News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Touchdown

I don’t understand the insistence that the procedure is fair because “you should know Disney better then that.” That may be true for everyone on this forum but, brace for it, WE ARE NOT AVERAGE DISNEY FANS.

We know better, and can manipulate things so that we get on the ride, but Biff and Karen from Omaha taking little Mark and Sophie on their once in a lifetime 7 day WDW trip is going to believe everything CMs say about opening at 8 and miss out on the ride because of this. Being cryptic during soft openings is expected and tolerated because the new ride isn’t officially open, this one is advertised as open and it just might be the only reason Biff tookon that credit card debt to take the trip, and if he misses out he is going to be very upset.

ToTBellHop

If you are going to invest... why not spend the $20 for taxi or uber and just do it right and control your own destiny?
Yeah we are planning to Lyft. Not screwing around with Disney buses on this one--one late bus to really wreck your day over this or Pandora. MK and Epcot are more forgiving because they haven't opened anything worthwhile in years.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t understand the insistence that the procedure is fair because “you should know Disney better then that.” That may be true for everyone on this forum but, brace for it, WE ARE NOT AVERAGE DISNEY FANS.

Wait for it...
... wait for it....

Biff and Karen didn't want to wait in 7hr FOP lines either...

The average Disney fans never 'win' in these ultra competitive situations. So what is new here to point out?

Joeamc

I'm not Len, but thrill-data.com has a nice graphing tool that allows you compare individual parks, attractions, etc. That being said, RotR seems to be having its best morning so far (note that they show "Wait in Minutes" as the y axis units, when it reality, it should be "Boarding Group #")
View attachment 431795
Yea. you're right. you are not Len. lol

Touchdown

Wait for it...
... wait for it....

The average Disney fans never 'win' in these ultra competitive situations. So what is new here to point out?

And your ok with that? You realize this is the first Disney ride that has ever opened that the average guest can’t ride, up until now if you were willing to wait you could ride, now you have to be an uberplanner to get on.

Just wait until Disney takes the next logical step and starts a mandatory fee to get on the newest rides.

disneygeek90

And your ok with that? You realize this is the first Disney ride that has ever opened that the average guest can’t ride, up until now if you were willing to wait you could ride, now you have to be an uberplanner to get on.

Just wait until Disney takes the next logical step and starts a mandatory fee to get on the newest rides.
Average guests aren't willing to wait in a 7 hour standby queue. For any ride.

KC00

That. Doesn't. Matter.

Everyone deserves a fair chance to get ride, even if they know they might not be able to. If Disney is explicitly telling people the park may open early but that boarding groups won't go online until 8AM, that isn't a fair chance. That is penalizing people who follow Disney's guidance and don't seek out social media for other non-official answers.

But wouldn’t these people already be out of luck if more people than the ride can accommodate had already lined up outside the gates? Let’s say they waited to open the gates and the boarding passes at 8:00 am. If the ride can only handle X amount of people in a day and X amount of people are lined up outside by 7:30 than anyone who shows up after that is basically out of luck - every person in front of them is entering the park before them and will have access to boarding passes before them anyway. I suppose some of the folks who showed up right at 8:00 might have a chance if Disney opened the gates early but not the boarding groups if they showed up at 8, got through the turnstiles quickly and were quicker on the app than some people already inside the park but that seems like it would be a small number of people.

Truthfully I do think they could have rolled this out better (EMH day especially) but I don’t think this is some diabolically unfair scheme by Disney - they are basically limited by the ride’s limited capacity at this point and ultimately whatever queue option they went with was going to end up with potentially 2/3 of the park’s daily guests being disappointed by not being able to ride.

My job sometimes involves distributing tickets for something with very limited space. Our official policy is that tickets are not distributed until 10 minutes before the start of the event however for very popular versions of these events people will show up early. We don’t officially form or manage a line but people often do it on their own. When it reaches the point where the independently formed line exceeds our capacity for the event we give people numbered tickets that are not actually tickets for the event. We tell people they have to remain in line with their numbered placeholder ticket until the official distribution time at ten minutes before the event start time and then we trade the numbered ticket for the actual ticket. So while we have officially honored our “ten minutes before” policy, anyone who arrives after the last numbered ticket is given out is out of luck unless someone abandons the line. We don’t actually want people to form a line at all - the idea is that these events are drop in and not pre-ticketed but we can’t control the behavior of the public in arriving earlier and forming a line without creating an really unpleasant scenario involving security asking people to move along. And even if we did that and then had more people show up 10 minutes before than we had tickets to distribute we would end up with chaos as everyone rushes forward for a ticket at once. This used to happen before we used the numbers and I’d spend the next 30 minutes dealing with people screaming at me about how they were technically here earlier than an another person who managed to push their way to the ticket distribution faster. We still get complaints about the number system being unfair and it sort of is but it is our imperfect solution to a less than ideal situation. We don’t advertise the number system because again, we do not actually want people to line up for 2 hours before the event and for some of these events people don’t arrive that early and we don’t use the numbers at all. We are deliberately vague when people ask about the ticketing and say that tickets are not distributed until ten minutes before but that sometimes a line will form and they may want to keep an eye out for that happening. They will often ask if they SHOULD get in a line and we will never say one way or the other because again, we don’t actually want to encourage an early line. Also now like with Disney, some people know that we use the numbers when it gets to a certain point and they definitely do have an advantage over someone walking in to one of these events for the first time. I get it, it is sort of unfair but it is the best way we can handle these events. There are many reasons for this that I won’t get into here because this is already too long but basically this is our operating plan and it is not going to change.

I suspect Disney similarly would prefer that people not line up at 4:00 am most of the time but they realize that people are going to line up regardless and once they have a number of people in line exceeding the number they can accommodate, it makes no real sense for them to hold back in boarding pass distribution. Maybe they should take a more vague approach like we do about whether distribution might happen earlier rather than the blanket statements about the time it will occur - that is my only real complaint about how they handled some of this. But I even sort of understand why they don’t do that - they maybe hoped that giving a definitive answer with a definitive time “boarding pass distribution will not start until X” that people would not arrive as early and arrive closer to X. But once more people arrived before X than they knew they had spaces to give, they moved to open because it doesn’t actually matter for anyone arriving after that point. My one quibble is that maybe sticking to the actual advertised distribution time rather than just distributing once X number of waiting people was reached could potentially help train people to not arrive so early in the future knowing that the announced time is the real time but that might not even be the case. If people know there are a very limited number of passes available they are going to want to be at the front whatever time things open so they’d probably come just as early.

Anyway TL:DR but I think the way they are doing things is definitely not perfect but I get it and I don’t know what they could do differently when the ride is so limited right now in capacity. Someone is always going to get screwed out of riding. And since they have so many breakdowns now and seem to dump the whole queue every time, letting everyone wait in standby doesn’t seem like a real answer either - it would also have elements of unfairness to it. Maybe advanced online boarding group booking that is similar to but separate from the FP system is the way to go moving forward with a set time before your trip that booking opens would be the most fair way?

Touchdown

Average guests aren't willing to wait in a 7 hour standby queue. For any ride.

Yes they are, otherwise who is in that line? There is not enough locals to wait that long and most people on this site , including myself, would never sacrifice that much park time (we would arrive early.). So if it isn’t just locals, it’s not super fans and it isn’t average guests who is it?

beertiki

We rode Rise yesterday and today. Today we got to the park about 630. It was open, walking up we heard people who were in group 33. We got in and got group 37. Did TSMM twice, RNR, and TOT. All were walk on. Shopped, rested at a table. Walked back to SWL when Group 30 was boarding and waited. Group 37 boarded about 9am, and we were leaving DHS to go have breakfast at Ale and Compass at 10am. So far it was a great day, all made possible by the virtual queue.

I think everyone will agree that a Disney vacation takes planning. If you want to ride rise, you better plan to be at the park before guest #10,000 reaches the turnstiles. On out way out of the park, I saw all the people entering and wondered how many would complain that they missed getting a boarding group, but they slept in to 830 and had a sit down breakfast at the resort.

It used to be the limiting factor to be able to ride was if you were willing to wait for hours and hours, now it's much simpler. Wake up at 6am, then relax and enjoy the rest of the morning.

disneygeek90

Yes they are, otherwise who is in that line? There is not enough locals to wait that long and most people on this site , including myself, would never sacrifice that much park time (we would arrive early.). So if it isn’t just locals, it’s not super fans and it isn’t average guests who is it?
Right now, the demand is too high to assume that an average guest that walks into the park at 10am gets to ride the most sought ought attraction in the history of theme parks. This is Star Wars. Is it ideal? No. But it is what it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom