Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

roj2323

Well, according to Pandora cast members, some "backstage areas" are proportionally too large for certain rides...
Well considering flight of passage has 4 RAC (ride access control) rooms as well as at least 2 mechanical closets for each of the 4 sections and 8ft wide hallways in some areas I'd kinda agree but the reality is those hallways are probably that large so equipment can be brought in or out as needed. There's quite frankly an endless number of reasons for large off stage areas but sometimes it's simply because it was cheaper or just easier.

sedati

It's not 100% clear yet, but if you've been following the Disneyland construction of the Battle Escape attraction it seems the last quarter of the building which is currently being framed may in fact be one giant room that utilizes the building's full height.

sedati

Here's the photo taken by Laughingplace over on the Disneyland forum:
DCdL_FkVwAA0OP7.jpg

What I'm seeing is that they have gone ahead and built the outer wall, filling out the rest of the border defined by the foundation. If you look at the cross support (X) on the far left- that is the size that they usually built out a one time. Here they framed four times that. I thought this might be just so they could keep the ground area for staging the new steel, but now that they are putting in the roof I think that confirms this as a fully open space- there will be no split floor as they would have put the lower level in first as everything is being brought down by crane.
DB6SuHYXgAEslUE.jpg

Crudely using one of Bioreconstruct's aerials to show what I mean in reference to the Hollywood Studios version. The yellow section is where the stationary AT-ATs should go and is already up by now. The red is what I've shown above. Keep in mind that at Celebration the designer hinted that the two AT-ATs seen already were "Some of them," implying more to come. My guess is this area to the left (maybe six times larger than the AT-AT hanger) will be a large scale battle scene, one that may involve more active AT-ATs.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Awesome. Does that provide any indication if construction is starting to catch up to DL? The AT-ATs went in there around early March 2017, right? About 3 month difference now.

The AT-ATs at DL reached this point on about 3/13 so a little over 3 months, BUT the construction sequence is not the same between the two projects. On 3/13 at DL the steal sheeting for the floor and roof of the first section were already down, but they have not been started at DHS. The round area at the end of the show building was also much further along then it is at DHS. At DHS it about how it was at DL at the end of January.

sedati

There's just two AT-ATs and they're in a full height show scene.

Saying that more may go into the new build spot is just a guess on my part. I would suspect that any moving AT-ATs may be done with projection. But I am expecting more somewhere in the attraction. Quoting the panel directly:

Host: "Those are them." (Photo shown of installed AT-AT frames.)
Scott Trowbridge: "Ah... those are SOME of them."
Crowd: "Oooh."

Hype and hyperbole is of course expected, but that seems pretty definitive. I don't think he meant more on another coast as they were already clear about the attraction being duplicated.

Also, there seems to be now at least two "full height" areas, and a third that goes even higher- from basement to roof in the rumored elevator pit.

Winter

This probably is a stupid question that I should already know the answer to, but, what's an AT-AT? I keep hearing about them but have no idea what they are

Jones14

For further clarification, it stands for All Terrain Armored Transport. In terms of ground-based weaponry, they're generally considered to be the most dangerous vehicle in the Imperial armed forces.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
I'd wager that it'll be hidden from the north side of the park as well as Hollywood BLVD just based on the angle that sunset faces which skews more to Muppets and Drew Carey.

Anybody miss Sounds Dangerous? Even if to fill that theatre and add to the park during the construction?

That attraction seems like the tipping point between Disney-MGM and the new Park identity. It would hardly seem to fit into that Park in its current and future state.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom