Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MickeyMinnieMom

That group absolutely refuses to see the merit behind any posts that doesn't reflect their own thoughts. People with positive things to say avoid those threads because they don't want to feel like they're bashing their head against a wall.

Don't come to this thread and attempt to turn it into Disneyland Reviews 2.0

The latest batch of aerials look great! At first glance it seems like the subtle differences from the west coast version are a bit of an improvement. There's a bit more variety in colour, which should help a bit to offset the beige.
You’re exactly right! I’ve been to SWGE in DL and we had an amazing time, two days in a row. NO CHANCE I’m having a discussion in that Debbie Downer obsessive complaining thread.

I think the land needs more activity and the ride can use some tweaks, but we LOVED walking around the land... all the details are AMAZING. I have ZERO concerns about the viability of this land! They’ll make some tweaks and ROTR will open — can’t wait for all of it.

We’ll be there opening day and can’t wait to experience again and see if we can spot the subtle differences!

Stripes

In line with a few other subtle differences in the land that point in the same direction, the statue appears to be an indication that the Orlando version of Galaxy's Edge exists in a time BEFORE Anaheim's version.

The Orlando verison of the statue appears to a have a fresh copper color. Whereas the Disneyland version appears to be oxidized. Similar to the Statue of Liberty in New York.

Edit: they've painted the Orlando version

Last edited:

solidyne

In line with a few other subtle differences in the land that point in the same direction, the statue appears to be an indication that the Orlando version of Galaxy's Edge exists in a time BEFORE Anaheim's version.

The Orlando verison of the statue appears to a have a fresh copper color. Whereas the Disneyland version appears to be oxidized. Similar to the Statue of Liberty in New York.
View attachment 393948
View attachment 393949
OT in Orlando confirmed!

Incomudro

In all honestly, I would take whichever one is a higher quality. I actually don't think the characters used would make much of a difference.

I have only seen Avatar once and couldn't name a single character in the movie and still loved Pandora as a land and FoP as an incredible ride. The IP is just a base and what is done with it is what matters.

In fact, I would argue that relying too heavily on the storyline of an IP is a detriment of an attraction. Gingrott's suffers from this where enjoying the ride is far too dependent on intimate knowledge of the source material. Star Tours and Forbidden Journey do a better job by being more "highlights" of their respective worlds that as generic enough to be enjoyed on some level without even knowing the source material.

No one in my family has seen any of the Potter films, and this is exactly how we felt when we rode Gringott's
We felt like we were missing something that other riders who clearly knew the characters were getting .
I prefer Luke, Leia, Han and Vader myself - but a very well done Rae, Poe, Finn and Ren ride would make me just as happy.
Subtle differences can make a lot of difference. This version of the land should start out with a denser forest, greater color contrast in the rockwork, expanded music, and real actors for Savi’s.

That’s going to make a better overall first impression than Disneyland’s did, regardless of how well or poorly one thinks of the land over there.

I've always liked the idea of how the reveal of the buildings and eventually the Falcon unfolds from the tunnel entrance at Hollywood Studios.

brihow

View attachment 393948
View attachment 393949
Could still end up getting that patina-treatment. I'm super curious to see detailed comparisons of the 2 lands when WDW's is done :)

voodoo321

I've watched the movies a bunch of times, but at first - even though I was paying attention - the names "Rey" (spunky girl) and "Ren" (tall bad guy) were so close I got them confused often. Finn (ex-Stormtrooper) I always remembered because of how Poe came up with his name from his Stormtrooper number (FN-2187). Poe was pretty easy to remember because he was the good guy we thought was dead after he crashed with Finn...but yeah, they didn't make it easy for us, that's for sure.
It would be easy to remember their names if they were interesting and well developed characters.

Stripes

Does Disney sometimes open CM previews before construction is completely finished? Looking at the latest aerials there's still some work to do that I'm not sure can be finished in 4 days.

TP2000

I've watched the movies a bunch of times, but at first - even though I was paying attention - the names "Rey" (spunky girl) and "Ren" (tall bad guy) were so close I got them confused often. Finn (ex-Stormtrooper) I always remembered because of how Poe came up with his name from his Stormtrooper number (FN-2187). Poe was pretty easy to remember because he was the good guy we thought was dead after he crashed with Finn...but yeah, they didn't make it easy for us, that's for sure.

So.... I'm really going to need trading cards to keep that straight. I saw the big movie at Christmas 2015, but I was at one of those fancy theaters where you sit in a big reclining chair and a cocktail waitress brings you champagne and cheesecake to your seat, so maybe that alcohol/sugar combo prevented my brain from retaining that info.

Trading cards would help with all the new names. I can't be the only one! :D

TP2000

Does Disney sometimes open CM previews before construction is completely finished? Looking at the latest aerials there's still some work to do that I'm not sure can be finished in 4 days.

In the park 2,500 miles to the west that shall not be named that just happened to open an identical clone of this land 8 weeks ago, they started CM "previews" in early May about a month before it opened to the public on May 31st. But the first week or two of CM previews were limited only to the Millennium Falcon: Target Run ride, so they just let the CM's in through a dedicated side entrance from the back of house area and those CM's were only allowed to walk straight to the Falcon ride and then exit the land. They couldn't wander around the land while the finishing touches were being applied by work crews.

I imagine if CM previews start this week at DHS, it will just be for the Falcon ride and nothing else, and a controlled access pathway will be monitored to/from the Falcon ride facility only. As the month of August rolls along, more of the land will be opened for CM previews and looky-loos before the more formal AP previews start later in August.

Ravenclaw78

I have nothing against the characters or the films...but the sounds of those two names are just too close. As a wanna-be writer, that's something I wouldn't have let slip by.

That's because his name isn't Ren. It's Kylo Ren. Actually, his real name is Ben Solo, but "Kylo Ren" is like Anakin Skywalker becoming "Darth Vader". Nobody in the movies ever calls him just "Ren", so they don't sound similar onscreen.

WDW Pro

In the park 2,500 miles to the west that shall not be named that just happened to open an identical clone of this land 8 weeks ago, they started CM "previews" in early May about a month before it opened to the public on May 31st. But the first week or two of CM previews were limited only to the Millennium Falcon: Target Run ride, so they just let the CM's in through a dedicated side entrance from the back of house area and those CM's were only allowed to walk straight to the Falcon ride and then exit the land. They couldn't wander around the land while the finishing touches were being applied by work crews.

I imagine if CM previews start this week at DHS, it will just be for the Falcon ride and nothing else, and a controlled access pathway will be monitored to/from the Falcon ride facility only. As the month of August rolls along, more of the land will be opened for CM previews and looky-loos before the more formal AP previews start later in August.

Cast members have been riding MFSR for days at DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom