Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

waltography

I dunno if you remember my experience. I went the weekend after the ride opened. I didn't want to take time off of work, so I flew to SoCal Saturday morning and got to Disneyland around 9:30am. Obviously, I was too late for a boarding pass that day, so I just enjoyed the parks and set out to get it on Sunday. I stayed the night at the Hilton and woke up early enough to walk over to the esplanade by 7:30am. Got into Disneyland by 7:50am and waited by the Mickey flowers ready to go. I ended up not being fast enough and getting a boarding pass that was somewhere in the 70's. I had to fly out that evening and the latest I could stay at the parks and make it back to the airport in time was like 4:30pm. There was an hour-long stall in the early afternoon and I had to leave before my boarding pass was called. Saying I was disappointed would be an understatement. At least I got two days in the parks, so it wasn't a complete waste.
Wish I'd known - I'd have taken your boarding pass that day! 😂 Was also there that opening Sunday but I'd gotten the first backup BG 82, and they ended up calling 81 as the last BG for the day. Now that was painful. 😂

Managed to snag an extra Flex pass reservation that Tuesday and got a better BG (44!), so not all was lost, haha.

TP2000

With 10 days until the official reopening of Disneyland, and a week until CM previews, I thought it’d be fitting to revive this discussion after more than a year... Who is ready for some more boarding group drama?!

Oh my gosh, count me out!

I already did it. I set my alarm, I rose before dawn. I Uber'ed to the International House of Pancakes for breakfast. I got into the park at rope drop and got up on top of the Main Street train station so my iPhone could be just a bit closer to Telstar when boarding groups opened at 9:01am. And I won with a Boarding Group in the 60's! I was a Recruit!

I did it! I rode the ride! My fellow Recruits and I did it! We went on a theme park ride!

But I'm not doing that ever again. It just wasn't worth it. 🧐

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I will say trying to get ROTR fast passes was a very stressful experience. I posted about it here. Got a really late boarding group and didn’t know if we’d make it on on all day. By the time we did get on after the roller coaster of monitoring the app and ride breaking down while we were in line it was like midnight and we were delirious because we had been up since 5am or something. With that said, now they re doing a lottery at 1pm so that changes things a lot.
I say let it be the people's choice if they wana queue up or not

DrAlice

My daughter really wants to ride this (and so do I), but my phone is incredibly slow. I think the odds are not in our favor. :confused:

The sad thing is that we specifically did NOT go to DL when Galaxy's Edge opened, because we wanted to wait for all this nuttiness to die down. And now here we are..... Oh well.

Communicora

Premium Member
My daughter really wants to ride this (and so do I), but my phone is incredibly slow. I think the odds are not in our favor. :confused:

The sad thing is that we specifically did NOT go to DL when Galaxy's Edge opened, because we wanted to wait for all this nuttiness to die down. And now here we are..... Oh well.
I followed @TP2000 's tips when I visited in February 2020 using my lowly iPhone 8+ and got a pretty low boarding group. Hope you and your daughter can do the same!

D.Silentu

How long before that demand goes away though? The attraction is the newest thing at the resort and I still believe Radiator Springs Racers is a sneak preview of the kind of lines we should expect. Not to mention that those lines have sustained in length for ten years. I don't mean to advocate for the reservation system, but lines like that really take a bite out of my day. I'm not sure if it would be worth giving up two rides during my visit just to experience the one. Wasn't Galaxy's Edge supposed to expand the park to take the edge off of the crowds?

Emmanuel

It's still gone at WDW right? I'm not sure, but if it is, it probably won't come back to DL until much farther down the road or at least when capacity gets above 50% again.

I would say until they don't need to do the physical distancing thing anymore and when the blueprint restrictions on the parks are gone. I think thats one of the main reasons for doing so to allow as much queue space to be open to accommodate it. And yeah totally when the capacity can be above 50% again

CaptinEO

It's still gone at WDW right? I'm not sure, but if it is, it probably won't come back to DL until much farther down the road or at least when capacity gets above 50% again.
I'm curious what their research and surveys are showing in regards to fastpass. I know Disney World's fastpass system was very confusing for many. I remember an insider on here saying (pre covid), that Disney was aware of many guest complaints of Disney World being too difficult to plan.

I think Disney should either ditch fastpass entirely or make it a very high priced premium that only a small amount of people would use. When everyone is using fastpass it becomes overwhelming. If they did something like Universal I don't see it becoming an issue.

shambolicdefending

Yeah, it's still gone. The queue space is still open, but it's only for guests using DAS and child swap. After our WDW trip last month, the only reason I can see for not having FP is to prevent a lot of side-by-side close contact with guests in parallel queues.

On attractions where that's unavoidable (lots of chained switchbacks), they have the big plexi-glass barriers, but I imagine it's somewhat challenging keeping those cleaned and maintained all the time. It also kind of spoils the queue experience and can feel quite claustrophobic. They probably don't want to install those where it's not absolutely necessary.

shambolicdefending

Watch the YouTube tutorials, follow the expert advice from this forum, and do a few "rehearsals", and you probably have a decent chance.

We went through the whole RotR lottery last month in Orlando and got a decent boarding group both days we were there... and our phones are not exactly cutting edge. We did have three phones trying though. We might not have made it with only one.

It's still ridiculous that Disney has to use this system, but in fairness the ride is worth the hassle. Easily the best thing they've ever built.

Disney Analyst

I can’t remember anymore... isn’t this ride only like two months old at this point, in terms of it actually being open?

Did it first open January 2020 at Disneyland? Or am I not remembering?

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Has anyone seen confirmed queue times by Disneyland? I have seen some rumors of 7am and 12pm.
Pre-Covid the queue started at park opening which will be 9am the first 60 days (or longer). Park hopping can't happen until 1pm, so that will probably be the time for the second queue. The park blog doesn't confirm this, but eludes to it:

"Guests beginning their day at Disney California Adventure Park may then enter Disneyland park with their Park Hopper ticket after 1 p.m. for their boarding group."

I suppose they could do the queue process earlier, but to answer your question, I don't believe there is an officially confirmed time.

"Distribution times for virtual queue enrollment will be twice daily, one in the morning, and one later in the day. Specific times and details will be shared at a later date on Disneyland.com."

AJFireman

I suppose they could do the queue process earlier, but to answer your question, I don't believe there is an officially confirmed time.
That is why i asked since that blog post was from the 9th. I saw someone post a cut and paste of a message looked pretty official wording but not a screenshot on another site. They havent gotten back to me where they got it. Still nothing on the website and still shows the old process currently.

DLR>WDW

That is why i asked since that blog post was from the 9th. I saw someone post a cut and paste of a message looked pretty official wording but not a screenshot on another site. They havent gotten back to me where they got it. Still nothing on the website and still shows the old process currently.
Yeah, Disney hasn’t revealed a time or if you’ll have to be scanned into the park to get the AM slot. The blog post from a few weeks ago did say that they will reveal more information soon, so best keep an ear out. With CM previews in 5 days, I imagine we’ll be getting some clarity on the process soon.

EDIT: Nevermind! Disney has now clarified the times :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom