Star Wars Launch Bay coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios later this year

WhatJaneSays

Not necessarily true. Props and costuming departments are typically required to make multiple of the same props or costumes just in-case something were to happen to the original. Example: swords used and carried by the stars in movies such as Hobbit, I believe I watch a video extra included with the Blu-ray in which they explained that they had made 3 of each sword... or was it 5. I wouldn't call the extras reproductions, but rather full blown props, even if they went unused.
I never said anything about actual movie props. I'm very aware about how prop and costuming departments work which is why I'm fairly certain that none of the props or costumes that will be displayed in either Launch Bay are from the movie production. Rather they would be produced as replicas specifically for the Launch Bays.

polynesiangirl

This seems like a good place for this rant this morning. ;)

I have a 5-year-old son who is obsessed, OBSESSED with Star Wars right now. I would say easily half of everything he says to me within the past few weeks is somehow Star Wars-related (this has required me to spend a good deal of time reacquainting myself with particular details of the saga so that I can be prepared at any moment to answer some Very Important Inquiry about X-wings.) He also is obsessed with Disney World.

I, too, have always loved Star Wars. So does my husband. Oh and we also have a younger son too, who no doubt will be sucked in eventually. Oh, and we all love Disney World.

Basically what I am getting at here is that occasionally I am reminded all over again that Disney and Lucasfilm, with their powers now combined into an unstoppable menace of marketing and geekery, are diabolical geniuses. I am preparing myself for the many thousands of occasions I am going to have over the next decade-plus to wheel a dump truck full of money up to Disney's doorstep (where's the Fry "Shut up and take my money" meme when you need it?) Their 30-year-long endeavor to capture my soul and all my money will at last be complete. I have never felt such a weird mix of feeling totally played and at the same time being like "THIS IS AMAZING, here, I'll pay for premium content! Whatever you want! Just take my money already!"

Crazydisneyfanluke

This seems like a good place for this rant this morning. ;)

I have a 5-year-old son who is obsessed, OBSESSED with Star Wars right now. I would say easily half of everything he says to me within the past few weeks is somehow Star Wars-related (this has required me to spend a good deal of time reacquainting myself with particular details of the saga so that I can be prepared at any moment to answer some Very Important Inquiry about X-wings.) He also is obsessed with Disney World.

I, too, have always loved Star Wars. So does my husband. Oh and we also have a younger son too, who no doubt will be sucked in eventually. Oh, and we all love Disney World.

Basically what I am getting at here is that occasionally I am reminded all over again that Disney and Lucasfilm, with their powers now combined into an unstoppable menace of marketing and geekery, are diabolical geniuses. I am preparing myself for the many thousands of occasions I am going to have over the next decade-plus to wheel a dump truck full of money up to Disney's doorstep (where's the Fry "Shut up and take my money" meme when you need it?) Their 30-year-long endeavor to capture my soul and all my money will at last be complete. I have never felt such a weird mix of feeling totally played and at the same time being like "THIS IS AMAZING, here, I'll pay for premium content! Whatever you want! Just take my money already!"

TP2000

It's not just you. The crowds and lines at Disneyland's Star Wars Launch Bay and Season Of The Force are epic. And it's just a slower week in November, not even Thanksgiving. The reaction will obviously be the same when it opens at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

This photo was plastered on the front page of the local Orange County Register newspaper here in SoCal two days ago. It pretty much sums it all up, even if it's a tad creepy.

nxxr8x-21.lo.disney.superherohq.cy.jpg

Full Launch Bay story is here http://www.ocregister.com/articles/star-692354-wars-spider.html

YodaMan

It's not just you. The crowds and lines at Disneyland's Star Wars Launch Bay and Season Of The Force are epic. And it's just a slower week in November, not even Thanksgiving. The reaction will obviously be the same when it opens at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

This photo was plastered on the front page of the local Orange County Register newspaper here in SoCal two days ago. It pretty much sums it all up, even if it's a tad creepy.

nxxr8x-21.lo.disney.superherohq.cy.jpg

Full Launch Bay story is here http://www.ocregister.com/articles/star-692354-wars-spider.html

And unsurprisingly, Disney is already adding blockout dates for most of December to prepare accordingly. Crowds are already ungodly high because it's the last year for the Osborne Lights (and it's not even Thanksgiving), did we need to add another large draw like Star Wars? I think the park would have done fine attendance-wise through the start of January without it, but now the holidays will just be MK-level chaos.

polynesiangirl

It's seriously embarrassing! I really didn't realize how much value I placed on this particular Disney acquisition -- and how very dangerous to my wallet it is that two of the things I associate so much with my youth are not only together, but now I can share them with my kids . And I wasn't even in the key, most-susceptible age groups for either of the previous 2 rounds of Star Wars movies (I was born a couple years after Ep 6 came out, and was already a teenager when Ep 1 came out -- though in fairness, I guess by then I was in the throes of a life-threatening crush on Ewan McGregor so maybe I was in a target market after all, hahaha.)

I just picture a bunch of people at Disney reading this and high-fiving each other right now and buying themselves second homes. Well played, Mickey. Well played. ;)

CinematicFusion

Word is The Force Awakens is already over 50 million in ticket sales in the States.
Looks like this is going to be one huge opening.
If the movie is good, it might challenge all time high in America.
Worldwide? China would have to fall in love with it.

Ignohippo

Word is The Force Awakens is already over 50 million in ticket sales in the States.
Looks like this is going to be one huge opening.
If the movie is good, it might challenge all time high in America.
Worldwide? China would have to fall in love with it.

It'll challenge the all-time high even of it sucks. Look at how much Eps I-III made.

Ignohippo

I may be just an overly-amped SW geek, but is anyone else disappointed with the news that the props and costumes on display in the Launch Bay are replicas, and not real props from the movies? I find it beyond disappointing and actually a bit insulting.

So, there's an amazing prop and costume exhibition currently going on in NYC, Shanghai has a life-size Ep. VII x-wing on display in their airport (which would be amazing in the Animation Courtyard, btw), and WDW is getting displays of fan-made replicas that anyone can buy on any 501st message board?

Seriously, there ought to be plenty of this stuff to go around. They literally made hundreds of Stormtrooper costumes and weapons for the movie. Parks and Resorts can't get a few for display for what will be a major attraction?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I may be just an overly-amped SW geek, but is anyone else disappointed with the news that the props and costumes on display in the Launch Bay are replicas, and not real props from the movies? I find it beyond disappointing and actually a bit insulting.

So, there's an amazing prop and costume exhibition currently going on in NYC, Shanghai has a life-size Ep. VII x-wing on display in their airport (which would be amazing in the Animation Courtyard, btw), and WDW is getting displays of fan-made replicas that anyone can buy on any 501st message board?

Seriously, there ought to be plenty of this stuff to go around. They literally made hundreds of Stormtrooper costumes and weapons for the movie. Parks and Resorts can't get a few for display for what will be a major attraction?

That would cost MONEY, Remember the Studios and P&R are different B/U's so the Studio charges for those props. It's just another proof that WDW really does not give a damn about guest experience 'it's good enough for the rubes'.

For crying out loud the KSC visitor center had actual props from Star Trek including the Captain's Chair from 'Undiscovered Country' Man that was an awesome scene "Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war..."

Last edited:

WhatJaneSays

Nope. Not even a little. I know exactly how tightly prop and costume departments keep reigns on items that are still part of active productions. Even if there may be dozens of a thing made they are all still one of a kind and in many cases imposable to replace or repair. Replicas cast and finished from the originals are as amazing to look at.

And I hate to break it to people but many props and costumes made for production are not always particularly well made, are incomplete, and many times not that impressive to look at. But replicas made for display are finished with the intent to be scrutinized as a complete item encompassing how something is realized on screen.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Nope. Not even a little. I know exactly how tightly prop and costume departments keep reigns on items that are still part of active productions. Even if there may be dozens of a thing made they are all still one of a kind and in many cases imposable to replace or repair. Replicas cast and finished from the originals are as amazing to look at.

And I hate to break it to people but many props and costumes made for production are not always particularly well made, are incomplete, and many times not that impressive to look at. But replicas made for display are finished with the intent to be scrutinized as a complete item encompassing how something is realized on screen.

I beg to differ in the late lamented 'Star Trek Experience' at the Las Vegas Hilton they had a museum of actual props what was even better was that they would tell you the episode and the actor who used the prop. Part of the wonder at least for me was how did they go from the prop to what was seen onscreen.

jakeman

I beg to differ in the late lamented 'Star Trek Experience' at the Las Vegas Hilton they had a museum of actual props what was even better was that they would tell you the episode and the actor who used the prop. Part of the wonder at least for me was how did they go from the prop to what was seen onscreen.
You skipped this part:
...part of active productions.
Episode VIII production is probably right around the corner (not to mention any spinoffs).

The Star Trek Experience opened in 1998. Two Star Trek series has already finished up their run and one more only had a year left at the time it opened. Plenty of props they no longer would use by that point in time.

EDIT: I hate I never got out there to see it. Especially Quarks.

Last edited:

SirLink

How do you know they were actual props - they could have been replicas to.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I really didn't realize how much value I placed on this particular Disney acquisition
Well, Disney placed $4 billion on it -- you probably don't place quite as much.

However, I have a feeling that $4 billion is going to wind up as a huge bargain in the end. Heck, with all of the merchandise out there already, it almost feels like Disney must-ve made back half of it already.

polynesiangirl

Well, Disney placed $4 billion on it -- you probably don't place quite as much.

However, I have a feeling that $4 billion is going to wind up as a huge bargain in the end. Heck, with all of the merchandise out there already, it almost feels like Disney must-ve made back half of it already.

Quite true -- my cash outlay isn't on par with Mickey's, and thank god for that. ;)

Yeah, I will tell you as someone whose house has been all but taken over by Star Wars, they are going to be positively swimming in cash.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You skipped this part:
Episode VIII production is probably right around the corner (not to mention any spinoffs).

The Star Trek Experience opened in 1998. Two Star Trek series has already finished up their run and one more only had a year left at the time it opened. Plenty of props they no longer would use by that point in time.

EDIT: I hate I never got out there to see it. Especially Quarks.

Sorry you missed a really great experience being served by a ferengi bartender was different to say the least. There were a bunch of Klingons as roaming characters in Quarks the rides were pretty good as well combinations of motion simulators and sets. Seeing the Enterprise D on the Strip at the end was amazing along with the TV broadcast which reported a large ufo see over the strip

Also had a full scale version of the bridge of the enterprise

flynnibus

Premium Member

When we goto a museum to see a piece... It's because it's the original... With all its flaws... Not because it's the best example of something. You want that history... That "this is the actual item held by so-and-so".

You might as well settle for photos...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom