Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

Regarding the music, I think a reasonable compromise would be to use the well known music at the entrances to the land as a way of "welcoming" guests but not necessarily in the marketplace.

Also, the First Order area could use their theme music in the area as a bit of propaganda similar to how the Imperial March was displayed as in universe in Solo and Rebels.

BoarderPhreak

Regarding the music, I think a reasonable compromise would be to use the well known music at the entrances to the land as a way of "welcoming" guests but not necessarily in the marketplace.

Also, the First Order area could use their theme music in the area as a bit of propaganda similar to how the Imperial March was displayed as in universe in Solo and Rebels.
I can get behind this. I was just thinking; theme music when you're entering. I like the idea of a hint of ominous theme music near Imperial spots.

The thing with music is, it would interfere with the dialogs by the TIE fighter, meet-n-greet encounters with Rey and Chewie and the sounds that they already pipe in; ships taking off and landing, etc. I think it's more realistic, rather than theatrical this way. But it does feel like a break from the norm. IIRC, Pandora doesn't have any theme/background music either?

Mickeyboof

I can get behind this. I was just thinking; theme music when you're entering. I like the idea of a hint of ominous theme music near Imperial spots.

The thing with music is, it would interfere with the dialogs by the TIE fighter, meet-n-greet encounters with Rey and Chewie and the sounds that they already pipe in; ships taking off and landing, etc. I think it's more realistic, rather than theatrical this way. But it does feel like a break from the norm. IIRC, Pandora doesn't have any theme/background music either?

GE already has entry music in the tunnels. But that journey last seconds. You can’t even hear a full musical phrase by the time you’re through it, and engulfed in the sounds of a million bugs mating.

How would music interfere with meet and greets? They don’t interfere in any other theme park meet and greet that happens outside. Have you ever talked to Peter Pan in fantasyland? I have, and could hear him loud and clear.

The Pandora area sounds are more curious and whimsical than GE. For music, Pandora has a fantastic drum show, that’s an epic sound. The two food spots have a great score that can be heard on that side of the small land. The rides are bombastic with score. The land is incredibly musical. So much so there is a full 12 track, 57 minute album.

Docking Bay 7 is awkwardly quiet (besides an area loop on the outdoor patio).

If the spaceships aren’t going to move, why are they making noises like they are?

BoarderPhreak

GE already has entry music in the tunnels. But that journey last seconds. You can’t even hear a full musical phrase by the time you’re through it, and engulfed in the sounds of a million bugs mating.

How would music interfere with meet and greets? They don’t interfere in any other theme park meet and greet that happens outside. Have you ever talked to Peter Pan in fantasyland? I have, and could hear him loud and clear.

The Pandora area sounds are more curious and whimsical than GE. For music, Pandora has a fantastic drum show, that’s an epic sound. The two food spots have a great score that can be heard on that side of the small land. The rides are bombastic with score. The land is incredibly musical. So much so there is a full 12 track, 57 minute album.

Docking Bay 7 is awkwardly quiet (besides an area loop on the outdoor patio).

If the spaceships aren’t going to move, why are they making noises like they are?
True, it is a quick transition - you don't want to hear it outside of the land. Perhaps they could play it for a little longer as you enter the land before it fades out.

Interfere with hearing the theatrical presentation mainly I guess. Obviously Chewie doesn't talk but I suspect Rey does(?) and the Stormtroopers certainly do. From the sound of it though, you can hear the latter from quite a distance. Interesting choice; natural hustle and bustle of the marketplace or theme music. They clearly chose the former. As for the spaceships coming and going, it's not so much for the one in front of you - but suggesting the others around the land are coming and going. That's how they got there, after all.

Mickeyboof

True, it is a quick transition - you don't want to hear it outside of the land. Perhaps they could play it for a little longer as you enter the land before it fades out.

Interfere with hearing the theatrical presentation mainly I guess. Obviously Chewie doesn't talk but I suspect Rey does(?) and the Stormtroopers certainly do. From the sound of it though, you can hear the latter from quite a distance. Interesting choice; natural hustle and bustle of the marketplace or theme music. They clearly chose the former. As for the spaceships coming and going, it's not so much for the one in front of you - but suggesting the others around the land are coming and going. That's how they got there, after all.

If they wanted me to believe I got there by a ship, they would have let the Star Tour’s exit into Batuu.

I walked there just like everybody else.

When the one performance happens on the Kylo Ren stage, actors use microphones (so incredibly immersive, stage microphones!)

Otherwise, you don’t need to hear Rey from twenty feet away. She’s very quiet to begin with. She talks to an immediate audience.

Soft, IN WORLD, musical notes will not interfere. It has never ever interfered with any meet and greet.

There is no natural hustle and bustle of the marketplace. It’s a gift shop. It sounds like a gift shop. It sounds like a quiet, dead gift shop. The creature stall doesn’t even make noise.

If they wanted me to believe it was an immersive edge of the galaxy marketplace, I would hear fast paced hustle and bustle music. Exotic music from worlds beyond.

Music tells us where we are. Without marketplace music, I’m in a Star Wars gift shop.

ParkPeeker

I know Disney has been throwing around the word immersive like they invented it, but immersive has never meant “real.”

Pioneering immersive works such as Sleep No More, Fuerza Bruta, Meow Wolf all create IMMERSIVE environments without striping their fictional worlds of its theatrics, the. pretend it’s real.

Sorry to break it to y’all, but Batuu just isn’t real. It’s a big stage. And it deserve place setting markets such as area music.

And without area music, it isn’t immersive. It’s boring.

If I wanted to experience a real Moroccan marketplace, I’d seek one out. I go to Star Wars to experience the Star Wars fantasy.

Stripping the land of the fundamental building blocks of a good theme park land so it can be their disasterous version of Immersion is such a shame.

I couldn’t even imagine walking down Main Street without the music. All in all, Main Street is much more successful immersive than Galaxy’s Edge. Because it confesses it isn’t real, then asks you to play along.

It’s such a gorgeous relationship.
I thought I made it obvious with the /s (meaning sarcasm) that I was agreeing with you that the land needs music all throughout it

TP2000

The only thing I can think of is that the more people/crowds == more walking space, lol

That's the only thing I can think of as well. You can tell at the DHS version the footprint of the Disneyland original is still marked out in the circle of bricks on the ground.

The Disneyland version has a larger footprint, more bulky and lower to the ground. I wonder why???

Disneyland USA Star Wars Land - Marketplace statue
9-Marketplace.jpg

star-wars-land-bazaar.png

gerarar

Premium Member
Ok so after staring at the pictures above immensely for a long time, I noticed one small, but also important detail missing in the DL version!
In DHS, the lights above the millennium falcon are connected by hanging wires, which then lead to some power source on a wall towards the far right. In DL, there are no wires, which begs the question, where does the power come from for these lights? #immersion!!
Details like this are really cool and pop out once you notice 'em imo. Anyways, I've grabbed the best pics I could find to compare.
DHS:

DL:

Also notice the more (brighter) green shrubs/moss in DHS, gives it a better look imho. In addition the light's bulbs being soft white makes it stand out more, which I like.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom