Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

twebber55

I don't think it's ideal at all. The castle parks have generalized themed areas that are evocative of an era or non-specific locations. Toontown was already a bit of an odd addition to that, but it still has a generalized feel and Mickey and friends are such a big part of Disney that it kinda fits.

But Star Wars is just a completely different animal. It messes with the entire vibe of the castle park too much because having an IP specific land contrasts how the rest of the park is set up.

Personally, from an aesthetic standpoint, I'd have rather they "saved" Star Wars (and maybe Marvel as well) as a big component for a third gate in Anaheim since it isn't a particular good fit for either DL or DCA.
for the record
im not saying it is or isnt just curious what others think

Mike S

Star Wars is more of a DCA land, but it's been 21 years since an E-ticket opened in DL Park (really the park hasn't seen much of any new (non-repurposed) rides since then). They probably figured it was about time to add something.
IMO, there's no where in DLR where a full blown Star Wars Land would fit as well as it will at DHS in WDW. No matter what it replaces it just feels awkward in DL to me and DCA is only slightly better.

Next Big Thing

IMO, there's no where in DLR where a full blown Star Wars Land would fit as well as it will at DHS in WDW. No matter what it replaces it just feels awkward in DL to me and DCA is only slightly better.
Speaking of DCA, I don't know why they bother keeping California in the name, it's pretty obvious DCA is pretty much the anything park for Cali, much like DHS.

BrianLo

I know the ROA change rumours have been prevalent for TDS and MK.... never thought it would happen at DL though.

On a positive note, maybe Fantasmic! will get some nice upgrades with all the downtime. Critter country too can finally stop being a dead end.

What's 90% important is that the 'on stage' section of ROA doesn't get removed and that sounds largely the case. Jungle cruise after all was shortened and no one really laments or even remembers the loss there.

I always thought Star Wars borders "Frontier and Fantasy" perfectly.

DisDan

The original theme of the park was California. The theme wasn't "The park is in Califonia"

I get that, but just saying, that you could sort of re-interpret the name of the park to simply mean Disney's Adventure in California...which is a very ambiguous park name, like what the park has become (theme wise).

Mouse Trap

So since we have some hints on what may come I've done some crude mock-ups of what the area may look like. I've added some commentary below each picture. My lines are not the best, but each picture shows an area about 14 acres. I've tried a few different designs the preserve back roads, certain buildings and what not to get some ideas.

Some pictures I attempted to show how the new train track would run (look for the ugly red line) all of these are assuming we get some sort of tunnel effect where we walk under the railroad then BAM!! magnificent, secluded SWL. I've also built the train tracks around Fantasyland Theatre, it's the only people eating stage show facility, but maybe this will just get moved elsewhere.

I apologize in advance for the crooked lines, I don't have THAT much free time or dedication. Maybe someone else will with more familiarity will swoop and provide us something with harder lines and better fits.

Mockup4.png

Probably one of the better cases here. RoA suffers very little and the train track (my ugly red line) pushes around the current borders of RoA, around SWL back to it's station by ToonTown. It's a tight squeeze, but a rough idea.

Mockup1.png

Here we get a sliver of RoA chopped off, but preserves a large area back of house which may be needed or re-purposed for whatever reason. Wouldn't require too much tinkering of RoA to get the railroad across.

Now let's get ugly...

Mockup2.png

RoA really gets spliced here. My line is crooked, but you get the general idea. This would be the hardest pill to swallow as the entire landscape really gets shook up. This layout preserves a lot back of house and I hope does not resemble what we get.

Mockup3.png

Another design preserving lots of buildings back of house. I threw this together for fun mostly to scare the life out of the DL diehards ;)

All in all I see plenty of reasons why the area surronding RoA needs to be shut down for the time being. Lots of very close, nearby construction which may or may not directly effect RoA.

Honestly best case scenario is we get something close to the first picture OR we get jipped a little bit. I'll take less than 14 acres (12-13 acres in DL fits waaaay better) if DL is willing to redo their backstage area and virtually nothing except for Big Thunder Ranch suffers. I hate to say it, but if DL isn't willing to sacrifice more of the backstage 14 acres is just too dang big to please everyone.

I threw together some really rough and crude mockups of where SWL may fit now in the DL board, way too off topic to post here.

From playing around with that it looks like the only way to keep everyone happy is shrink SWL a little (12-13 acres). If TWDC is unwilling to sacrifice space backstage 14 acres is just too big. Something has gotta go if they are unwilling to sacrifice back of house and inevitably someone is going to be upset.

doctornick

I threw together some really rough and crude mockups of where SWL may fit now in the DL board, way too off topic to post here.

From playing around with that it looks like the only way to keep everyone happy is shrink SWL a little (12-13 acres). If TWDC is unwilling to sacrifice space backstage 14 acres is just too big. Something has gotta go if they are unwilling to sacrifice back of house and inevitably someone is going to be upset.

I thought there was plans to move a significant number of backstage stuff -- it would be part of the large parking deck constructions across the street. In particular, I believe the huge animal storage facility would be replaced (with Big Thunder Ranch going away, it would mostly be unneeded, plus the horses were going to be moved off site and trucked in each morning for the Main Street vehicles).

Mouse Trap

I thought there was plans to move a significant number of backstage stuff -- it would be part of the large parking deck constructions across the street. In particular, I believe the huge animal storage facility would be replaced (with Big Thunder Ranch going away, it would mostly be unneeded, plus the horses were going to be moved off site and trucked in each morning for the Main Street vehicles).

I believe those were the original plans. With all this "talk" about paving over part of RoA DL is clearly refusing to either...

1) Sacrifice more backstage area
2) Get creative enough to disguise the train running through SWL. Very disappointing they can't figure out a way to do this as they have tons of options. Tunnels, show buildings...c'mon.

Monoblanco13

All the speculation and news is great about DCA, but isn't this thread for DHS? What's the chance of work starting the first week of Oct? Mainly Mon Oct 4th to be more precise.

boufa

All the speculation and news is great about DCA, but isn't this thread for DHS? What's the chance of work starting the first week of Oct? Mainly Mon Oct 4th to be more precise.

"Starting work" is a inexact measure. They likely will be starting something soon. There was a comment earlier in the threads that they would likely start TSL first. I would bet our first hard indication of work would be the demolition of parts of the back lot tour. Personally I'm surprised that it is closed, but still sitting there completely untouched.

I am certain that they are "working" on it now in one way or another. The plans are likely close to "final" and the construction company has been putting together schedules, and staging, and the like. A completely uneducated guess, we won't see anything physically happen that looks like either destruction or construction until December or January.

Monoblanco13

"Starting work" is a inexact measure. They likely will be starting something soon. There was a comment earlier in the threads that they would likely start TSL first. I would bet our first hard indication of work would be the demolition of parts of the back lot tour. Personally I'm surprised that it is closed, but still sitting there completely untouched.

I am certain that they are "working" on it now in one way or another. The plans are likely close to "final" and the construction company has been putting together schedules, and staging, and the like. A completely uneducated guess, we won't see anything physically happen that looks like either destruction or construction until December or January.

I just figured since the funds become available the new fiscal year which is Oct 1st they would start something. I am sure @danlb_2000 hasn't seen any new permits regarding phase 1 or 2 recently if I am correct. Especially now that they are on an "accelerated" track, I would like work to begin sooner than later. I do agree that the backstage would be touched first as it would be the most logical starting point. Any way I am eagerly awaiting news like everyone else.

Next Big Thing

I just figured since the funds become available the new fiscal year which is Oct 1st they would start something. I am sure @danlb_2000 hasn't seen any new permits regarding phase 1 or 2 recently if I am correct. Especially now that they are on an "accelerated" track, I would like work to begin sooner than later. I do agree that the backstage would be touched first as it would be the most logical starting point. Any way I am eagerly awaiting news like everyone else.
Once the fiscal year changes in a few days is the time to start looking out for stuff.

ToTBellHop

When I was looking at the maps and imagining the new setup for DL, I think one interesting point is that the new pathway for the railroad (cutting from Critter Country over part of the current RoA/TSI to just north of BTMRR) will provide a great barrier between the current lands and Star Wars land. All of Star Wars will be outside the RR berm, so you'll probably have an effect where you walk underneath the tracks from Frontierland or Critter Country and then *boom* enter Star Wars land for a maximal visual effect of the transition.

I do think this would mean that the buildings for DL's Star Wars will likely be smaller than those at DHS due to sightlines.
If they are taking out half of Rivers of America and Big Thunder Ranch, the land will not be found entirely beyond the railroad berm.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The Disneyland closures don't start until January 10th, and @Lee has said the DHS version of SWL would start later, so I don't think we will see anything related to SWL this year. We may see some things for TSL sooner.

CSUFSteve

I know this was sarcastic, but overall I think there were very few people lamenting the potential loss of ToonTown. Altering original attractions is a sure fire way of drawing the ire of the DL faithful.

Agree, I don't know anyone who DOESN'T want Toontown to go. I was surprised to see it spared. IMO, having SWL go around Toontown is awkward. I'd miss Roger Rabbit, but not if it means I have to keep the whole of Toontown.

It seems to me that on both coasts this is playing out strangely. On the west coast they are trying to integrate a sci fi land into a frontier environment and if the concept art shown so far ends up being close to the final result, the east coast is getting a land clearly designed for the west coast.

I don't necessarily agree here, thought obviously it depends on how it's ultimately blended in. The concept art clearly shows the primary visual elements of the land set back enough that there'd be plenty of visual buffer wherever they put it. And I could see the trees in Big Thunder Trail transitioning to SWL. And, as someone else said elsewhere, the path from Critter Country to SWL could really help with that, too. I'm guessing that show buildings would butt-up behind Toontown and so visually it might actually help Toontown if they theme the show building ala Plaza Pavillion and Tiki Room. And then the Fantasyland Theatre helps with visual intrusion there. Of course, "weenies" to tease SWL from other lands are consistent with Parks as well.

I'm somewhat surprised to read, if I read the myriad threads here correctly, that SWL at DHS would go in the back of the Park? To me, the Echo Lake made sense. And, frankly, I view everything from Dockside Diner to Lights,Motors,Action as usable space. If they built out a full Indy area and turned it into an attraction, OK, then keep Echo Lake :) And I admit from a crowd flow perspective, it makes more sense to put it at the back than at the front of the Park. I'd miss 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi Dine In a lot, too. There's just really nothing compelling on that side of the Park at all, IMHO.

DHS just sounds like one, big, hot mess...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom