Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Goofyernmost

daily concrete pours they are catching up a good size pour this morning.
I don't understand that thought pattern. They have no plans to catch up anything. They want to stagger the openings for whatever reasons they have and you can bet your bottom dollar that it will remain staggered even if WDW was done first. (it won't be, just saying) Any number of things can influence completion and since they are located on opposite sides of the continent there is no way of knowing if one or the other might get affected by weather. If they get it open within the time they are planning it will be a miracle considering the track record of these builds.

matt9112

:jawdrop: OMG I WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN! ! ! ! I am so happy right now! So many truly epic moments. I mean no it wasn’t perfect but I have not felt like that in a movie since I was a kid watching Empire Strikes Back. Now someone please put me in hypersleep until 2019 so I don’t have to wait that long for the next one! :happy::joyfull::geek:

I enjoyed it myself but there was too many slow points IMHO . also as an adult practicality gaps in design and implementation now bother me lol. for example the lack of dedicated AAA in a universe that "appears to favor small fighter based warfare vs (battleships) generally speaking. I'm not even talking about the fact that warfare wouldn't be conducted this way with the level of tech we see. suspending disbelief that for some reason this is how they fight there's still massive gaps of reality.

bclane

I enjoyed it myself but there was too many slow points IMHO . also as an adult practicality gaps in design and implementation now bother me lol. for example the lack of dedicated AAA in a universe that "appears to favor small fighter based warfare vs (battleships) generally speaking. I'm not even talking about the fact that warfare wouldn't be conducted this way with the level of tech we see. suspending disbelief that for some reason this is how they fight there's still massive gaps of reality.
I definitely go into a Star Wars movie with a different mind set than for something like the Martian. I love both types of Scifi but Star Wars is by far my favorite movie universe. I am dying to see TLJ again!

britain

Question for @marni1971:

Those two boxy shafts at the top of battle escape. Are they the sort of thing that will explain themselves after we have gone on the ride (i.e. "Oh, so THAT's why they needed those shafts!") or will it remain an operational necessity unknown to the general public (like utilidors)?

upload_2017-12-21_14-59-32.png

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Question for @marni1971:

Those two boxy shafts at the top of battle escape. Are they the sort of thing that will explain themselves after we have gone on the ride (i.e. "Oh, so THAT's why they needed those shafts!") or will it remain an operational necessity unknown to the general public (like utilidors)?

View attachment 251499
Their use should be apparent.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't understand that thought pattern. They have no plans to catch up anything. They want to stagger the openings for whatever reasons they have and you can bet your bottom dollar that it will remain staggered even if WDW was done first. (it won't be, just saying) Any number of things can influence completion and since they are located on opposite sides of the continent there is no way of knowing if one or the other might get affected by weather. If they get it open within the time they are planning it will be a miracle considering the track record of these builds.

There's no reason to slow down. The opening year isn't going to change so there should be no concern about spreading costs. You don't want construction equipment and partially built buildings to be exposed to the weather any longer than they need to. DHS can finish up early and they can still stagger the opening if they want to by having several months of 'testing' and previews for select groups. At the rate they're pushing TSL through, it seems that the 'slow build' mentality doesn't exist for DHS at the moment. Someone is recognizing how bereft DHS is of attractions and is lighting a fire under construction. Look how they scrambled to add some pretty nice Christmas upgrades to DHS.

Goofyernmost

There's no reason to slow down. The opening year isn't going to change so there should be no concern about spreading costs. You don't want construction equipment and partially built buildings to be exposed to the weather any longer than they need to. DHS can finish up early and they can still stagger the opening if they want to by having several months of 'testing' and previews for select groups. At the rate they're pushing TSL through, it seems that the 'slow build' mentality doesn't exist for DHS at the moment. Someone is recognizing how bereft DHS is of attractions and is lighting a fire under construction. Look how they scrambled to add some pretty nice Christmas upgrades to DHS.
I'm not saying that they are going to slow down, but, I would be willing to bet anything I have that it will not open until the date that they have decided on. By then all the buildings will be buttoned up and safe and sound from the elements. They don't want it to open before or at the same time as DL and that is what is going to happen. They are coming along fine with the construction and it all seems to be pretty close to on schedule. I just don't understand the constant thought that it is some kind of contest. It never has been about money, there is some other reason and none of us, not ever our illustrious insiders really know what it is. All they know is what they have been told.

AEfx

If this land is cannon, when does it take place?

I think people are taking "canon" in this case a bit too literally.

Although some seem to think it will be exclusively Sequel Trilogy based, that doesn't even make sense from the stand point of "synergy" as they are making films outside of that timeline, as well (the upcoming Han Solo movie, the rumored Boba / Yoda / Obi-wan films, etc). Disney marketing also knows perfectly well that it's the OT fans that spend the big bucks on merchandise, etc.

The land itself is canon, but it isn't going to be stuck in any one time period. That's a big part of the reason that they made a new, unique land to begin with. Because that way, anyone can pretty much show up at any time. I don't think you will see events/meet and greets/etc. where you have, say ANH Leia, Old Luke, and Young Obi-wan together, but at different times, I'm sure they will all appear.

Guests, including (if not especially) big Star Wars fans are going to have no problem suspending disbelief in this way, because it means a much larger variety of characters that will be involved. It would make no sense for them to suspend the land in one timeframe, as it would inherently limit too much.

AEfx

I'm not saying that they are going to slow down, but, I would be willing to bet anything I have that it will not open until the date that they have decided on. By then all the buildings will be buttoned up and safe and sound from the elements. They don't want it to open before or at the same time as DL and that is what is going to happen.

I actually think they would very much like it to open at exactly the same time as Disneyland. It makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint. Just like the initial announcement where they were able to put the twin logos of "coming to" Disneyland and WDW resort together is just priceless. Finally, Disney can advertise both coasts together.

What I think they will do is stagger the "official" openings to drag out the publicity. And while we know both coasts are going to face unprecedented issues with logistics and the numbers of guests, it makes sense to do Disneyland officially first, as the rabid WDW fanbase is going to know exactly when it "soft opens" and will be ramped up accordingly. But I expect them to actually be open, as in, functional, at nearly the same time - and that WDW's may not have its "official" grand opening until some time after.

BlindChow

Those two boxy shafts at the top of battle escape. Are they the sort of thing that will explain themselves after we have gone on the ride or will it remain an operational necessity unknown to the general public (like utilidors)?

View attachment 251499
It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The shaft leads directly to the reactor system. A precise hit could start a chain reaction which would destroy the station!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I actually think they would very much like it to open at exactly the same time as Disneyland. It makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint. Just like the initial announcement where they were able to put the twin logos of "coming to" Disneyland and WDW resort together is just priceless. Finally, Disney can advertise both coasts together.

What I think they will do is stagger the "official" openings to drag out the publicity. And while we know both coasts are going to face unprecedented issues with logistics and the numbers of guests, it makes sense to do Disneyland officially first, as the rabid WDW fanbase is going to know exactly when it "soft opens" and will be ramped up accordingly. But I expect them to actually be open, as in, functional, at nearly the same time - and that WDW's may not have its "official" grand opening until some time after.

I have always felt just the opposite on this. I don't see anything that would have prevented them from opening them at the same time, so I have always assumed that this was a business decision and not a practical one driven by some construction constraint. Maybe @marni1971 has some insight on this.

Goofyernmost

From a marketing standpoint it makes no sense at all to open at the same time. For one thing having staggered openings allows people from the east coast to travel to the west and be one of the first to see the land = more revenue.

Second, this is the biggest thing to hit DL or WDW perhaps since they opened. The big wheels cannot be in two places at once and they are going to make a huge deal out of this. Again, unless they are cloned, they cannot be in two places at once. There would be absolutely no benefit to opening both at the same time, just a logistical nightmare.

Third any build has phases, land prep., utility prep., rough build, interior build, rock work, detail work and landscaping. Since this is a very specialized project many of the same craftsmen will be needed for both projects. Staggering them even by a couple of months allows for skilled and experience people to work on both. It is actually a benefit for WDW to be later in the process.

There is no reason to have it open on both coasts at the same time and a boatload of reasons not too. Just the idea of both parks having it's own special opening is incentive enough.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have always felt just the opposite on this. I don't see anything that would have prevented them from opening them at the same time, so I have always assumed that this was a business decision and not a practical one driven by some construction constraint. Maybe @marni1971 has some insight on this.
I’ve always understood it to be business.

AEfx

From a marketing standpoint it makes no sense at all to open at the same time. For one thing having staggered openings allows people from the east coast to travel to the west and be one of the first to see the land = more revenue.

Second, this is the biggest thing to hit DL or WDW perhaps since they opened. The big wheels cannot be in two places at once and they are going to make a huge deal out of this. Again, unless they are cloned, they cannot be in two places at once. There would be absolutely no benefit to opening both at the same time, just a logistical nightmare.

While I think that it is difficult to over-estimate the demand that these lands are going to bring, I think you are severely over-thinking that people are going to want to go to both. I frequent a lot of Star Wars sites, and the most common thing you see from folks is relief that they are both going to be nearly identical because they are only planning on going to one. Only crazy Disney geeks at sites like this even really entertain going to both coasts for anything. The average person in general just knows that the difference between Disneyland and WDW period is that the latter is "bigger", they seem them as having very similar offerings (even if you and I know that isn't exactly the case).

As I said, I think for the sake of publicity (the news articles, etc.) they will stagger the "official" openings, so they get two rounds of press coverage, but in terms of actual operating - yes, it makes perfect sense for them to both be operational as soon as possible for those very logistical reasons. Disneyland simply cannot handle being the only park with a SWL for any length of time. This is going to bring such massive crowds to both that indeed, we are going to be talking holiday-level park shut-down phases for quite some time.

And once both are open, you bet your bottom dollar that Disney is indeed going to publicize them both together. Just like they did in the initial announcement where they said "Coming soon to Disneyland Resort and WDW". This is a dream for Disney marketing, because they have to be so regionally focused in their campaigns and promotions up until now. Disney very well wants you to know that you can have nearly identical experiences on either coast, which is part of the reason this was all designed this way to begin with. If they were thinking as you are, they would have split attractions and made them somewhat unique, which is the opposite of how they have handled this since the very first announcement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom