Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would love ST to be prequel/OT only. That would indeed help it maintain a “purpose” in light of GE (i.e., doing things that GE cannot, like bringing us face-to-face with Darth Vader).

Unfortunately, they are committed to using ST for showing scenes connected to each new film release, so it doesn’t look like this dream will come true anytime soon...
One of the reporters that got the recent tour said that they have planned the land to be able to update it to another timeline or story. So, for example, if the current trilogy loses its shine three years from now, the can refresh the land to the first trilogy if they want. Similarly it can get updated to the next trilogy.

JohnD

You know, you just quoted my post pointing out that's not necessarily true. 😛

Actually, I quoted Drod1965.

As you could see I was playing catch up and reading through the posts. So since the original post was before yours, I hadn’t read yours yet. I’ll take your word for it about the door. If it says “Do not enter” I would figure it’s a door for CMs only.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
As you could see I was playing catch up and reading through the posts. So since the original post was before yours, I hadn’t read yours yet. I’ll take your word for it about the door. If it says “Do not enter” I would figure it’s a door for CMs only.
The sign is a lie. It leads to public guest area. Like I said, it's sometimes propped open.

RandySavage

In the grand scheme of how awesome and detailed this land looks, how they've dotted every i, and how many hundreds of millions were lavished on it, making the cockpit of this key visual element a flat instead of 3-dimensional, has got to be the most perplexing choice thus far.

Since the $ savings of doing so are almost nil vis-a-vis total land cost, I'm genuinely curious about the reasons behind the choice (and I don't buy "it looks exactly the same to guests on the ground", b/c the cockpit doesn't look 3-D below - whether that's psychological because I've seen aerials or the lack of any hint of depth (i.e., the front windshield seen through the glass ; hull sloping away), I don't know).
la-1551281222-d2lp8huqua-snap-image.jpeg

Edit: Has it been ruled out that they are still going to add the bulk of the cockpit? This pic makes it look like something could be attached to that black part...
53563770_2264008273642964_1652185038717976576_n.jpg

The model shows it as fully dimensional, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's forthcoming:

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

In the grand scheme of how awesome and detailed this land looks, how they've dotted every i, and how many hundreds of millions were lavished on it, making the cockpit of this key visual element a flat instead of 3-dimensional, has got to be the most perplexing choice thus far.

Since the $ savings of doing so are almost nil vis-a-vis total land cost, I'm genuinely curious about the reasons behind the choice (and I don't buy "it looks exactly the same to guests on the ground", b/c the cockpit doesn't look 3-D below - whether that's psychological because I've seen aerials or the lack of any hint of depth (i.e., the front windshield seen through the glass ; hull sloping away), I don't know).
la-1551281222-d2lp8huqua-snap-image.jpeg

Edit: Has it been ruled out that they are still going to add the bulk of the cockpit? This pic makes it look like something could be attached to that black part...
53563770_2264008273642964_1652185038717976576_n.jpg

The model shows it as fully dimensional, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's forthcoming:
View attachment 353713

It appears to me in that aerial that the cockpit hasn't been attached yet.

HMF

I'll be looking for some sort of shout-out to Ackmena at Oga's cantina. I'd like to think they both rose up the ranks together before managing their own places.
Shockingly Ackmena is still canon even if her most famous appearance is not

RandySavage

The Anaheim version got fully skinned. It'll be really odd if Orlando's doesn't in the end considering how they're trying to make both lands as exactly the same as possible.
Are you sure? The Feb 27 Fresh Baked video shows it in the exact same form as Orlando's: rear section dimensional, front section a flat.

Chet Dakota

I would love ST to be prequel/OT only. That would indeed help it maintain a “purpose” in light of GE (i.e., doing things that GE cannot, like bringing us face-to-face with Darth Vader).

Unfortunately, they are committed to using ST for showing scenes connected to each new film release, so it doesn’t look like this dream will come true anytime soon...

I believe that the “dream” should be incorporating ST into GE at DHS.

RandySavage

View attachment 353719

View attachment 353720

I see Anaheim's rear section full clad, while Orlando's is half clad. Makes me think they're not done.
Those pics show opposite sides of the craft though. The 1st pic shows the rear (completed) of Anaheim. The 2nd pic shows the front cockpit side (with actual cockpit missing) of Orlando. The afts of both look completed in those pics.

1:34 of the video show that cockpit flat jutting out, as in Orlando.

Regardless, I hope you're right and they will flesh the whole craft out. Wishful thinking, but perhaps there is a Special Effect element (like the Mon Calamari head in Star Tours queue) to the cockpit, and that's why it hasn't been attached yet...

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Those pics show opposite sides of the craft though. The 1st pic shows the rear (completed) of Anaheim. The 2nd pic shows the front cockpit side (with actual cockpit missing) of Orlando. The afts of both look completed in those pics.

1:34 of the video show that cockpit flat jutting out, as in Orlando.

Regardless, I hope you're right and they will flesh the whole craft out. Wishful thinking, but perhaps there is a Special Effect element (like the Mon Calamari head in Star Tours queue) to the cockpit, and that's why it hasn't been attached yet...

Ah, you're right. So... I dunno. :(

Marc Davis Fan

I believe that the “dream” should be incorporating ST into GE at DHS.

I think adding in a weaker, “old fashioned” attraction would bring down the overall quality of GE. The GE attractions should all be “WOW!”-inducing, especially because many people would be confused and think ST is one of the big new attractions. But this is just my humble opinion; I know and respect that others differ greatly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom