Star Wars Rise of the Resistance Discussion

smooch

I wish TLJ never included the Canto Bight scene or however it's spelled, I honestly enjoyed the rest of the movie, Kylo and Rey interacting was so amazing and the use of the force communication was a really cool concept. TROS was so disconnected from everything that happened, Palpatine was just suddenly back and they had to cram so much retconning in that the movie felt rushed and it was constant action, never a slow moment which is actually a bad thing unlike some viewers might think. At least we got great Star Wars content with Mandalorian.

SuddenStorm

The Last Jedi is such brilliant film making. Easily the best Star Wars not from the 1980's. I wish TROS actually followed up on it...

1579226964227.png

TROR

I wish TLJ never included the Canto Bight scene or however it's spelled, I honestly enjoyed the rest of the movie, Kylo and Rey interacting was so amazing and the use of the force communication was a really cool concept. TROS was so disconnected from everything that happened, Palpatine was just suddenly back and they had to cram so much retconning in that the movie felt rushed and it was constant action, never a slow moment which is actually a bad thing unlike some viewers might think. At least we got great Star Wars content with Mandalorian.
Canto Bight really isn’t that bad. It serves its purpose in teaching Poe and Finn their lessons and is an interesting world we don’t see in Star Wars.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Canto Bight really isn’t that bad. It serves its purpose in teaching Poe and Finn their lessons and is an interesting world we don’t see in Star Wars.
No, it is pointless story wise. Can't tell if you really like Last Jedi or trying to be contraian for contraian sake or trolling. No one could possibly think that movie has any value and still say they love the original trilogy. The contrast is night and day quality wise.

TROR

No, it is pointless story wise. Can't tell if you really like Last Jedi or trying to be contraian for contraian sake or trolling. No one could possibly think that movie has any value and still say they love the original trilogy. The contrast is night and day quality wise.
The Last Jedi is the most true any post RotJ material has ever been to Luke’s character and perfectly understands the story of Star Wars.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
No. It ruins Luke's arc and makes him unrecognizeable.
He tried to train his nephew and he ended up turning to the dark side. He failed in the same way Obi-Wan did when Anakin turned. This not only led him into feeling like a failure, but also to question whether the "dogmatic views of the Jedi", as Palpatine phrased it in RotS, really were any better than the Sith. Questioning the view that the Jedi were just self-righteous force wielders that suppressed the full abilities of the force. Questioning the idea that the force is just a tool and how you use it is what makes you good or evil, not the abilities themselves or the order you choose to pledge your allegiance to.

I loved the direction Rian Johnson was taking things, but Abrams had to reverse it all because the fans were all #hesnotmyluke or whatever. Apparently deeper thinking about philosophical issues is not what most fans want. So be it. Action action action!!

RobWDW1971

I loved the direction Rian Johnson was taking things, but Abrams had to reverse it all because the fans were all #hesnotmyluke or whatever. Apparently deeper thinking about philosophical issues is not what most fans want. So be it. Action action action!!
Apparently they didn't want just retreaded action scenes either as it will gross significantly less than TLJ domestically (even less than the much smaller budgeted Rogue One). It's not complicated and the nearly universal enjoyment of The Mandalorian is the recent example - everybody simply wants interesting characters, new and compelling stories, and creative storytelling.

Domestic BO:
TFA - $937M
TLJ - $620M
TROS - ~$510M

DarkMetroid567

we are allowed to like whatever we want

last jedi's characterization and cinematography are far beyond the remaining sequels, prequels, and return of the jedi

yensidtlaw1969

SO . . . How about that Rise of the Resistance???

Was down at the World for the Marathon races this past weekend and was able to get on Rise twice, once on Friday and then again on Wednesday. I've kept myself well read on the Boarding Group process so it was easy enough, though I'm #TeamFreshOpen after trying the reload of the app page that first day and getting nowhere for what felt like an eternity before finally closing the app to start over and getting group 66, which was called around 12:15 and got us on around 2:00.

I think I'm the rare bird who was glad he'd watched videos before getting on the ride - it goes by so, so fast in person and I felt like I wouldn't have been able to keep up with everything that was going on around me if I hadn't gone in with an idea of what was coming. Generally I think that's the mark of a good attraction because it makes you want to get right back in line, but when you're in a position like we are now where you can't get right back in line it makes for a potentially unsatisfying experience upfront. I wanted more and knew I wasn't getting it, and that was a bit frustrating.

My cousin who rode with me is a big, big Star Wars fan where I am decidedly not, and he went in completely blind - his response afterward was that he needed to sit down for a bit and process the way his mind had just been blown (which we gladly did over a pretzel at the Baseline Tap House), but it was hard to get a sense of how much actually stuck with him in terms of what we'd just witnessed. But he was clearly bowled over, and drove in from far out of town again on Tuesday night so we could get back on Wednesday morning (BG 32, since I was faster on the app for joining #TeamFreshOpen).

I thought the Boarding Group system worked well enough, though I'll say again that I don't want Disney to make a habit out of it. It felt worthwhile for an attraction as unique and special as Rise, and since the ride isn't reliable yet it makes sense, but if I ever have to try to use it for anything else it'll be too soon. And as I mentioned elsewhere on the boards, the days where I didn't get up early to try to get a Boarding Group were days I definitely felt a massive drop of interest in visiting DHS. It made me want to hold off on that park until a day where I was getting the best it had to offer.

Curious Constance

SO . . . How about that Rise of the Resistance???

Was down at the World for the Marathon races this past weekend and was able to get on Rise twice, once on Friday and then again on Wednesday. I've kept myself well read on the Boarding Group process so it was easy enough, though I'm #TeamFreshOpen after trying the reload of the app page that first day and getting nowhere for what felt like an eternity before finally closing the app to start over and getting group 66, which was called around 12:15 and got us on around 2:00.

I think I'm the rare bird who was glad he'd watched videos before getting on the ride - it goes by so, so fast in person and I felt like I wouldn't have been able to keep up with everything that was going on around me if I hadn't gone in with an idea of what was coming. Generally I think that's the mark of a good attraction because it makes you want to get right back in line, but when you're in a position like we are now where you can't get right back in line it makes for a potentially unsatisfying experience upfront. I wanted more and knew I wasn't getting it, and that was a bit frustrating.

My cousin who rode with me is a big, big Star Wars fan where I am decidedly not, and he went in completely blind - his response afterward was that he needed to sit down for a bit and process the way his mind had just been blown (which we gladly did over a pretzel at the Baseline Tap House), but it was hard to get a sense of how much actually stuck with him in terms of what we'd just witnessed. But he was clearly bowled over, and drove in from far out of town again on Tuesday night so we could get back on Wednesday morning (BG 32, since I was faster on the app for joining #TeamFreshOpen).

I thought the Boarding Group system worked well enough, though I'll say again that I don't want Disney to make a habit out of it. It felt worthwhile for an attraction as unique and special as Rise, and since the ride isn't reliable yet it makes sense, but if I ever have to try to use it for anything else it'll be too soon. And as I mentioned elsewhere on the boards, the days where I didn't get up early to try to get a Boarding Group were days I definitely felt a massive drop of interest in visiting DHS. It made me want to hold off on that park until a day where I was getting the best it had to offer.
#TeamFreshOpen stands for opening the app right at 7am fresh, as opposed to hitting refresh on the already opened app at 7am?

Also, are you saying your group was called at 1215 and you still had to wait in a line until 2pm???

yensidtlaw1969

#TeamFreshOpen stands for opening the app right at 7am fresh, as opposed to hitting refresh on the already opened app at 7am?

Also, are you saying your group was called at 1215 and you still had to wait in a line until 2pm???
#TeamFreshOpen does mean that, yes. The first time I tried hitting refresh and after 5 refreshes getting me nowhere I killed the app and tried Fresh Open and got BG 66. Next time I just tried Fresh Open at 7:00 on the dot and got BG 32.

My group was called at 12:15 but we were at MK, so by the time we got to Studios and made our way back to check in it was around 2:00. Sorry for the confusion! We'd been keeping an eye on BG progress so when we saw 62 had been called we left Fantasyland and started heading towards the bus to DHS - by the time we were approaching Town Square I got the notification that our group was called. Line was long for DHS bus so we got a Minnie Van for the first time, which took a minute to figure out and then had to wait for it to show up. So we ended up making it in time, but it took a little longer than I'd expected - that 2 hour window goes fast if you're not in DHS already.

Once we got on line it felt like 20 mins or so to wait before we got to the Preshow. Lucky us, everything was working - I had read reports that earlier that morning they were skipping the preshows and was NOT hyped about that being my first ride. Guess it got worked out by the time we arrived.

Wednesday was BG 32 and we just stayed in the park since we knew it'd be earlier, and it was - similar 20 minute-ish wait, all elements working. Luckily we got to ride the "other vehicle" - first time we went up the elevator on the side of the AT-AT, this time we went up the elevator facing the front of the other AT-AT. I hate to pick sides, but I thought that version of the scene was more effective. The guns coming down vs the video of the Storm Trooper grabbing a blaster . . . one is much more dramatic, interesting, and noticeable.

By the time we exited the ride I clocked the time at 9:15 AM. So it seems like it had been a good day for ops at that point. Though it seemed like they got caught up in the 40's later that day.

Curious Constance

#TeamFreshOpen does mean that, yes. The first time I tried hitting refresh and after 5 refreshes getting me nowhere I killed the app and tried Fresh Open and got BG 66. Next time I just tried Fresh Open at 7:00 on the dot and got BG 32.

My group was called at 12:15 but we were at MK, so by the time we got to Studios and made our way back to check in it was around 2:00. Sorry for the confusion! We'd been keeping an eye on BG progress so when we saw 62 had been called we left Fantasyland and started heading towards the bus to DHS - by the time we were approaching Town Square I got the notification that our group was called. Line was long for DHS bus so we got a Minnie Van for the first time, which took a minute to figure out and then had to wait for it to show up. So we ended up making it in time, but it took a little longer than I'd expected - that 2 hour window goes fast if you're not in DHS already.

Once we got on line it felt like 20 mins or so to wait before we got to the Preshow. Lucky us, everything was working - I had read reports that earlier that morning they were skipping the preshows and was NOT hyped about that being my first ride. Guess it got worked out by the time we arrived.

Wednesday was BG 32 and we just stayed in the park since we knew it'd be earlier, and it was - similar 20 minute-ish wait, all elements working. Luckily we got to ride the "other vehicle" - first time we went up the elevator on the side of the AT-AT, this time we went up the elevator facing the front of the other AT-AT. I hate to pick sides, but I thought that version of the scene was more effective. The guns coming down vs the video of the Storm Trooper grabbing a blaster . . . one is much more dramatic, interesting, and noticeable.

By the time we exited the ride I clocked the time at 9:15 AM. So it seems like it had been a good day for ops at that point. Though it seemed like they got caught up in the 40's later that day.
Phew! That’s a relief that it’s not a long wait after you’re called. Thanks for the explanation! Making myself a note to open the app fresh at 7am if I have to deal with any of this in June for anything :)
I can totally see that working better especially with my phone that can be lagging and sluggish in crappy WIFI.

yensidtlaw1969

Phew! That’s a relief that it’s not a long wait after you’re called. Thanks for the explanation! Making myself a note to open the app fresh at 7am if I have to deal with any of this in June for anything :)
I can totally see that working better especially with my phone that can be lagging and sluggish in crappy WIFI.
I was hesitant to try it because I know if you open fresh you have to wait through the loading screen with the castle and the fireworks, which seemed like wasting valuable time, but reload wasn't getting me anywhere and I was with someone who'd traveled far from out of town that day to get on Rise so I went for the nuclear option and started from scratch. I know some people swear by the reload system, but this was my experience!

The wait once you actually scanned in was totally reasonable. Which may also have just been my luck, because the ride could have shut down and had the whole queue dumped as has happened to people before, but they seem to be keeping the line manageable by only calling so many groups at a time. If things are going well, it seems you don't have to expect an exorbitant wait once you scan through and get in line.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom