Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Fisher told us about how they even have developed Audio-Animatronics that walk on four and two legs, and how they had many self-driving droids planned for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, but had to delay them because of the crowds expected. I clarified with him that the droids are ready to go, but they just don’t work as well in large crowds. He also mentioned how the Hondo Ohnaka figure in the upcoming Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run ride will be one of the most advanced one they have ever made, rivaling the Shaman of Songs in the Na’vi River Journey ride at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.​

What I Learned:
  • The reason the self-controlled droids have been delayed in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is because of the large crowds they’re expecting. So they should make an appearance later, whenever crowds lessen.

Surferboy567

doctornick

I don't think anyone has said for sure, but I would guess that the lack of a TSR at start was not a budget cut/bean counter issue. If anything, those folks would be all over themselves to build a revenue generating location. The TSR was planned and officially announced but never built -- that sounds like it was Ops that pulled the plug on it because it would be insane when the land opens and so counter service will work better operationally. The space is there for the TSR and it will be built down the road when the land is established and can handle it.

matt9112

I don't think anyone has said for sure, but I would guess that the lack of a TSR at start was not a budget cut/bean counter issue. If anything, those folks would be all over themselves to build a revenue generating location. The TSR was planned and officially announced but never built -- that sounds like it was Ops that pulled the plug on it because it would be insane when the land opens and so counter service will work better operationally. The space is there for the TSR and it will be built down the road when the land is established and can handle it.

whats disneys track record on building planned things after the fact?

matt9112

Fisher told us about how they even have developed Audio-Animatronics that walk on four and two legs, and how they had many self-driving droids planned for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, but had to delay them because of the crowds expected. I clarified with him that the droids are ready to go, but they just don’t work as well in large crowds. He also mentioned how the Hondo Ohnaka figure in the upcoming Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run ride will be one of the most advanced one they have ever made, rivaling the Shaman of Songs in the Na’vi River Journey ride at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.​
What I Learned:

• The reason the self-controlled droids have been delayed in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is because of the large crowds they’re expecting. So they should make an appearance later, whenever crowds lessen.

how many years away is that?

doctornick

whats disneys track record on building planned things after the fact?

Disney'd track record for adding restaurants into spaces planned for them is probably pretty good. They don't seem to have had much problem adding more food places to Epcot.

Yes, if this were a ride, I'd be skeptical that it would still be build, but a TSR for Star Wars is printing money. But operationally, it would be a problem if they are trying to control crowds and manage people's time in the land.

matt9112

Disney'd track record for adding restaurants into spaces planned for them is probably pretty good. They don't seem to have had much problem adding more food places to Epcot.

Yes, if this were a ride, I'd be skeptical that it would still be build, but a TSR for Star Wars is printing money. But operationally, it would be a problem if they are trying to control crowds and manage people's time in the land.

im not buying it as purely ops....maybe that is a consideration sure. if anything i would be inclined to believe it was shelved to be the "next advertised item" when hype dies down. "look come visit again for brand new restaurant" cheaper than a third ride and as you said direct ROI.

Razgriz

Im actually worried we won't see any aliens besides the few mechanical ones.
Generally its a lot to ask in the climate to have people made up but I feel like
latest

wouldn't be too much if they are cast members inside.
The headpiece can literally be a hat with thin latex tails stuffed with tissue paper for support

Last edited:

Kman101

Funny how these obscure sources turn into a serious discussion.

The site that can't be named is traveling an eerily (or should I say ear-ily) similar path to what that dude at mousesteps traveled several years ago.

My belief is demand exceeded expectations even with two lands and staggered openings became necessary and would have happened in any case.

So rushing the land to open (I should applaud this, but I can't), not opening the "main attraction" with the land, having "reservations" at Disneyland, no TS restaurant available, supposedly a low capacity for the Cantina ... that's a bad rollout of a hotly demanded land, IMHO. They can do better than this. But yet they'll get defended because "OMG THEY'RE SO WONDERFUL AND AWESOME OPENING IT SO SOON" ...

jt04

So rushing the land to open (I should applaud this, but I can't), not opening the "main attraction" with the land, having "reservations" at Disneyland, no TS restaurant available, supposedly a low capacity for the Cantina ... that's a bad rollout of a hotly demanded land, IMHO. They can do better than this. But yet they'll get defended because "OMG THEY'RE SO WONDERFUL AND AWESOME OPENING IT SO SOON" ...

So, how would you suggest they deal with the crowds? Just let people queue up all the way to Epcot? For months.

Kman101

So, how would you suggest they deal with the crowds? Just let people queue up all the way to Epcot? For months.

Yep. Why should they rush this by just a few months if so much is unable to be ready.

What if they opened Avatar Land with just the boat ride and they held off on the simulator and restaurant?

Let's not applaud them for what is in reality a marketed soft opening. I totally understand they're desperate because of the crowds. Disneyland's rollout bothers me more than Florida's.

I'd have a different attitude if it didn't seem so messy of a rollout. I try very hard not to be so critical all the time but they really disappoint me; I think they could handle this better. I mean, how can anyone NOT think this is a messy rollout that's ultimately going to cause more guest frustration than happiness at the land being open early ...

jt04

Yep. Why should they rush this by just a few months if so much is unable to be ready.

What if they opened Avatar Land with just the boat ride and they held off on the simulator and restaurant?

Let's not applaud them for what is in reality a marketed soft opening. I totally understand they're desperate because of the crowds. Disneyland's rollout bothers me more than Florida's.

I'd have a different attitude if it didn't seem so messy of a rollout. I try very hard not to be so critical all the time but they really disappoint me; I think they could handle this better. I mean, how can anyone NOT think this is a messy rollout that's ultimately going to cause more guest frustration than happiness at the land being open early ...

A lot of people will delay for the completed land thereby helping mitigate the initial rush.

Nice dodge of my questions though.

Kman101

A lot of people will delay for the completed land thereby helping mitigate the initial rush.

Nice dodge of my questions though.

No dodge JT. I feel how I feel :) Just my opinion. Not sure why everyone tries to argue with someone's opinion all the time.

You talk in facts like you know how things work, but you don't. Stop. I get you have a role to play but sometimes it's a bit tiring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom