Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

SSG

Just saw the latest Book of Boba Fett. Anyone else think these were designed with an attraction in mind?

Vespa.jpg

truecoat

Just saw the latest Book of Boba Fett. Anyone else think these were designed with an attraction in mind?

View attachment 613776

Those 4 characters are loosely based on the Mod culture of the 60's. Well dressed lower class kids who spent all their money on the way they dress and their Vespas, adding many mirrors, headlights and/or horns. In this case they take the name literally as they have "modded" themselves.

A great example for a movie to watch with mod culture would be the Who's Quadrophenia based on the same album.

Vespa.jpg

Last edited:

Phroobar

Those 4 characters are loosely based on the Mod culture of the 60's. Well dressed lower class kids who spent all their money on the way they dress and their Vespas, adding many mirrors, headlights and/or horns. In this case they take the name literally as they have "modded" themselves.

A great example for a movie to watch with mod culture would be the Who's Quadrophenia based on the same album.

View attachment 613877
So Boba Fett is working with the Mod Squad.

download.jpg

MoonRakerSCM

First two eppies we're promising if they had delivering follow up... Then that third eppy... How horrid. Some potentially story moving conflict finally happens... but instead we feature Griff's gang from Back to the Future 2 riding 90's Fanta commerical Vespas.

TP2000

Or, you could just watch this 1966 clip from the Ed Sullivan Show when Petula Clark sang this swingin' number...

It doesn't get much more Mod than that.

P.S. That long Jaguar XKE is worth a fortune today. The lesser Triumph and MG in the background are worth less. I had a 1970 Triumph Spitfire convertible that was gorgeous and got me plenty of attention, but it was a nightmare to maintain. My mother's last car was a 1986 Jaguar XJ6, and it was beautiful but a disaster maintenance-wise. Apparently, automotive masochism runs in my family.

There's a reason Great Britain no longer makes automobiles. Even if they got you winks at stoplights. ;)

Last edited:

TP2000

First two eppies we're promising if they had delivering follow up... Then that third eppy... How horrid. Some potentially story moving conflict finally happens... but instead we feature Griff's gang from Back to the Future 2 riding 90's Fanta commerical Vespas.

I had forgotten those Fanta commercials!

They were... odd. Didn't they also do the commercials with the Fanta Girls on Jetskis instead of Vespas?

truecoat

Or, you could just watch this 1966 clip from the Ed Sullivan Show when Petula Clark sang this swingin' number...

It doesn't get much more Mod than that.

P.S. That long Jaguar XKE is worth a fortune today. The lesser Triumph and MG in the background are worth less. I had a 1970 Triumph Spitfire convertible that was gorgeous and got me plenty of attention, but it was a nightmare to maintain. My mother's last car was a 1986 Jaguar XJ6, and it was beautiful but a disaster maintenance-wise. Apparently, automotive masochism runs in my family.

There's a reason Great Britain no longer makes automobiles. Even if they got you winks at stoplights. ;)

Mods listened to Ska, rhythm and blues, soul and beat music. . They were big fans of the Who and the Faces. They wore tailor made suits, drove Vespas or Lambretta scooters and hated rockers.

Dapale

Rode Rise yesterday night (7pm) with a posted 65-minute wait. Waited 16 minutes to reach the first preshow. Lightning Lane was not available to purchase in the last hour (7pm - 8pm) of operation. Everything was operational (including full A mode Kylo at the end) except that Canons are still in B mode (with the cars acting as A mode).

Emmanuel

Got evacuated off Rise today. Since it was past its scheduled closing time, we weren't able to use the multiple experience LLs they gave us on Rise but could use it on another ride.

Mine is valid until the end of February presumably since I have a Magic Key. As a result, its valid for Rise before the end of day on Feb 27th

Dapale

Rode Rise today (1pm) with a posted 75-minute wait. Waited 56 minutes to reach the first preshow. All effects were working except the canons (B mode still, 1/3 canons. Vehicles acted as B mode).

Going from preshow 1 -> preshow 2 (shuttle), they seemed to be disorganized today and accidentally sent in more people than were allowed in one shuttle. We had to watch people go into the shuttle, watch the doors close, see and hear everything reset, and wait until the doors to the next preshow opened. So, unfortunately it was kind of an “illusion” breaker to new visitors as clearly the ship isn’t “taking off”

Wendy Pleakley

Rode Rise today (1pm) with a posted 75-minute wait. Waited 56 minutes to reach the first preshow. All effects were working except the canons (B mode still, 1/3 canons. Vehicles acted as B mode).

Going from preshow 1 -> preshow 2 (shuttle), they seemed to be disorganized today and accidentally sent in more people than were allowed in one shuttle. We had to watch people go into the shuttle, watch the doors close, see and hear everything reset, and wait until the doors to the next preshow opened. So, unfortunately it was kind of an “illusion” breaker to new visitors as clearly the ship isn’t “taking off”

I was told that the current canons B mode is permanent, as that segment was resulting in backups and the attraction going down.

This is apparently the permanent mode for the canons now, on both coasts.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

If true, that news about the canons is such a bummer. This ride is the new Indiana Jones Adventure; if an effect malfunctions, the scene is ruined.

What also hurts this ride is lack of enthusiasm (and perhaps acting talent...) on the part of CMs. My sense is that it's deeply unpopular to criticize CMs for any reason, especially during the covid era when the park is short-staffed and CMs are overworked. However, the storytelling and pacing of Rise require CMs to deliver some at-least-halfway-decent acting performances; if they don't, the ride experience is significantly diminished IMO. Perhaps the blame really lies with the Imagineers, who designed the attraction this way. Either way, the net result is the same.

I did Rise in February 2020 and it was clear the CMs were excited to be part of something new and huge and groundbreaking. So much energy as CMs hurried all of us "recruits" from the Rey hologram cave into Lt. Bek's ship, or when they broke us out of Adam Driver's interrogation room ("Looks like you got more than you signed up for! We're gettin' you out of here!"). Cheesy, but fun.

I went in December 2021 and the difference was night and day. It feels almost tedious to walk from preshow to preshow when CMs are only minimally participating in the experience. It's cringe-inducing when Lt. Bek's ship is boarded by a 19 year-old who looks exhausted and just completely over it. And it's awkward when the rebels who save you from the interrogation room never greet you or look you in the eye, but rather shout safety instructions as loud and monotone as they can and then berate someone's grandpa for failing to pull on the dirty yellow strap.

This turned into a rant. Maybe I'm cynical. I don't know. But the ride feels like it's already in decline, which is such a bummer. I really don't blame the CMs -- I wouldn't want these gigs either. But the attraction inherently relies upon CM enthusiasm.

The highlight of my Dec 2021 ride was when, following the Rey/BB8 preshow, all of us recruits stepped outside to board Lt. Bek's ship and were greeted by some Batuu rebels as well as... I kid you not, a CM dressed in Main Street U.S.A plaid. Not sure how or why this would ever happen, but it did. She was standing and chatting with one of the Batuu people. Disney used to be better than this, right?

Phroobar

Yes. Disneyland used to be better than that until the internet hordes made it "hip" and descended like locusts in the early 2000s. Now there is nothing we can do. People always ruin good things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom