Star Wars Launch Bay coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios later this year

Chris82

I just still have a hard time imagining why they couldn't put this where Watto's Grotto is, or the empty Jack Sparrow soundstage, or even use the new Sunset Showcase location for this AND keep the fairly popular animation attraction still.

I'd guess there's an Excel spreadsheet reason to shut down as many attractions as possible. Why else shut down the tram tour and then not do anything with the space? Or replace Jack Sparrow with a "lounge"? Tony Baxter said in one of his interviews that during the 90's Disney kept pushing for more and more attractions to be shut down because it decreased costs - so they lost submarines, sky buckets, and so on. We need to come up with a way to quantify and monetize the effect of empty show buildings - like every time I walk past the "lounge" in disgust I get a .25 refund on my ticket. I suspect that the all-or-nothing nature of ticket purchases incentivizes Disney to keep closing until they hit the threshold of "why bother with this park."

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Was kind of hoping to see more immersive themeing (like what seemed to be shown in the concept art) throughout the attraction. What they provided is a much "cleaner"/museum like "exhibit", which is okay, but it's just not as immersive as I was hoping (though I guess given the time frame and the fact that [I assume] this will be a temporary exhibit, I guess that is to be expected). I "enjoy" Star Wars, sure, but the idea of a couple meet and greets and some props/models from the movies has limited appeal to me. Hopefully, models/concept art of Star Wars Land (and possibly other projects across Hollywood Studios/WDW in general) will come soon... at least for me, that would be much more interesting...

twebber55

Was kind of hoping to see more immersive themeing (like what seemed to be shown in the concept art) throughout the attraction. What they provided is a much "cleaner"/museum like "exhibit", which is okay, but it's just not as immersive as I was hoping (though I guess given the time frame and the fact that [I assume] this will be a temporary exhibit, I guess that is to be expected). I "enjoy" Star Wars, sure, but the idea of a couple meet and greets and some props/models from the movies has limited appeal to me. Hopefully, models/concept art of Star Wars Land (and possibly other projects across Hollywood Studios/WDW in general) will come soon... at least for me, that would be much more interesting...

this is what would interest me more than anything other than that this museum would be a one time deal

JohnD

Not sure why the disappointment. Disney was very clear about what this experience would be...a meet and greet with a few static exhibits. And that is exactly what they delivered. And it seems spacious, clean and well-themed. I think it's great (judging by the photos) for a meet and greet area.

I agree. How is it any different from the animation exhibits that were already there? In fact, I would argue there was less in the space for the animation exhibits before SW.

Ignohippo

I just still have a hard time imagining why they couldn't put this where Watto's Grotto is, or the empty Jack Sparrow soundstage, or even use the new Sunset Showcase location for this AND keep the fairly popular animation attraction still.

The Jack Sparrow soundstage (as well as OMD and TLM) are most-likely being demoed; Watto's Gratto building is in flux and most likely either demoed or re-purposed by the end of next year; the Sunset Soundstage is a multi-purpose room that can't hold a permanent exhibit because it is built to act as a theater as well.

Star Wars will remain in this building until the full land is complete. My biggest gripe is that they should have used one room in the building as a "Hero" space and included M&G's for Incredibles, the Marvel properties they can utilize (Guardians, etc.), and Hiro with a robotic Baymax (rather than having a CM in a costume).

I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually kept, If you think about it and look at the TSL pictures, they could use that soundstage for any use really..I'm thinking they would probably make that building a series of TS themed shops, unless they remove it so they could build a building housing various shops and push it back to create the TSL entrance. However the entrance to Pixar Place would be blocked off since all that would be backstage, making people go through the side of TSM and the JS Soundstage that way they go around..depending on how they designed it, if they do keep the JS soundstage, then in between TSM and JS that would form the entrance to TSL which would end up going to where the arrow is pointing...However this is all off topic of the original thread ;)

Attachments

• concept.jpg
    concept.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 91

TP2000

This place looks AWFUL. Looks like they just repainted and put up some archways like one would at a convention. Lighting design is terrible.

Agreed that the lighting design here is not good.

While the exhibits appear to be clones of the Disneyland version that opened last month, the lighting here for the DHS version is very different from Disneyland's. The DHS Launch Bay is lit up like a standard conference hall, or a nice place for a sunny Sunday brunch. It should be dark and moody and space-y.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Agreed that the lighting design here is not good.

While the exhibits appear to be clones of the Disneyland version that opened last month, the lighting here for the DHS version is very different from Disneyland's. The DHS Launch Bay is lit up like a standard conference hall, or a nice place for a sunny Sunday brunch. It should be dark and moody and space-y.
If you are judging the light based on the photos here, please have another look. We had a processing issue that initially displayed them a fair bit brighter than they are in person. They have been reworked now to closer represent the real-life version.

Apologies to anyone who was misled by that.

The corrections are in place at
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...1dec2015-star-wars-launch-bay-opening-day.htm

TP2000

If you are judging the light based on the photos here, please have another look. We had a processing issue that initially displayed them a fair bit brighter than they are in person. They have been reworked now to closer represent the real-life version.

Apologies to anyone who was misled by that.

The corrections are in place at
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...1dec2015-star-wars-launch-bay-opening-day.htm

That's very good to know! And kind of you to fill us in on.

The newly edited photos look better lighting-wise, and put me less in the mood for sunny Sunday brunch. :D

mm52200

Did anyone find it odd that each of character meet and greets and the main entrance to the attraction were all set up for FP+ but they aren't being utilized yet? Do we think that's because they weren't sure on the opening date or do you think they changed their mind?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom