Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

TP2000

šŸ™„ You mean of the echo chamber.

The DL thread isnā€™t enough for you to repeat this in?

Okay, then find us someone who thinks otherwise. Reports are now coming in from DHS previews, and there isn't a competing narrative yet.

I would love to hear from someone who had a different experience! Anyone who has been to a DHS preview care to weigh in? Does @tallica want to expand on why they though it was "void of personality"?

It is an aesthetically impressive and gorgeous land, I don't think anyone disagrees with that. I don't even buy into the minor commentary I've read that it is depressing because it is "war ravaged", that's just not a problem for me. I thought the land was extremely well designed and Imagineered from an architecture and aesthetic and decorating perspective.

Last edited:

MickeyMinnieMom

Okay, then find us someone who thinks otherwise. Reports are now coming in from DHS previews, and there isn't a competing narrative yet.

I would love to hear from someone who had a different experience! Anyone who has been to a DHS preview care to weigh in?
Seriously? Read back ā€” many agree it could use more activity ā€” Iā€™ve agreed with that. They can still add that. The constant repeated posts complaining about the exact same thing ā€” now across two threads at least ā€” is a bit much IMO.

And all of this complaining undersells and crowds out talk of what the land already offers in its current state. All of the oxygen gets sucked out of the ā€œroomā€ with the constant repetition of the same complaints. Thatā€™s my issue with this. Gives people who havenā€™t been the wrong impression IMO.

Mickeyboof

Seriously? Read back ā€” many agree it could use more activity ā€” Iā€™ve agreed with that. They can still add that. The constant repeated posts complaining about the exact same thing ā€” now across two threads at least ā€” is a bit much IMO.

And all of this complaining undersells and crowds out talk of what the land already offers in its current state. All of the oxygen gets sucked out of the ā€œroomā€ with the constant repetition of the same complaints. Thatā€™s my issue with this. Gives people who havenā€™t been the wrong impression IMO.

What does the land offer that needs explanation or discussion?

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Yup, that's the general consensus for the Disneyland version too, from those of us who have been.

That's a very valid question!

What I wanted from this land is all the things that Disney themselves said publicly for the last four years it was going to have, releasing artwork and details at major fan conventions and on national network TV specials several years ago. I don't think that's too much to ask after Disney themselves spent years telling us it would all happen. :confused:

Things like;

-Roaming Droids. I didn't see a single droid zipping around. One robot guy in Ronto's Roasters was turning the bbq spit, and that was so notable because it was one of the only moving props in the entire land. They were even testing these at Disneyland's Tomorrowland several years ago, so we know it was supposed to be a thing.

maxresdefault.jpg

-Roaming Alien Creatures. Except for the Hondo animatronic in the Falcon queue and Dok Andar (sp?) animatronic behind a fence in a gift shop, I only saw other humans in this land. Chewbacca had the night off when I was there, he was nowhere to be seen. For being on the edge of a distant galaxy, Batuu had nothing but Earthlings who all spoke perfect English with a California accent.

star-wars-themed-land-disney-parks-official-concept-art.jpg

disneyland-60-star-wars-land-new-concept-art-hi-res-milnersblog-8.jpg

-Bounty Hunters and Interactive Characters. In 2017 at D23 Expo Imagineer Scott Trowbridge said if we didn't earn enough "Galactic Credits" piloting the Falcon a scary bounter hunter would be after us. The Bounty Hunter is the lizard looking guy in the yellow armor. He got cut, never mind the Jawa and small furry alcoholic next to him, much less proprietess Oga herself who is nowhere to be found.

I should also note that I took my iPhoneX with me into the land fully charged, running both the Disneyland App and Play Disney Parks App. I rode the Millennium Falcon three times that evening with varying degrees of success, and not a single CM said a word to me about it. The land had light crowds and there were tons of bored CM's just talking to themselves about scheduling, Katie's party, etc. but not a single CM said anything to me about my Falcon performance or anything Star Wars Land related. And I'm a nice guy who smiles! :facepalm:

-Music, Bands, Musicians, Entertainment, Stunt Shows. None of that exists in the land, except for some tinkling music in the entry tunnels. I listen to KUSC Classical radio constantly, and the Star Wars music is some of modern classical's finest achievements. But apparently it all got cut when Mr. Chapek cut the stunt shows that were obviously planned for the land's massive balconies and upper levels that now sit abandoned.

-Never Mind All The Other Stuff Mr. Chapek Cut. Stuff like the supper club restaurant with live entertainment and swanky alien food. Plus the rumored stuff like drone spaceships hovering overhead that insiders have said were being worked on at one time, before Mr. Chapek's sharp pencil found them hiding in a corner cubicle. But a lot of the official artwork Disney themselves released publicly had these concepts as part of the sales pitch to us customers. They all went missing in the last few years, after Mr. Chapek got settled in to his new job. Why?

disneyland-60-star-wars-land-new-concept-art-hi-res-milnersblog-11.jpg

disneyland-60-star-wars-land-new-concept-art-hi-res-milnersblog-10.jpg

Again, this was all stuff released publicly through official Disney channels and talked up widely by senior Disney executives from Burbank and Glendale at public events. Talk about a bait and switch! What happened to all this stuff? So to answer your valid question, that's "what I truly wanted from this land". I can't be the only one, can I? :oops:

Wow! Thank you for that.
I didn't know about everything that was originally planned for GE. How sad that all those projects were cut. One kind of expects that not everything is going to make it into the final product, but again, wow...

eddie104

Yup, that's the general consensus for the Disneyland version too, from those of us who have been.

What I wanted from this land is all the things that Disney themselves said publicly for the last four years it was going to have, releasing artwork and details at major fan conventions and on national network TV specials several years ago. I don't think that's too much to ask after Disney themselves spent years telling us it would all happen. :confused:

Things like;

-Roaming Droids. I didn't see a single droid zipping around. One robot guy in Ronto's Roasters was turning the bbq spit, and that was so notable because it was one of the only moving props in the entire land. They were even testing these at Disneyland's Tomorrowland several years ago, so we know it was supposed to be a thing.

maxresdefault.jpg

-Roaming Alien Creatures. Except for the Hondo animatronic in the Falcon queue and Dok Andar (sp?) animatronic behind a fence in a gift shop, I only saw other humans in this land. Chewbacca had the night off when I was there, he was nowhere to be seen. For being on the edge of a distant galaxy, Batuu had nothing but Earthlings who all spoke perfect English with a California accent.

-Bounty Hunters and Interactive Characters. In 2017 at D23 Expo Imagineer Scott Trowbridge said if we didn't earn enough "Galactic Credits" piloting the Falcon a scary bounter hunter would be after us. The Bounty Hunter is the lizard looking guy in the yellow armor. He got cut, never mind the Jawa and small furry alcoholic next to him, much less proprietess Oga herself who is nowhere to be found.

I should also note that I took my iPhoneX with me into the land fully charged, running both the Disneyland App and Play Disney Parks App. I rode the Millennium Falcon three times that evening with varying degrees of success, and not a single CM said a word to me about it. The land had light crowds and there were tons of bored CM's just talking to themselves about scheduling, Katie's party, etc. but not a single CM said anything to me about my Falcon performance or anything Star Wars Land related. And I'm a nice guy who smiles! :facepalm:

-Music, Bands, Musicians, Entertainment, Stunt Shows. None of that exists in the land, except for some tinkling music in the entry tunnels. I listen to KUSC Classical radio constantly, and the Star Wars music is some of modern classical's finest achievements. But apparently it all got cut when Mr. Chapek cut the stunt shows that were obviously planned for the land's massive balconies and upper levels that now sit abandoned.

-Never Mind All The Other Stuff Mr. Chapek Cut. Stuff like the supper club restaurant with live entertainment and swanky alien food. Plus the rumored stuff like drone spaceships hovering overhead that insiders have said were being worked on at one time, before Mr. Chapek's sharp pencil found them hiding in a corner cubicle. But a lot of the official artwork Disney themselves released publicly had these concepts as part of the sales pitch to us customers. They all went missing in the last few years, after Mr. Chapek got settled in to his new job. Why?

Again, this was all stuff released publicly through official Disney channels and talked up widely by senior Disney executives from Burbank and Glendale at public events. Talk about a bait and switch! What happened to all this stuff? So to answer your valid question, that's "what I truly wanted from this land". I can't be the only one, can I? :oops:
I very much agree with you for a change and they need to start implementing what they promised from the very beginning.

mikejs78

Premium Member

Things like;

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't disagree with most of what you write here - these things should be added. But at the end of the day none of these things are fundamental problems with the land. They are all fixable.

The lack of some of this stuff from day one is a major failure on the part of TWDC and Bob Chapek. But from everything I'm hearing, the land itself was well done by WDI. With a little retooling and additions of entertainment/streetmosphere/kinetics (droids, etc) this still has the potential to be a great land without changing a thing about the build.

Incomudro

Donā€™t get me wrong I want this land to improve just like everybody else. Chapek who supposedly cut all the entertainment and streetsmosphere should definitely feel the wrath of the fans. However it can be a little discouraging for those who havenā€™t visited the land to read these posts.

I'm still very excited to visit GE, and I'm going to appreciate what's there - which will include RotR by the time I get there.
I think the land is beautifully done.

mikejs78

Premium Member
After doing a 4-hour preview yesterday, I need to say...

That was an absolutely amazing experience. Once you're in the land, you seriously don't feel like you're in Hollywood Studios anymore, but rather a different world. All the cast members were in-character and fun to interact with, the Storm Troopers are tons of fun (as always), and it's just so cool! Also, Smuggler's Run is one of the best rides in WDW. I got to do all three roles. Gunner is definitely the worst of the three, engineer is nice, and piloting of course is the best.

Biggest disappointment was the blue milk. I was really hoping to like it, but it really isn't that good. And the green milk... Let's just say I'd take butterbeer over it any day.

Absolutely amazing land that makes Wizarding World look bad. 10/10.

doctornick

I think it is entirely possible for some people to love the land and others to find it lacking. I suspect that has less to do with the actual quality or lack thereof and more regarding how people experience the theme parks and what appeals to them.

The music is an interesting point, for example, because a lot of folks don't even really pay attention to the background musics in various lands. So, one person's "the silence is deafening" is another person's "I don't even notice the music when at Disney".

Mike S

I think it is entirely possible for some people to love the land and others to find it lacking. I suspect that has less to do with the actual quality or lack thereof and more regarding how people experience the theme parks and what appeals to them.

The music is an interesting point, for example, because a lot of folks don't even really pay attention to the background musics in various lands. So, one person's "the silence is deafening" is another person's "I don't even notice the music when at Disney".
No, you must pick a side and beat others over the head with it. Do it now!!! ;)

Iā€™d like music btw.

MickeyMinnieMom

Almost every day I see amazing new details in these lands. Unfortunately I have to go elsewhere to find them.
Agreed. There are some really nice FB groups on SWGE ā€” I often see cool little details that I missed in my two visits ā€” thatā€™s where I get a much better sense of what itā€™s actually like based on my experience. These boards arenā€™t the place for balance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom