Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Stripes

I waited 70 minutes, 40 of those minutes were backstage. Not sure how often they use it but I was very disappointed by that.
I definitely would be. But, that wasn't my experience. We waited 60 minutes and there was plenty of room left in the queue. Weird.

Maybe one or two of the turntables was experiencing problems and they had to open up overflow? Just a guess.

eddie104

So does anyone know how the overflow queue in DHS Smuggler Run will look like ?

I mean I don't believe its going to be the same as DL considering their not being built in similar parks and they have somewhat different layouts.

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

Writing from Disneyland tonight. Just left the park. This is my third time visiting Galaxy’s Edge (it’s amazing, FYI).

The extended queue for the Smuggler’s Run was in use throughout the afternoon on all three visits - and they were low-crowd-level days. Hopefully, the implementation of FastPass for Smuggler’s Run will actually cause the number of guests in the standby line to go down (even though wait times will go up), as somebody here suggested.

If they’ll still have to use the extended queue (or if they don’t implement FP soon), they should REALLY invest a few thousand dollars to make it a covered area that prevents backstage views. It’s ridiculous to build such a perfectly-designed land with impeccable sightlines, and then let this happen.

And while the land is an extraordinary accomplishment, it really suffers from Chapek having cancelled the roaming entertainment. That would have completed the “world-building” and pushed the experience into unprecedented territory. Instead, there’s a very strong sense that something’s just missing. This was a serious screw-up, and I hope they greenlight roaming aliens and droids soon.

ToTBellHop

The phased opening at Disneyland may have burned off the craziness. But I do agree the WDW version won't have a time when the crowds are light. Ever.
Then why are there resort discounts for fall?

It won’t be as quiet as DL. That’s for sure. That doesn’t happen at WDW anymore.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Then why are there resort discounts for fall?

It won’t be as quiet as DL. That’s for sure. That doesn’t happen at WDW anymore.
Maybe because Disney rack rates are above market value?

To be fair, the resort discounts for the fall are much more restrictive and much less than in the the past.

Anecdote: I have a friend that goes every September and stays on property. This year he was planning on staying offsite because of no discounts and he felt rack rate was too high, not what he normally is used to paying, but still go. Now he cancelled his offsite reservation and booked on property.

ToTBellHop

Maybe because Disney rack rates are above market value?

To be fair, the resort discounts for the fall are much more restrictive and much less than in the the past.

Anecdote: I have a friend that goes every September and stays on property. This year he was planning on staying offsite because of no discounts and he felt rack rate was too high, not what he normally is used to paying, but still go. Now he cancelled his offsite reservation and booked on property.
Bookings for fall are not where they want them, regardless of cause. They thought the drive to see SWGE in any form was enough to convince people to pay their inflated rates. They were wrong.

SpoiledBlueMilk

5f7a156c-6d6c-4668-b896-d4b5cbdc4692-jpeg.391181

So this view is okay for 1,388 paying customers per hour anytime the Millennium Falcon wait time goes over 45 minutes long, but you can't have music in Star Wars Land because John Williams didn't live in that galaxy? I'm so confused. And not impressed.

Bob Chapek, call your office! :facepalm:

So John Williams scored a new suite of music for Galaxy's Edge and just put it in a drawer? There is music in the land.....

The Pho

I've not heard of them actually using this for anything but the first day of general access, and even then only first thing in the morning. It certainly was not being used when I was there the afternoon of the first day of general access.
I was there 3 separate days (July 5th, 6th, and 13th). It was being used every time I was near the Falcon, and the wait was always roughly 1 hour (excluding post earthquake fun time). I only waited in it the one time though, since the singles line was significantly shorter.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I was there 3 separate days (July 5th, 6th, and 13th). It was being used every time I was near the Falcon, and the wait was always roughly 1 hour (excluding post earthquake fun time). I only waited in it the one time though, since the singles line was significantly shorter.
You learn something new every day...

Is it just for the initial opening surge, or across the span of the day? When I was there the posted wait time was often around 55 minutes and that was fully contained within the queue after the entrance. However, I did see the queue extend out into the plaza toward the Cantina a couple of times which I'm sure they don't want to have causing all that congestion. It always takes a little time to knock the kinks out of things and get the proper flow in place.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So hold on, there's no music here? I thought Williams wrote a custom soundtrack for the land?

This article says:

"The “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Symphonic Overture Suite,” a track written by John Williams and inspired by the themed land inside the parks"

but it doesn't specifically say it would be used in the land.

The Pho

You learn something new every day...

Is it just for the initial opening surge, or across the span of the day? When I was there the posted wait time was often around 55 minutes and that was fully contained within the queue after the entrance. However, I did see the queue extend out into the plaza toward the Cantina a couple of times which I'm sure they don't want to have causing all that congestion. It always takes a little time to knock the kinks out of things and get the proper flow in place.
I never went over there at opening, that’s valuable Mr Toad and Matterhorn time. So it was various times between noon and closing. I hop around the park a bit and would venture in and out of Galaxy’s Edge. And like I said, the only time I didn’t see people going through the big gates to the backstage queue, was after the Earthquake on the 5th, but there was a sea of people next to the Falcon then.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I never went over there at opening, that’s valuable Mr Toad and Matterhorn time. So it was various times between noon and closing. I hop around the park a bit and would venture in and out of Galaxy’s Edge. And like I said, the only time I didn’t see people going through the big gates to the backstage queue, was after the Earthquake on the 5th, but there was a sea of people next to the Falcon then.

Interesting. I guess that means the demand for the attraction is climbing as the summer goes on and will likely stay that way until they open up Fastpass for the attraction. At least now we're seeing what things look like when an attraction of this scale and capacity doesn't have FP active. If they are using the overflow, it also means the reported wait times on the app are likely lower than the actual wait time since those are typically based on the time from the wait time sign to boarding. I'm kind of curious if they'll do that (open FP) before RotR comes on line in January, or if they wait until then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom