Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

britain

...jewels like NOS...

Galaxy's Edge is probably most comparable to New Orleans Square, and not just in size, scope, and attraction count. At the time it was announced/built, Walt was acting like NoS was going to finally achieve what he was shooting for with Disneyland. And it nearly cost as much as the whole park originally did. This whole "Disneyland is never going to be the same after SW" sentiment is a distant echo of a similar moment from the late 1960's.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Galaxy's Edge is probably most comparable to New Orleans Square, and not just in size, scope, and attraction count. At the time it was announced/built, Walt was acting like NoS was going to finally achieve what he was shooting for with Disneyland. And it nearly cost as much as the whole park originally did. This whole "Disneyland is never going to be the same after SW" sentiment is a distant echo of a similar moment from the late 1960's.

I think it can be summarized as simply... A Disney theme park experience isn't just about rides. It's about PLACEMAKING and the enjoyment you get from experiencing those places... from sights, sounds, emotions, AND experiences.

NOS is known for its placemaking and how it used to be able to transport you into another environment so convincingly.. how the attention to the little things all tie together into a quaint, but powerful product.

Carsland, Pandora, and SW:GE tackle that on a much grander scale... but are including fantasy.... not just romanticized versions of a place and time like NOS does.

With the scale of attractions and lands now... its just impractical to people to hold out for 'the land sucks if it doesn't give me 4-5 new rides'. That's not how Disney builds theme parks.. and generally doesn't see that kind of density unless you look at entire new parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not necessarily. Disney has the money to make a large number of truly innovative rides without sacrificing quality.
Hell, they just spent $57 Billion on Fox.

With a plan for specific ROI on that money. Having money doesn't mean you throw it away just because you have it.

And do you consider all the money your extended family has, yours to spend as well?

flynnibus

Premium Member
ppsstt... you know that Tokyo Disney Sea place? That place many considered the pinnacle of what Imagineering can do when they have almost free reign?

That mysterious island... it only has two attractions too... don't tell anyone!!

And no other land has more than two other major (D/E) level attractions either.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Are you trying to tell me that Disney won't turn a profit with all of the overpriced food and made-in-china merchandise that they drastically mark up including the increases in ticket and hotel prices every year, plus all of the additional charges they are add on to visits
?

I'm saying that 'success' does not equal returns. It's basic business principles that go ignored by people that just whine as customers.

Not only must I generate interest, I must generate a return that eventually EXCEEDS my costs. Hence what I spend matters... so throwing around completely unrelated numbers as if they have money to burn suggests you think spending doesn't matter.. because success will win out. Well... what you spend STILL MATTERS.

Successful businesses close all the time because people didn't know how to manage the business to be a self-sustaining or profitable one.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
VIDEO - On-board the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

Guide to all the characters, creatures and droids that you will find at Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

The ships, speeders and transport that you'll find in Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

VIDEO - Spectacular drone flight through Star Wars Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland

mikejs78

Premium Member
and generally doesn't see that kind of density unless you look at entire new parks.

And even then, the last two parks Disney opened in Orlando had 2 and 3 rides *in the whole park* respectively.

And that's my problem. Disney is doing just what they can do to satiate the masses just enough to get us into the gates. Then they raise the prices. But nothing has really been amazing for a very long time.
You keep tying something being amazing to ride quantity. Name me the lands in Disney World that opened with more than two or three rides in the first year? I'll give you a hint: there's only two. Let's go down the list.

MK
Main Street: 1
Adventureland: 1
Frontierland: 1
Liberty Square: 1
Fantasyland: 9
Tomorrowland: 1

Epcot
Future World: 6
World Showcase: 1

DHS:
Hollywood Blvd: 1
Sunset Blvd: 1
Echo Lake: 0
Studio Backlot: 1
Toy Story Land: 3(2)
Galaxy's Edge: 2

DAK
Africa: 1
Dinoland: 1
Asia: 1
Pandora: 2

So when exactly was this golden age where Disney would build these large lands with many rides? In 50 years of WDW, no land has has more than 3 rides opening year except Fantasyland in MK and Future World in Epcot.

If anything, they seem to be increasing their initial ride count. Historically, almost all lands opened with one ride only. Now we have 3 new lands in the last few years, each with two new rides.

Also, when was the last time we got three new lands in 4 years?

Darth Snips

Hey @sedati, you might have the answer to your questions about that mystery building next to the garage:

Looks like it’s used to put on a little stunt show. I remember them talking about having action sequences break out on rooftops at Star Wars Celebration 2017. Some of this fight choreography even looks like the test footage they showed.

Of course, this could just be for the media preview tonight. It does look like it’s what that space was designed for though, so hopefully it’s here for the long term.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

And even then, the last two parks Disney opened in Orlando had 2 and 3 rides *in the whole park* respectively.

You keep tying something being amazing to ride quantity. Name me the lands in Disney World that opened with more than two or three rides in the first year? I'll give you a hint: there's only two. Let's go down the list.

MK
Main Street: 1
Adventureland: 1
Frontierland: 1
Liberty Square: 1
Fantasyland: 9
Tomorrowland: 1

Epcot
Future World: 6
World Showcase: 1

DHS:
Hollywood Blvd: 1
Sunset Blvd: 1
Echo Lake: 0
Studio Backlot: 1
Toy Story Land: 3(2)
Galaxy's Edge: 2

DAK
Africa: 1
Dinoland: 1
Asia: 1
Pandora: 2

So when exactly was this golden age where Disney would build these large lands with many rides? In 50 years of WDW, no land has has more than 3 rides opening year except Fantasyland in MK and Future World in Epcot.

If anything, they seem to be increasing their initial ride count. Historically, almost all lands opened with one ride only. Now we have 3 new lands in the last few years, each with two new rides.

Also, when was the last time we got three new lands in 4 years?
All of the MK lands opened with more than two attractions though, unlike TSL or SWL. Main Street had train, vehicles, cinema. Adventureland Junge;, Treehouse, Tiki; LQ had Mansion, Presidents, Diamond Horshoe, Riverboat....

Stripes

So any idea when DL's version of ROTR will open? They say: "later this year," which doesn't sound too optimistic but I suspect they just don't want anybody putting off their vacations anymore.

mikejs78

Premium Member
All of the MK lands opened with more than two attractions though, unlike TSL or SWL. Main Street had train, vehicles, cinema. Adventureland Junge;, Treehouse, Tiki; LQ had Mansion, Presidents, Diamond Horshoe, Riverboat....

First the claim made was specifically about rides, not attractions. So I was responding to that.

Second, one could argue that the interactivity of the land is an attraction, and a pretty big one.

Third, even looking at Main Street, Adventure Land, etc, that brings the count up to 3 for those - one more than the recent lands.

How many did Frontierland have though?

Or Tomorrowland?

Phicinfan

Why did Marvel make Endgame? They didn't need to make that massive 3 hour movie and tied the MCU together into the film for 10 years prior. They did so because they wanted to, and for the sake of the story and the fans, it was important to them.

Believe me, Disney is going to make plenty of money and would have made more even if they made Star Wars an entire fifth park.
Well, that's an apples and oranges comparison isn't it.
Point blank, they could put in spinners in every park for the next three years at a rate of a spinner a month and they would still make money.

But... we are not talking about just any amount of money. They have to continue to increase attendance to keep money flowing.

Some of these rides are costing Millions of dollars. Even if they are just clones.

I would argue on the 5th park issue. I wonder when they hit that limit and at some point attendance drops and they have to find a different way to do things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom