >1 hour after park opening, therefore I got really late not-guaranteed groups. Didnt end up getting called due to extreme downtimes, but I still got to enjoy that day as it was park hopped days along with my planned FP's. The other two days I was there 30 mins before, and it was a grand time! It's really fun talking to other people and strangers there with you on Sunset Boulevard at 5:30am. It's nice to share the excitement....it's like Black Friday, but nicer, lol.

Did you go by yourself or with a family? Because by yourself, it’s probably not a big deal.
On the whole though it sucks, say your 30 mins into an 75 min wait for 7Dwarfs with 2 8 yr olds and a 6 yr old. Try getting out of there, out of of MK and back to HS without holy hell breaking loose 😆
Or say you had that same group up @ 6am for a BG, and end up getting 100+ BG @ 7:02am. You’re not getting through the day without multiple disasters, even if you go back to the hotel to rest and now when they are ready for bed you have to head out @ 7 or 8pm? The system might be passable for a single person. To me though, it screws the majority of guests.

Kamikaze

Did you go by yourself or with a family? Because by yourself, it’s probably not a big deal.
On the whole though it sucks, say your 30 mins into an 75 min wait for 7Dwarfs with 2 8 yr olds and a 6 yr old. Try getting out of there, out of of MK and back to HS without holy hell breaking loose 😆
Or say you had that same group up @ 6am for a BG, and end up getting 100+ BG @ 7:02am. You’re not getting through the day without multiple disasters, even if you go back to the hotel to rest and now when they are ready for bed you have to head out @ 7 or 8pm? The system might be passable for a single person. To me though, it screws the majority of guests.

Take a break in the middle of the day.

disneygeek90

This new system sounds ....eh. I rode before the change where we got line with all the unwashed at 545am and made our way in. Now it seems like theres no guarantee of getting an early time if you show up earlier. Sucks for locals who dont want to spend all day in the parks and live just far enough from the chaos that its frustrating driving there in the AM and then finding out your BG is in the triple digits.

Plus it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow.
And it's gonna be freezing Sunday am. Gonna be an interesting weekend!

easyrowrdw

All groups were going quickly, the backup boarding groups are the only ones that lasted longer I believe.
Gold APs weren’t allowed back until today and its been that way all week, so basically it is just crowded.

c626def5ef10c430ea39e9ac50ac43d04ec9f5f8.png

Touring Plans

As the crowds have increased the boarding groups have gone faster. It was the busiest week of the year and now more AP holders are allowed back. That could explain it.

So far there have been two instances of all types groups being gone within an hour. Otherwise they've been around for at least 90 minutes and typically 2-3 hours. That seems "reasonable" to me.

Of course if it's not just regular crowds; if it's crazy demand or Disney making smaller groups, then I think that's another story. I guess we'll see over the next few weeks how things shake out.

disneygeek90

I gotta assume when its clone opens in California, things will improve. But, this is such a perfect example of how Disney has ignored guest satisfaction for decades. The parks have so little capacity for the crowds they draw, and RotR is the poster child.
BG's are actually much more friendly to a guest overall, as long as you secure a group, that is.

Hawg G

Yup. I hate to say it, but they almost HAVE to put this on Fastpass, and make it essentially a Resort guest only ride, just like Dwarf Hill et al. I can only imagine what Spring Break is going to be like, after months of SWGE commercials.

Although, they should at the very least release boarding groups over hours, not minutes. And I must now assume, If you don’t have a cell phone, you can’t ride the ride? So, are foreign visitors SOL, as they only have a sliver of hope to get a BG using the Disney WiFi?

steveNJ

Yup. I hate to say it, but they almost HAVE to put this on Fastpass, and make it essentially a Resort guest only ride, just like Dwarf Hill et al. I can only imagine what Spring Break is going to be like, after months of SWGE commercials.

Although, they should at the very least release boarding groups over hours, not minutes. And I must now assume, If you don’t have a cell phone, you can’t ride the ride? So, are foreign visitors SOL, as they only have a sliver of hope to get a BG using the Disney WiFi?

If you don’t have a phone, you have to run to a Guest experience Team member to get them to add you. Good luck with that unless you’re standing directly in front of one when the park opens.

disneygeek90

A resort only ride? That's a yikes.

Cast members align the main strip helping those getting stuck or without smart phones. Aside from this holiday stretch, boarding groups had been open up to a couple hours after open. I don't think it's fair to jump to conclusions at what's happening from mid December through New Years.

Hawg G

A resort only ride? That's a yikes.

Cast members align the main strip helping those getting stuck or without smart phones. Aside from this holiday stretch, boarding groups had been open up to a couple hours after open. I don't think it's fair to jump to conclusions at what's happening from mid December through New Years.

All new rides are pretty much that, unless you want to wait 3 hours. Non resort guests still have no chance of getting a Dwarf Hill or FOP FP.

Boarding Groups haven’t been available for more than a few minutes after official park opening EVER. This is hardly jumping to a conclusion.

I don’t see the point of those cast members at this point. What, can they each help 2 or 3 groups get a boarding pass, before they are all gone?

nickys

Premium Member
All new rides are pretty much that, unless you want to wait 3 hours. Non resort guests still have no chance of getting a Dwarf Hill or FOP FP.

Boarding Groups haven’t been available for more than a few minutes after official park opening EVER. This is hardly jumping to a conclusion.

I don’t see the point of those cast members at this point. What, can they each help 2 or 3 groups get a boarding pass, before they are all gone?

Did you read the chart from Touring Plans?

Since they changed to only opening BGs at park opening, there was only one day where all BGs were gone within minutes IIRC. The back-up groups have all been getting through recently, and have usually been available for a couple of hours.

disneygeek90

Did you miss this chart posted a couple minutes ago? Christmas day they were open nearly an hour and a half before the normal close. While yes some days normal groups have been closed within 5 minutes, it's also the literal busiest time of the year in the parks.

A non resort guest not receiving a FoP FP is different than not allowing them to ride at all, if that's what you were alluding to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom