A Spirited Perfect Ten

CDavid

What you keep describing is decoration and placelessness. Shoving in fake details to fill space is decorating. Not having a strong associated visual identity is placelessness.

Decoration is what was applied to Disney's value resorts ("crimes against fiberglass") in lieu of actual themeing.

The addition of added details and features in the interpretation of a (sometimes poorly defined) location or structure/vehicle from cinema or literature is rather necessary and appropriate in the creation of real-world environments. It is hardly just decoration. Few movies or novels supply anywhere near the level of precise detail needed to faithfully reproduce the locales depicted in the story. Indeed, that was once part of the presentation by the Disney-MGM Studios (when it was ostensibly a working studio); A set is only built-out sufficiently for the camera, its not a complete structure.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Now. But with the synergy of the park, I believe they and the brand will gain popularity. It will be a long slough, but it will work.

There is no way in hades that the park gets 25 million "PAYING" customers through the gate the first year.
Agreed. That's an average of close to 70,000 guests a day. Even MK can't handle that volume very effectively. Seems like a lot of guests. I think many pages back we had speculated that the 25 million was total visitors including the shopping and entertainment area not just the park itself.

lazyboy97o

Huh? It's a theme park. It's going to be full of fake details. So then TOT is just decorated? How about Africa in DAK (Harambe Vilage)? Honestly, if that's the case I'm quite fine with just decoration.
By that definition, aren't all theme park lands/attractions guilty of decoration and placelessness? I'm not sure how that's a negative on the project.
Good theme parks are generated by their theme. Tower of Terror is rooted in how a hotel would look, not just whatever would look good with hotel items thrown in. The same for Harambe, it is patterned after a village. Redesigning Tatooine to work in completely different ways is not the same. yes, there could be fabulous downtown Mos Eisley we never got to see, but it directly contradicts what is seen and said about the place.

Decoration is what was applied to Disney's value resorts ("crimes against fiberglass") in lieu of actual themeing.

The addition of added details and features in the interpretation of a (sometimes poorly defined) location or structure/vehicle from cinema or literature is rather necessary and appropriate in the creation of real-world environments. It is hardly just decoration. Few movies or novels supply anywhere near the level of precise detail needed to faithfully reproduce the locales depicted in the story. Indeed, that was once part of the presentation by the Disney-MGM Studios (when it was ostensibly a working studio); A set is only built-out sufficiently for the camera, its not a complete structure.
Particularly in the case of Tatooine, it is already established as a minimalist environment. Adding in more elements to create visual interest beyond the established aesthetic is exactly the same as the Value Resorts. It's about being faithful to the source, and that means carrying on what was established, not rejecting it because it has no actual interest.

doctornick

Particularly in the case of Tatooine, it is already established as a minimalist environment. Adding in more elements to create visual interest beyond the established aesthetic is exactly the same as the Value Resorts. It's about being faithful to the source, and that means carrying on what was established, not rejecting it because it has no actual interest.

This doesn't look minimalist to me:

Mos_Espa_2.png

mos-eisley-star-wars-episode-7-first-look-set-pictures-tatooine-is-nothing-like-you-remember.jpeg

MosEisley-celebration.png

You can easily build upon the already-established-in-the-movies aesthetic and actually fill in those buildings with, I dunno, the kind of stuff you'd find in a frontier spaceport.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good theme parks are generated by their theme. Tower of Terror is rooted in how a hotel would look, not just whatever would look good with hotel items thrown in. The same for Harambe, it is patterned after a village. Redesigning Tatooine to work in completely different ways is not the same. yes, there could be fabulous downtown Mos Eisley we never got to see, but it directly contradicts what is seen and said about the place.

OK last try for me. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it seems pretty easy to do to me. So forget about calling it Tatooine or Mos Eisley. They can simply build a spaceport on some planet in the SW Universe that's patterned after Mos Eisley with known Star Wars characters and ships. I'm sure they can create a backstory. Disney has a backstory for everything. It can even have it's own Cantina with a snazzy band. If the hangup is they can't redesign Tatooine because we've already seen it in the movies than just create another environment inspired by the SW Universe. That's pretty much what they did with Star Tours. It has the look and feel of a place from the SW Universe, but isn't modeled after a particular set.

Like I said a few pages back, this will not go over well with the Star Wars purists, but the land isn't really being built for them.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
It is surprising, maybe parents have a lot to do with it. They don't see star wars as family friendly as toy story and just refuse to even give it a second thought.

The height limit has a lot to do with it. There are always parents measuring little ones that are too short to ride and leave unaware that they do special runs at certain times of the day with no movement so little ones can ride.

Lee

Adventurer
Something interesting that I saw today...

After a flurry of recent articles in the media that read like PR puff pieces, the Motley Fool had one today that was refreshingly honest.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...s-magic.aspx?source=isesitlnk0000001&mrr=0.50

What I found most intriguing was that Rich Greenfield was the analyst who downgraded the Disney stock this week, from buy to neutral. According to what I've been told, Mr. Greenfield is no stranger to Viacom and the Redstone family.

I wonder if he's read a certain article about Disney and China, and sees that situation as one of the "headwinds" the company will be facing.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Long time listener, first time caller here.

Admittedly I am a huge SW fan, so I will be in line to open DHS (or whatever it's going to be called by then), as soon as any SW expansion is added to the park. Whatever it may be. And I guess I agree with the "SW is all landscapes, not places" argument. However, I do believe that there are specific places you could pull from each planet that could work.

1. Tatooine: Mos Eisley. DUH. Make it a QS. Even have an animatronic band a la Cosmic Ray's. Just you know, better & less Showbiz Pizza. I mean, Chuck E. Cheese.
2. Tatooine: Could also do Pod Racers ride.
3. Hoth: Rebel Base.
4. Endor: Ewok village. Could make this a play area. A relevant Tow Sawyer/Swiss Family area. You could add a speeder ride so no one gets their panties in a bunch about having a child specific area in WDW. (Although I think that last part would be stupid, I think pod racers would be a better attraction & I think the rides would be too similar).
5. Coruscant: Jedi Temple. Move JTA to it. How awesome would it be for the little younglings to have JTA in the temple? Ok, I may have just had a slight fangirl moment there. Forgive.
6. Could City.
7. Dagobah: I agree I'm at a loss here. It's just a swamp. Now, you could do some type of 'Turtle Talk' rip-off with Yoda. And before you all kill me, I'm not saying I would like that.
8. Naboo: The Palace. Although this would be a complete waste of space, because it isn't heavily covered in the films.

I know that 7 & 8 are complete trash, I just added them to the list for kicks & giggles. Do I know exactly what type of attraction could be in each location? Nope. But I've obviously done enough armchair imagineering for the night. Plus, it's all probably moot, because aren't they planning on using stuff from the new films?? I do believe that SW certainly has enough "places" to be able to pull off a fantastic area. And I don't see a problem with transition, for reasons that other have stated, but I don't feel like quoting.

My takes...

Update the exterior of ST to Mos Eisly space port, extend theme to backlot to include the falcon (walk through) with maybe a couple full size tie fighters located relatively close and the cantina where BLE is today. Replace the Sounds Dangerous and AIE theaters with a Jedi Temple, we learned there are more than one, who says there isn't one on Tatooine?!? Inside have Jedi Training Academy and a Jedi Council Q & A. The council could be by hologram except an AA Jedi or two in character to answer youngling questions about the force and good vs evil. Inside the JTA push the interactive lightsabers that you customize with the crystal you earned during your training.

On the backside of JTA they wouldhave a storm trooper training center where guests practice shooting down X-Wings or piloting AT-ATs or tie fighters. You could even have a join the dark side side where guests choose to learn with Vader/Darth Maul instead of a Jedi. This would double the flow and provide a secondary experience.

Last, replace LMA with either a pod racing ride or a land speeder chase ride with AA storm troopers shooting at you because you have the C3PO and R2 on the back with a low height requirement so even young children can enjoy.

Stitchon

I do worry that Disney has jumped on the mall bandwagon without realising the psychology of *why* the Brazilians flock to Florida Mall and the outlets - it's all about trying to get cheap stuff.

Disney is spending millions to build a mall for them and keep them from going off-property, but while Disney Springs will showcase designer luxury brands, I doubt they'll be at significantly cheaper prices than anywhere else, unlike the rival mall's offerings.

Millenia seems to do just fine with a monster Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus, Jimmy Choo and the like. The key will be maintaining a variety. If the tenant lineup is anything like the "vision board", then you'll have destination retailers like Topshop and Uniqlo (presumably signed to exclusivity within the Orlando area) that people will flock to.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Something interesting that I saw today...

After a flurry of recent articles in the media that read like PR puff pieces, the Motley Fool had one today that was refreshingly honest.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...s-magic.aspx?source=isesitlnk0000001&mrr=0.50

What I found most intriguing was that Rich Greenfield was the analyst who downgraded the Disney stock this week, from buy to neutral. According to what I've been told, Mr. Greenfield is no stranger to Viacom and the Redstone family.

I wonder if he's read a certain article about Disney and China, and sees that situation as one of the "headwinds" the company will be facing.

It begins...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom