Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mike S

To be fair, they probably don't know. Assuming they are coming from a Star Wars prospective as opposed to a parks one. Of course, the correct thing to do would be to learn more about such situations before making commentary on them, but why do that when uninformed rants draw eyeballs?

I mean, the RotR situation is very similar (though handled somewhat differently) to Hagrid's just a few months ago. It's nothing all that remarkable for a theme park.
Hagrid still has issues. At least I think.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, the mess that is trying to ride Rise of the Resistance aside, I hope the madness and the fact that DHS has been absolutely packed has finally silenced all the "Galaxy's Edge is a ghost town, a failure, everyone hates it" people. They're seeing the crowds they built up the infrastructure for. This is what they wanted.
Not exactly. Early days yet but let’s see how things go. Then we can talk details When we can.

Surferboy567

Source: Ordinary Adventures

Turns out Rise’s opening was alot more involved...I had no idea about the hondo parts as well as the other cool interactions. Only thing I knew about was initial dedication, porg thing, then lightsaber fight. Super cool their was more to it! If you haven’t seen it I would give it a watch it’s a prequel to rise. Sure the acting is cheesy but its super cool this is what galaxy‘s edge entertainment should always be like.

Jenny72

To be fair, I don't think the fact that DHS is currently overrun exactly negates the criticisms people had of GE. The fact is, this excitement didn't happen until RotR opened. If anything, I think the current excitement validates at least some of the criticism -- that the rest of GE is a bit lifeless or dreary, that it lacks a little "something," etc. We can see now that people can and do get excited about Star Wars stuff, if it is done really well. It sort of highlights the fact that this ride design is what they got right, and despite a lot of money and attention to detail, the rest of GE just doesn't 100% resonate. Hopefully the ride will draw people in enough that the rest of the land can be appreciated, but it's probably the case that the past few months don't "prove" that GE is a wild success or a dismal failure, but rather a (pretty fascinating, if you ask me) mix of the two.

The_Jobu

but rather a (pretty fascinating, if you ask me) mix of the two.

It really is quite interesting isnt it? They stumbled out the gates, but how much of that was because of them being greedy? Now it's full, but is it full enough? Great rides are great rides, they put people in seats, especically when they're the hot new thing. Once some time passes, some great papers could be written about this stuff, though we will never have access to all the behind the scenes comments about their expectations vs reality.

RobWDW1971

To be fair, I don't think the fact that DHS is currently overrun exactly negates the criticisms people had of GE. The fact is, this excitement didn't happen until RotR opened. If anything, I think the current excitement validates at least some of the criticism -- that the rest of GE is a bit lifeless or dreary, that it lacks a little "something," etc. We can see now that people can and do get excited about Star Wars stuff, if it is done really well. It sort of highlights the fact that this ride design is what they got right, and despite a lot of money and attention to detail, the rest of GE just doesn't 100% resonate. Hopefully the ride will draw people in enough that the rest of the land can be appreciated, but it's probably the case that the past few months don't "prove" that GE is a wild success or a dismal failure, but rather a (pretty fascinating, if you ask me) mix of the two.
Now having more tourists in the land on their way to ROTR doesn't in any way address the fundamental creative issues with Batuu or MFSR - as many predicted, ROTR's expected success is just now a distraction from the missed opportunities of Batuu and MFSR, but nothing has changed.

But watching the actual excitement and FOMO around ROTR does fully illustrate by comparison the complete lack of energy that there was around Batuu/MFSR since opening. But as those on these boards will tell you, that wasn't the product, that was Dorian, auto sales, dog ate my homework, anything but the public's rejection of what they actually built.

Thrilled ROTR is open and hope they use that energy and success to go back and fix the other two elements now.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

I feel like after the buzz and hype over The Rise of Skywalker settles, ending the current trilogy, they might dial back on the rule that the land takes place between The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker, no exceptions.

Tom Morrow

I’d hope. Adding music would be nice too.
I was originally against adding more music, but then it was suggested that it should be ambient music in various styles that feel appropriate for the areas and have hints of the famous themes, and I am onboard with this and think it would improve the atmosphere. I definitely don't want the direct scores from the films played anywhere though.

ToTBellHop

BB8 is cute. People go for that. Plus that whole thing fits the idea of a M&G which are geared towards children. Children can be scared of Darth Vader. The base that wants to really see him want him in a ride, not to waste time seeing someone in a costume.
A robot in a costume > a man in a costume?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom